Hi all!
I want to upgrade from my 6d mk 2 to a mirrorless body but I´m not sure whether I want the R6 or the R8. I live in europe, where they are priced pretty similarly (R8 is 1800€, R6 is 2000€). I like the features the R6 brings to the table like IBIS, dual card slots and better wheather sealing. I´ve also been to a camera shop and held both of them in my hands and the R6 felt significantly better in my hands (but maybe the grip extension would make the R8 better?) and I really like the bigger and higher res EVF.
However the R8 is cheaper, and still has the better sensor and improved AF. Honestly i´m probabbly going to be really happy with the AF performance of the R6, but still it kind of feels weird paying more money and getting worse performance. Do you think the R6 is still a better camera than the R8? I know that the R6 mark 2 would solve all my problems but it is much more expensive here at 2800€, and I´d much rather invest any additional money in to glass.

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Here are a few of my (obscure) observations regarding the RP which also are relative to the R8 compared to R6:
If I’m using a flash on the camera the locking wheel digs into my eyebrow, which when used over a day becomes a real pain, literally ! R6 no such problem.
It’s easy to knock the mode wheel away from my setting accidentally. R6 no such problem.
When using the grip extension the camera is very comfortable to hold, even with quite large lenses. Without it the camera is very compact and small, but not many of the lenses are ! Smaller battery allows this grip, and I do go through batteries quite quick. Also you can’t get the same storing tray like the LP-E6, which worries me when spare batteries are jumbled together in a bag.
Shutter is very loud and clunky, R6 not so.
Shutter doesn’t close when changing lenses / no full mechanical shutter.
Using rear screen as touch pad for AF is great - until it’s very cold and I’m wearing gloves, then lack of joystick is a nuisance.
R6 no problem.
Differences that don’t concern me:
Single card slot, EVF resolution, IBIS, sensor resolution, shooting speed.
So it depends on your uses really. With a lens like the RF 50/1.8 the RP/R8 is a tiny, lightweight FF package that gives stellar IQ.
If you are habitually using large, heavy lenses I’d be inclined to go with the R6.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your input. It seems to me like the R6 has a lot of small niceties over the R8. However I do enjoy taking my camera with just a small prime with me sometimes, and for that the size of the r8 would be very nice.
Typically I use a 24-105 F4 L on my camera, so not very small and light, but not extremely heavy either. For now I plan on using the EF/rf adapter for a lot of my lenses (I'll just replace my 35 and 50mm primes) so I think a bulkier body would balance that out a bit better.
I have a little shaky hands so IBIS does sound pretty good to me, especially with some of my unstabilized lenses. I've sometimes been paid for event photography, so for that a second card slot would have been good insurance.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Hi all!
I want to upgrade from my 6d mk 2 to a mirrorless body but I´m not sure whether I want the R6 or the R8. I live in europe, where they are priced pretty similarly (R8 is 1800€, R6 is 2000€). I like the features the R6 brings to the table like IBIS, dual card slots and better wheather sealing. I´ve also been to a camera shop and held both of them in my hands and the R6 felt significantly better in my hands (but maybe the grip extension would make the R8 better?) and I really like the bigger and higher res EVF.
However the R8 is cheaper, and still has the better sensor and improved AF. Honestly i´m probabbly going to be really happy with the AF performance of the R6, but still it kind of feels weird paying more money and getting worse performance. Do you think the R6 is still a better camera than the R8? I know that the R6 mark 2 would solve all my problems but it is much more expensive here at 2800€, and I´d much rather invest any additional money in to glass.
I think, technical pros and cons have been summed up by both of you.
I would like to highlight the IBIS again that is not available with the R8.

I wanted to add the following:
As you are referring to € prices:
There will be a Cashback from Canon Germany and/or Canon Europe within just a few weeks.
I'm sure the R6 will get some 200 or 300 € Cashback or instant rebate.
And if (!) the R6 II is included, it will be some 300 € as well. So that one comes down to maybe 2.500 €.
So it's worth a wait till June, at latest. Last year the promo started May, 16th.
About the conditions, I would compare to the winter promo.

Upvote 0

Feryl

EOS R8
Feb 3, 2023
As an RP owner who is looking for an upgrade I was asking myself the same question. My main reasons for an upgrade are improved AF capabilites and a better sensor with higher dynamic range. And in both of these areas the R8 really shines.

But since the price difference is so small I also considered the R6 and even ordered one when it was on sale. But I ended up returning it. The better OVF was nice but the one on my RP is actually totally fine. I also didn't really care about the second SD card slot and the bigger battery. Battery life on my RP has not been an issue so far. Ultimately it was just too big and bulky compared to my RP. It is such a portable camera with something like the RF35. However the R6 does have its advantages with heavier lenses and overall feels more premium. The RP quickly feels top heavy especially if you use the adapter. The size should also not be a problem if you are coming from the 6D II so you might choose differently. IBIS would have been nice in the R8 but all my lenses are stabilized so it is not a dealbreaker for me.

I ended up ordering the R8 but I am still waiting for it to arrive. I did get it for 1500€ though (vs. 1900€ for the R6) which made the decision much easier. Waiting for the next promo is always a good idea. But don't expect the R6 II or R8 to show up there. The R6 on the other hand...

Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
As an RP owner who is looking for an upgrade I was asking myself the same question. My main reasons for an upgrade are improved AF capabilites and a better sensor with higher dynamic range. And in both of these areas the R8 really shines.

But since the price difference is so small I also considered the R6 and even ordered one when it was on sale. But I ended up returning it. The better OVF was nice but the one on my RP is actually totally fine. I also didn't really care about the second SD card slot and the bigger battery. Battery life on my RP has not been an issue so far. Ultimately it was just too big and bulky compared to my RP. It is such a portable camera with something like the RF35. However the R6 does have its advantages with heavier lenses and overall feels more premium. The RP quickly feels top heavy especially if you use the adapter. The size should also not be a problem if you are coming from the 6D II so you might choose differently. IBIS would have been nice in the R8 but all my lenses are stabilized so it is not a dealbreaker for me.

I ended up ordering the R8 but I am still waiting for it to arrive. I did get it for 1500€ though (vs. 1900€ for the R6) which made the decision much easier. Waiting for the next promo is always a good idea. But don't expect the R6 II or R8 to show up there. The R6 on the other hand...
Your journey sounds like the R8 is the best choice for you.
Please let us know about your impressions, when you get it.
Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
...(but maybe the grip extension would make the R8 better?)
...but still it kind of feels weird paying more money and getting worse performance.
I had the extension grip when I had an RP. It felt really rinky-dink and I disliked it quickly.

As far as the "worse performance" of the R6, what kind of photography are you doing?

Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Thanks, thats a good tip! I'll wait a few weeks and see what kind of discounts there'll be. Maybe that'll make my decision easier.
Canon Germany 2023 Summer Promotion is online. Please note that condition could be different in other EU countries.
See here:

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sorry for the long absence, but thank you all for your opinions.
Canon Germany 2023 Summer Promotion is online. Please note that condition could be different in other EU countries.
Thanks , unfortunately neither the R6 nor the R8 got any discounts. I ended up ordering the R8 yesterday, and am fairly sure about my decision. I'm probably going to buy the grip extension, but I appreciate the option of not having it on the camera and having a smaller camera instead. Also I'm pretty sure that I'll get used to the viewfinder and shorter battery life.
A pretty big deciding factor for me was also the pre-burst raw feature of the R8, that's missing in the R6.
I'm really excited about the R8 and can't wait to receive it!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Feryl

EOS R8
Feb 3, 2023
I am sure you will enjoy the R8. I have had mine for a few weeks now and it is exactly what I wanted. All the latest features and a modern sensor in a light and compact body. Pair it with the RF 35mm and you get a super light combo with amazing image quality. I was really surprised how much you can get out of the RAW files. Shadow recovery and even highlight recovery is excellent.

A few thoughts on the R8 compared to the RP: The bodies are almost identical but you immediately notice the upgraded display. It is not only sharper but also looks more color accurate. The EVF also seems slightly sharper and clearer despite having the same resolution. The blackout between shots has also been massively improved. The R8 is much faster on startup and feels more responsive overall. After a few days I also really appreciate the on/off switch on the right side. Being able to turn the camera on/off with one hand is so much more convenient. Battery life has been alright so far, similar to the RP. Just make sure to always bring a spare battery.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Deepboy

Headshot photographer
Jun 28, 2017
Italy
I see you already have ordered the R8, so I'm late :)

My suggestion would have been to choose the R6, given the small price difference; I would have considered the R8 only with a price difference well over 500€.
AF and IQ are the same, yeeees the R8 has better sensor, improved AF and 4mpx more, but those are things the are worth on paper, but you're not going to see any real difference while in use.
R6 is surely best in hands, especially if you're used to 6DII, use the very same battery (so if you have extra batteries you can keep and use them; I actually have 6 batteries, two on the new LP-E6NH, four of the old E6N and E6 type), and features IBIS, which is much more useful then the extra mpx. And having three dials it's a dream because you change aperture/shutter/iso just with dials, without touching buttons and/or menu (but actually you can do the same as well, like I do with R10, using two body dials + the control ring on the lens, which act as the third dial). One last thing, joystick on R6 is priceless, but the R8 should have the same 4-way pad like you have on the 6DII, so you can move focus point without using the touch screen.

You'll be SUPER HAPPY with R8, but to my taste should cost much less to justify not going to the R6, especially when you came from a fullframe already; if you came from a Rebel, then R8 (but again, not for that price) would have been more suited for the jump.

I actually thought about buying an R8 two weeks ago and sell the R10; I recently moved my work almost entirely to studio shooting, so @iso100 the R10 is a perfect backup body; but as soon as I moved my line of work, I got an unexpected spike in last minute weddings for 2023, and in the last wedding I struggled with high iso from R10, so I felt the need of another FF body as a backup, I couldn't think of doing a low-light wedding with R10 only, if R6 crashes for any reason.
So I looked both at new R8 and used R6, but they're too expensive, so I ended up purchasing (actually re-purchasing, as it was my camera from 2014 to 2021) an used 6D on eBay for 250€; maybe in the next 12 to 18 months some used R8 will start to hit the marked around 1000€, so selling R10 and 6D will give me 80/90% of that money for the switch; but my dream is that my studio work will really spike, so I actually could afford to buy an used R5 to be the main camera, and transform my R6 in the backup body...we'll see :)

Upvote 0
I see you already have ordered the R8, so I'm late :)

My suggestion would have been to choose the R6, given the small price difference; I would have considered the R8 only with a price difference well over 500€.
AF and IQ are the same, yeeees the R8 has better sensor, improved AF and 4mpx more, but those are things the are worth on paper, but you're not going to see any real difference while in use.
R6 is surely best in hands, especially if you're used to 6DII, use the very same battery (so if you have extra batteries you can keep and use them; I actually have 6 batteries, two on the new LP-E6NH, four of the old E6N and E6 type), and features IBIS, which is much more useful then the extra mpx. And having three dials it's a dream because you change aperture/shutter/iso just with dials, without touching buttons and/or menu (but actually you can do the same as well, like I do with R10, using two body dials + the control ring on the lens, which act as the third dial). One last thing, joystick on R6 is priceless, but the R8 should have the same 4-way pad like you have on the 6DII, so you can move focus point without using the touch screen.

You'll be SUPER HAPPY with R8, but to my taste should cost much less to justify not going to the R6, especially when you came from a fullframe already; if you came from a Rebel, then R8 (but again, not for that price) would have been more suited for the jump.

I actually thought about buying an R8 two weeks ago and sell the R10; I recently moved my work almost entirely to studio shooting, so @iso100 the R10 is a perfect backup body; but as soon as I moved my line of work, I got an unexpected spike in last minute weddings for 2023, and in the last wedding I struggled with high iso from R10, so I felt the need of another FF body as a backup, I couldn't think of doing a low-light wedding with R10 only, if R6 crashes for any reason.
So I looked both at new R8 and used R6, but they're too expensive, so I ended up purchasing (actually re-purchasing, as it was my camera from 2014 to 2021) an used 6D on eBay for 250€; maybe in the next 12 to 18 months some used R8 will start to hit the marked around 1000€, so selling R10 and 6D will give me 80/90% of that money for the switch; but my dream is that my studio work will really spike, so I actually could afford to buy an used R5 to be the main camera, and transform my R6 in the backup body...we'll see :)
Yes I agree. The problem Canon has with say the downstream models is that they like to release the peak item first. So the R5 is lauched and it's very very pricey but the camera we all would like (features wise). They Canon slowly drips the lower models, by the time the 6Dii is launched, both the R5 and R6 are mid life and beinf discounted heavily. The new R6ii owes Canon a R&D bounty...so it's expensive. Roll on 8-10 months later and the R8 comes out...the R5 and R6 are now a lot older and the R6 is a very heavily discounted option. Canon have to price the R8 high to collect their R&D investment on it. Now we have an older legacy R6, a top dog R5 that is starting to age (compared to the R3, R6ii and R8).
As a photographer in the market place...it's a bit of a random quagmire of random specs and models to navigate at price points that are confusing.

However...having just bought a R8 as a potential 2nd camera to my next camera. It's a massive improvement over the pair of 5Diii's and 5Dii that I currently own. I was worried that this R8 would be a cut down & crippled consumer camera akin to the synical Digital Rebel range. It really isn't and it's a very serious camera. Apart from the size, tiny battery and lack of IBIS (not a deal breaker for me...I shoot stilsl and use a lot of fast primes)...it's an astonishing and capable camera. It's even got focus stacking!

Upvote 0

Deepboy

Headshot photographer
Jun 28, 2017
Italy
I was worried that this R8 would be a cut down & crippled consumer camera akin to the synical Digital Rebel range. It really isn't and it's a very serious camera.
I can assure you that the R10 already does feel as a premium camera, so it's just natural that the R8, which is a superior camera, feels pretty serious.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I was worried that this R8 would be a cut down & crippled consumer camera akin to the synical Digital Rebel range. It really isn't and it's a very serious camera. Apart from the size, tiny battery and lack of IBIS (not a deal breaker for me...I shoot stilsl and use a lot of fast primes)...it's an astonishing and capable camera. It's even got focus stacking!
I'm pleased with the R8 so far, I think it will be an excellent camera for travel. The tiny battery issue can be overcome by carrying a few of them, and since it's the same battery used in the M6 and M6II, I have 4 of them now. Bonus that one of my kids will likely be using the M6II on an upcoming trip, sharing batteries and having two cameras that can charge them directly (with power supplies for other devices) is convenient.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0