5D Mark V wish list

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
BillB said:
I can't see much point in bumping the sensor up a couple of megapixels.

It will go up with high confidence. I'm not aware of a single spec that justifies (at launch) or defends (over time) a product's price better than a higher resolution does.

Consider: We haven't had a FF body get 'sequeled' without a > 1 MP resolution bump since the 5D3 some 6 years ago. I think we should expect a res bump every 4-5 years when these rigs get updated.

- A

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
ahsanford said:
Consider: We haven't had a FF body get 'sequeled' without a > 1 MP resolution bump since the 5D3 some 6 years ago. I think we should expect a res bump every 4-5 years when these rigs get updated.

- A

Err, the 1DS MkIII - 1DX - 1DX MkII.

The 1 series isn't back to the same resolution it had two generations ago.

Upvote 0
Mar 21, 2013
Antono Refa said:

You don't have to...

Antono Refa said:
I wonder why.

Don't hurt yourself.

Antono Refa said:

Not you, it seems. Narrow vision and narrow minded thinking... when we get to 120MP at 10fps... I'm sure CFast will not be useful. Again, don't think too much... you're going to hurt yourself.

Antono Refa said:
Some people seem to not realize 4K & high fps are niche features.

Oh is it? DSLRs Period are a niche product. Spending time here... arguing -> niche environment.

Antono Refa said:
Oh, do they?

Obviously you aren't...

Antono Refa said:
Expensive is the hallmark feature of poorly selling electronics.

Oh really? How much is the 1dx mark 2, C100 mark 2, C200, C300 mark ii, C700...????? someone should tell Canon this^^^

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
privatebydesign said:
ahsanford said:

- A

I believe my statement is correct: 1DX --> 1DX2 went up 2 MP, did it not?

As for the 1DS3, it was never sequeled. The 1DX was a new product line.

- A

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
ahsanford said:
BillB said:
I can't see much point in bumping the sensor up a couple of megapixels.

It will go up with high confidence. I'm not aware of a single spec that justifies (at launch) or defends (over time) a product's price better than a higher resolution does.

- A

You may well be right as a prediction of what Canon will do. I was just saying that I didn't see much point in putting a couple of megapixel bump on a wish list.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
slclick said:
Regardless of the specs, this will be my 5D3 upgrade due to shutter counts alone. The IV just didn't entice me what with me shooting only stills and everything working just nicely.

Keep in mind that even a 5D4 + 10-20% 'more' in the horsepower specs + tilty-flippy and it would sell itself.

I think the top top feature the 5D4 presently lacks is the tilty-flippy. How many Canonites had the money for the 5-series and got a 6D2 just because it was the only FF rig with a tilty-flippy?

- A

Upvote 0
3kramd5 said:
Antono Refa said:
mkabi said:
especially if we are going that route where high data rates are common.

3000USD+ camera bodies serve a niche market.

4K is probably used 100,000-times more frequently than 35mm sensors.

Hell, my new mid-range Android phone records 4K60fps video

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
Maximilian said:
I skipped the 5D4 because I couldn't see enough IQ improvement (I know others think different).
Give me at least noticeably better IQ and some smaller tweaks at a reasonable price.
Then this time I'm in.

I am not seeing much in the way of IQ improvements these days from anyone. More res is not an IQ improvement for me. The difference between my 5DsR and mkIV is easily masked by a bit of sharpening in the mkIV files. I suspect that if the mkIV had no AA filter it would look as sharp even at large print sizes.

I hear people ask for more DR but I still have not had a situation where I had to drag the shadows up 5+stops.

Upvote 0
Normalnorm said:
Maximilian said:
I skipped the 5D4 because I couldn't see enough IQ improvement (I know others think different).
Give me at least noticeably better IQ and some smaller tweaks at a reasonable price.
Then this time I'm in.

I am not seeing much in the way of IQ improvements these days from anyone. More res is not an IQ improvement for me. The difference between my 5DsR and mkIV is easily masked by a bit of sharpening in the mkIV files. I suspect that if the mkIV had no AA filter it would look as sharp even at large print sizes.

I hear people ask for more DR but I still have not had a situation where I had to drag the shadows up 5+stops.

to me 5d4 was one of those looks boring on paper but you really feel the difference when you use it type upgrade compared to the 5d3

in terms of image quality due to nicer noise profile (finer, less chroma noise) and more resolution i find it practically i've gained an extra stop in high iso despite overall amount of noise being very similar, the files are also more flexible at higher iso compared to the 5d3, i find i have room for error with the 5d4 even at iso12800 and not quite the case with the 5d3, DR wise i never thought 5d3 didn't have enough but rather when the shadows got pushed even just 1-2 stops sometimes it can get ugly fast, this is where 5d4 does much better

i guess it all depends on personal usage but for someone like me who shoots high contrast scenes a lot (sunrise/set) and also high iso scenarios (poorly lit restaurants, astrophotography) 5d4 was a noticeable improvement personally IQ wise

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
kaihp said:
3kramd5 said:
Antono Refa said:
mkabi said:
especially if we are going that route where high data rates are common.

3000USD+ camera bodies serve a niche market.

4K is probably used 100,000-times more frequently than 35mm sensors.

Hell, my new mid-range Android phone records 4K60fps video

Precisely. As do all recent Apple phones, myriad GoPro and GoPro clones, etc, hence the off the cuff 100,000:1 guess.

If 4K is a niche feature, full frame camera bodies are infinitesimal.

This whole thread is a wishlist for a niche product.

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
basketballfreak6 said:
Normalnorm said:
Maximilian said:
Then this time I'm in.

to me 5d4 was one of those looks boring on paper but you really feel the difference when you use it type upgrade compared to the 5d3

in terms of image quality due to nicer noise profile (finer, less chroma noise) and more resolution i find it practically i've gained an extra stop in high iso despite overall amount of noise being very similar, the files are also more flexible at higher iso compared to the 5d3, i find i have room for error with the 5d4 even at iso12800 and not quite the case with the 5d3, DR wise i never thought 5d3 didn't have enough but rather when the shadows got pushed even just 1-2 stops sometimes it can get ugly fast, this is where 5d4 does much better

i guess it all depends on personal usage but for someone like me who shoots high contrast scenes a lot (sunrise/set) and also high iso scenarios (poorly lit restaurants, astrophotography) 5d4 was a noticeable improvement personally IQ wise
@basketballfreak6 Nice summary of 5D4 vs 5D3 . Similar to my experience after the upgrade. The quality upgrades are not the sorts of things that the spec sheet necessarily reveals. Especially shadow quality which was comparatively terrible on the 5D3.

5D Mk5 wish list? More incremental improvements, illuminated AF points (I'm so over the black AF points), high iso improvement, DR, number of focus points radically increased, 2019 level touch screen, no megapixel bump-up, same batteries, 10fps, total remake of the video functions. I won't state the obvious with regards to video. It's been discussed to death.

I see no great rush for the 5D Mk5, I just hope Canon gets it totally right plus a handful of useful surprises.

-pw

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
ahsanford said:
privatebydesign said:
ahsanford said:

- A

I believe my statement is correct: 1DX --> 1DX2 went up 2 MP, did it not?

As for the 1DS3, it was never sequeled. The 1DX was a new product line.

- A

My point wasn't that the 1DX - 1DX MkII didn't go up, it was that the 1DX, which Canon considered the replacement for the 1DS MkIII even if you don't, went down in MP numbers so much that even it's replacement, the 1DX MkII, still doesn't have the resolution the 1DS MkIII had.

Canon considered the 1DX to be the replacement for the 1D MkIV and the 1DS MkIII, they said it over and over again and there is no doubt it is better at everything than it's predecessor bar resolution.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Normalnorm said:
Maximilian said:
Then this time I'm in.

I suppose you are right.

I am definitely not part in the high res race. Usually I'd be fine with anything above 20 MP.
I am also not in the DR team. I appreciate more DR but I never had the need for 14 over 12 stops.
What I meant is that I suppose that there is potential for better high iso noise level and/or pattern, to increase the performance at - say ISO 3200 to 6400.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
pwp said:
basketballfreak6 said:

@basketballfreak6 Nice summary of 5D4 vs 5D3 . Similar to my experience after the upgrade. The quality upgrades are not the sorts of things that the spec sheet necessarily reveals. Especially shadow quality which was comparatively terrible on the 5D3.

5D Mk5 wish list? More incremental improvements, illuminated AF points (I'm so over the black AF points), high iso improvement, DR, number of focus points radically increased, 2019 level touch screen, no megapixel bump-up, same batteries, 10fps, total remake of the video functions. I won't state the obvious with regards to video. It's been discussed to death.

I see no great rush for the 5D Mk5, I just hope Canon gets it totally right plus a handful of useful surprises.

-pw
Thanks to you both for your impressions on the 5D4.
I know that there is lots of improvement in the 5D4 over the 3 but all together with the huge price rise (in Europe) it simply wasn't enough for me to say I need to upgrade.
About IQ I am maybe too much lead by reviews not showing enough IQ improvements visible to me.
Of course I didn't have the money and time to do my own research in 5D4 IQ.

Maybe I should do so now ??? :-\

Upvote 0
pwp said:
basketballfreak6 said:
Normalnorm said:
Maximilian said:
Then this time I'm in.

one thing i failed to mention about improved image quality as well is the improved auto white balance, it just does so much of a better job compared to the 5d3 particularly when it comes to odd or heavily tungsten lighting, big difference there compared to the 5d3 and that's even before activating white priority awb

Maximilian said:
Thanks to you both for your impressions on the 5D4.
I know that there is lots of improvement in the 5D4 over the 3 but all together with the huge price rise (in Europe) it simply wasn't enough for me to say I need to upgrade.
About IQ I am maybe too much lead by reviews not showing enough IQ improvements visible to me.
Of course I didn't have the money and time to do my own research in 5D4 IQ.

Maybe I should do so now ??? :-\

you know what i definitely agree with you regards to launch price, it was definitely too high imho, and i paid for it at launch too because i figured i had an upcoming wedding that'd would pay for it (well chunk of it anyway lol ::) ) which ended up being cancelled due to death in the family :'(

but i have no regrets with the upgrade tho for sure, to me the noticeably improved IQ (for me), DPAF (i use it way more than i thought i would), even that one extra button they added improved useability for me, i feel like while reviews are often good resources to get some info quite a few of them are like "lab tests" and are not being used and pushed out in the field so i do often take it with a grain of salt

i reckon definitely go play with one if you ever get a chance, maybe even rent it out for a day to see how you like the body

but before straying too far off topic, i would love to see af point linked spot metering in the 5DV, articulating screen (those that shoot deep sky would understand why having a articulating screen would be a godsend, even just normal landscapes at times when you're setup at tricky locations), and general improvements such as better af, high iso and dr will always be welcome, oh and maybe some form of hybrid viewfinder might be pretty cool haha and high speed sd slots please there is no excuse to be stuck at UHS-1

Upvote 0