5D Mark V wish list

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
peters said:
- swivel screen, but this won't ever happen

I think a tilty-flippy will be on every model other than perhaps the 'survive the worst' 1-series and 7-series cameras. I fully expect a 5D5 to be a tilty-flippy, but the 5DS2 may or may not get one based on how much 5D4 body design it inherits. We shall see.

- A

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
docsmith said:
basketballfreak6 said:
to me 5d4 was one of those looks boring on paper but you really feel the difference when you use it type upgrade compared to the 5d3

^^^ This

Owned the 5DIII, didn't upgrade to the 5DIV until a refurbished deal hit the market. Great/amazing camera. 20% improvement in a number of features really adds up.

But, if I were to think of what else I would want, it really is not much, I am very happy with the 5DIV, but:
  • 9-10 fps
  • illuminated AF points in viewfinder (currently they flash)
  • Wider AF spread
  • longer battery life (granted, I've hit 1,200-1,500 shots per battery, but if I shoot much (2K) video, I am often 500-800)
  • More powerful battery to drive AF (its time to move on from the LP-E6N)
  • Bigger buffer, faster writespeed to cards, especially SD (if the V still has SD)
  • I do not use 4K video, but if I ever wanted, I would want smaller file sizes, so better options there

I essentially want the 5DV to be a bit sportier. So the 5D sport version.

I would not want more MP. That would be a negative for me. To me, the 5D line should be split between the high resolution 5DS and the sportier 5DV.

But the 5DIV is more than enough camera for me right now. I am not worried about what comes next. What I have now is great.

agree with much but I want to put my 1Dx battery in the 5D M5 grip. No more small batteries.

Upvote 0
I'll never get why people are so fanatic about the video functions...
If you want to make serious good videos to play on your high-end flatscreen, why not use a true film making camera and anamorphic cine lenses?
Canon also builds those, you can rent them. Your smartphone already does 4K/60fps? Fine, then use it. Tape it to your EF lenses! ;D

I don't need video and I don't like to pay for video functions in a tool that I only use for photography.
I wish Canon would drop all that video crap that is useless to many photographers and just give us at least one best available, affordable FF camera on the market...one that beats all other manufacturers because it was only built for one purpose - deliver the best photographs. Let other brands provide overheating can-do-everything-micky-mouse-gadgets. :p

What else is on my wishlist?
- somewhat less weight, but not significantly! Keep the balance.

- in-camera focus-stacking (I want to set a start-point, finish-point and a number for how many steps/images I desire)

- spot metering for all af-points

- illuminated af-points

- in-camera eye piece cover mechanism! ::)

- NO more megapixels! Please keep the 5DS updated for all people who don't think that 30MP is enough.

- ND-Mode! A combination of Av and Bulb - I want the camera to give me correct exposure values even with a filter on the lens. No 30sec Limit! No more apps, no more charts, no more arithmetic. Or at least let me explain to the camera what filters are on there, so it can do the math for me.
Maybe by picking a common available nd-filter from a list in the menu, so the camera can use best values/white balance for different brands, I'm sure there are small differences.

Well, I can see advantages of a flip-screen, but I prefer robustness. The LiveView is still enough for me to take photos right on the ground. As far as I know Canon stated that the 5DIV didn't get a flip-screen for breaking point reasons. Who would want his 4000$ camera's flip screen to make crunchy noises after using it under bad dusty, sandy conditions?

Dual OVF-EVF sounds nice, but I'd have to try it - again I don't like to pay for features that I don't need.
And I'm still not convinced by EVF, I just get sick by using it, like headache. I need my OVF!

Sorry for some harsh writing, no offense.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Rowk said:
I'll never get why people are so fanatic about the video functions...
If you want to make serious good videos to play on your high-end flatscreen, why not use a true film making camera and anamorphic cine lenses?
Canon also builds those, you can rent them. Your smartphone already does 4K/60fps? Fine, then use it. Tape it to your EF lenses! ;D

I don't need video and I don't like to pay for video functions in a tool that I only use for photography.
I wish Canon would drop all that video crap that is useless to many photographers and just give us at least one best available, affordable FF camera on the market...one that beats all other manufacturers because it was only built for one purpose - deliver the best photographs. Let other brands provide overheating can-do-everything-micky-mouse-gadgets. :p

What else is on my wishlist?
- somewhat less weight, but not significantly! Keep the balance.

- in-camera focus-stacking (I want to set a start-point, finish-point and a number for how many steps/images I desire)

- spot metering for all af-points

- illuminated af-points

- in-camera eye piece cover mechanism! ::)

- NO more megapixels! Please keep the 5DS updated for all people who don't think that 30MP is enough.

- ND-Mode! A combination of Av and Bulb - I want the camera to give me correct exposure values even with a filter on the lens. No 30sec Limit! No more apps, no more charts, no more arithmetic. Or at least let me explain to the camera what filters are on there, so it can do the math for me.
Maybe by picking a common available nd-filter from a list in the menu, so the camera can use best values/white balance for different brands, I'm sure there are small differences.

Well, I can see advantages of a flip-screen, but I prefer robustness. The LiveView is still enough for me to take photos right on the ground. As far as I know Canon stated that the 5DIV didn't get a flip-screen for breaking point reasons. Who would want his 4000$ camera's flip screen to make crunchy noises after using it under bad dusty, sandy conditions?

Dual OVF-EVF sounds nice, but I'd have to try it - again I don't like to pay for features that I don't need.
And I'm still not convinced by EVF, I just get sick by using it, like headache. I need my OVF!

Sorry for some harsh writing, no offense.

:) Hummmm... I lived in the Mojave desert for years. Had a T5i and a 70D. Took photos even in dust storms. Never heard none of them crunchy noises. The screens aren't really built in a way that it would be much of an issue, if at all.

As far as live view for getting on the ground being just fine: Maybe for you, but not for some. It isn't much fun to lay on the ground when it is hotter than hell, wet, muddy, rocky, snow everywhere, icy or when there are sheepshead stickers all over the place. Us old guys love those articulated screens. Really saves the knees, elbows, hips, and we don't have to worry as much about getting stuck down there. ;) They are probably a huge help for a disabled person too. They are good for lots of other situations too. Like when one is at the pool or beach and doesn't want to get busted taking candid shots of women in bikinis.

I hope the 5D Mark V has one of those screens. I never broke one on my cameras and a screen can get broken on any camera.

I'm with you on the video, but some here have explained before that the feature doesn't really add to the cost. I think their reasoning is that the hardware is already there and it is just a matter of software. If that's true it doesn't bother me. I don't use it though. Well, except for when I use live view. I guess that would be video, but it isn't getting recorded.

Of course we'd all be happier not paying for features we don't need, but these cameras are made for the mass market. As a result, we will always pay for features we don't want or need. No getting around that.

Upvote 0
CanonFanBoy said:
:) Hummmm... I lived in the Mojave desert for years. Had a T5i and a 70D. Took photos even in dust storms. Never heard none of them crunchy noises. The screens aren't really built in a way that it would be much of an issue, if at all.

As far as live view for getting on the ground being just fine: Maybe for you, but not for some. It isn't much fun to lay on the ground when it is hotter than hell, wet, muddy, rocky, snow everywhere, icy or when there are sheepshead stickers all over the place. Us old guys love those articulated screens. Really saves the knees, elbows, hips, and we don't have to worry as much about getting stuck down there. ;) They are probably a huge help for a disabled person too. They are good for lots of other situations too. Like when one is at the pool or beach and doesn't want to get busted taking candid shots of women in bikinis.

I hope the 5D Mark V has one of those screens. I never broke one on my cameras and a screen can get broken on any camera.

I'm with you on the video, but some here have explained before that the feature doesn't really add to the cost. I think their reasoning is that the hardware is already there and it is just a matter of software. If that's true it doesn't bother me. I don't use it though. Well, except for when I use live view. I guess that would be video, but it isn't getting recorded.

Of course we'd all be happier not paying for features we don't need, but these cameras are made for the mass market. As a result, we will always pay for features we don't want or need. No getting around that.
Those old people could buy a 6DII, but I guess they would prefer mirrorless due to the weight. ;D

I didn't mean that I lay on the ground using LiveView...I kneel and use it for shots that look like you were laying on the ground. I assume even with the flip screen you also have to kneel at least, or how does it work to stand and take ground shots? I've never seen anyone bend over and hold the cam right between the toes. That would be yoga-mastery! :D

Another point where I have to disagree - the hardware for professional video work is imo not there inside a DSLR or DSLM - they overheat! As far as I know that's also why Canon has the cropped 4K...overheating and filesize issues. The cost also rises with more hours the programmers have to put into the software, codecs, etc...

Another point on my wishlist would be wider AF coverage - that means I want more AF points near the edge of the viewer.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Rowk said:
CanonFanBoy said:

Those old people could buy a 6DII, but I guess they would prefer mirrorless due to the weight. ;D

I didn't mean that I lay on the ground using LiveView...I kneel and use it for shots that look like you were laying on the ground. I assume even with the flip screen you also have to kneel at least, or how does it work to stand and take ground shots? I've never seen anyone bend over and hold the cam right between the toes. That would be yoga-mastery! :D

Another point on my wishlist would be wider AF coverage - that means I want more AF points near the edge of the viewer.

Yup. One still kneels, but the screen is pointing up to one's eyes and not straight ahead. Composition is much easier that way because one can actually see what the camera is pointed at. One could also bend at the waist and do it. I have. There are many situations where the articulated screen helps get a shot or makes possible a shot that would otherwise be guessing. Don't have the either crop camera anymore, but that and the touch screen is all I miss.

Yes, a wider spread and more AF points would be very nice.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
In August I made pictures of the eclipse with my T3i. I used live view rather than looking through the viewfinder. Not only was the flippy screen more convenient, but also there was not the risk of being blinded. It was hard to see the screen even with it in the shadow of the camera, but I needed it for focusing and to get the sun in the frame every few minutes.

This spring I used the 6D2 with the 100mm macro to take pictures of the crocuses in front of my house. Crocuses are very close to the ground. I used the flippy screen rather than lying on the ground. I would have done that if I weren’t an old man.

Upvote 0

hmatthes

EOS-R, RF and EF Lenses of all types.
Dual SD UHS-II slots. SD cards are fast nowadays, and I need neither the bent CF pins nor as popular as Betamax CFast.
YES! The Fujifilm GFX uses dual SD UHS-II slots with its 50Mpixel sensor and huge RAW files. Sending RAW to one slot, JPEG to the other does not slow it down.
CF etc. is dead imho

Upvote 0
principal issues for me :
1) big improvement in low light and dynamic range (I shoot nightscape, night sports, always need to recover shadows...) canon is so late with these point. I could get a sony just for this ...
2) A better vidéo codec (the weight of the files are just a big joke on 5D4) and maybe an electronic stabilisation (I know it won't happen but ...)

and then :
3) No AA filter (maybe on the S version ..)
3)- +1 or 2 fps with a slightly better focus
4) Tilt screen why not but it's not the main issue for the moment

(Sorry for my bad english ;p)

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I see wish lists that include more shots per second. I’m curious as to the need for that. I’ve turned on that mode just to see that it works, but never thought of any practical use for me. I have done exposure bracketing with the G7X II, where three shots are fired sequentially, but that’s it.

I can see how a sports or bif photographer might trust to luck that a burst might capture the optimum moment rather than their skill and reflexes, and how more fps could improve the odds.

I was at a press conference a couple weeks ago, and I kept hearing a camera take bursts of five or six shots. Somehow it wouldn’t occur to me to do that. A speaker standing at a podium is not my idea of fast action.

Back in the film era I could understand why one might impress people with a motorized drive and be considered a real pro, but nor so much in digital era.

Upvote 0
I want a removable wireless monocular that straps on my head as a EVF for the camera I hold. It can be slid back on the body if used as a traditional EVF.
I want it to have Eye detect focus as Canon had years ago. As well as LCD touch screen
I want it to have Wifi built in...
and YES! How dare you NOT have illuminates focus points regardless of scene brightness!
I should also be able to mount it on my wrist
When holding it in hand I would like a revolver style mount changer for 3 lenses. Like on a microscope.
The mount would support larger lenses as well as EOS mount
The sensor would be a 6x7 size and I could adapt RZ glass to it.
It would be at least 50mpixels. The sensor can be replaced like a cpu chip. Options would be speed vs mpixels
It would be 9 to 12fps
It would have a buffer capable of 50 Raw with multi write so it would virtually be continuos
Built in time lapse and intervelometer (this should be standard on all)
The body would be in any of the 15 colors available.
Would have importable Capture1 edit settings to apply for external larger client monitor viewing.
Who cares if it doesn't have the Canon RF for strobe built in. You should never have invested in that system.
All the buttons would be back lit as an option.
NO AA FILTER. Better yet, make one removable. And IR removable for BnW imagery/terraferma.

I think the above is a good start in the right direction of image capture in 2018. Its about time to KICK IT UP A NOTCH ALREADY!!
STOP HORDING TECHNOLOGY!!

Upvote 0
RAW image conversion/processing/cropping of photos whilst connected to wireless and also whilst transmitting other photos
File transfer progress bar/percentage info
Export of RAW as well as JPEG format to remote devices via WiFi using Canon Camera Connect
Improved/more stable WiFi connection
In-camera image rotation in 0.1 degree increments via rear dial
Greater fidelity of in-camera crop sizing
More, higher-quality, wider-spread focus points
Brighter, permanently illuminated focus points
Faster, more accurate auto focus
Fold-out tilty flippy screen
Fewer, larger pixels with improved high-ISO/low light
Improved weather sealing
Live view + flash working
USB-C with internal battery charging and fast file transfer off of cards via USB
Audio tagging of images
Lighter
Switchable 4k crop/full-width sensor readout at all video resolutions
"ISO25" or up to 1/16,000 shutter speed
Brighter rear screen
Auto lens focus calibration/mirrorless with very HQ EVF & eye-detect auto focus
Remove paintbrush button

Upvote 0
oh, one more thing...Canon, please redesign the loathsome battery tray that currently blights the 5D4 grip. The previous design functioned perfectly. It's unfathomable that this got past the design assessments during development. Thank you...

-pw
I used to get intermittent loss of power on the old grip design, only resolvable by removing and reinserting the battery tray. I don't with the 5D4 grip. Granted the tray doesn't feel as solid, but anything that's lighter and actually works better is fine by me.

Upvote 0