5D MK I Still Relevant?

Hey guys,

I've been following the site for some time and finally decided to jump in. I recently bought a 5D MK iii but decided it had way too many features I was not using. I NEVER shoot video or HDR in camera so I sold it. But now I find myself missing the FF and I'm not getting the most out of my lens(16-35mm MK I) on my 40d.

I'm considering getting a 5d MK I since they're so inexpensive these days. Does anyone know if the IQ has held up overtime? I still get great shots with my 40D other than my shutter seems to be failing and I don't care about bells and whistles as much As IQ. If I get one I will likely go through KEH.

Thanks for all of the advice in advance.

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Been a lot of these 5D mki threads lately. I used one for best part of seven years. I would say that if you are shooting between 100 and 400 ISO in raw and have plenty of time to transfer the images, then yes, especially given the price they have come down to.

If you decide to get one go for a serial number beginning with 2 or 3. These later cameras had the modified mirror and improved LCD screen.

Upvote 0

Menace

New Zealand
Apr 5, 2012
New Zealand
Lilwesta said:
I shoot mostly landscapes including sunsets and sunrises. I do some 800-1600 ISO work but not a ton. My biggest thing is that you can buy a 6d from canon refurbished for about $1,400. The only reason that is a consideration is due to having a newer sensor more so than features. I could care less for GPS or wifi.

5dc was great for its time and can still take amazing images.

However, given the choice, I'd get the 6D as its a more advanced camera all round and will last you years and years.

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
Its currently the cheapest practical entry into FF photography. I would still call it relevant if your only into stills and want more IQ than a Rebel because the IQ @ all ISO's was better than my 7D at the time. They can be had for 400$ which is a steal for a FF Digital camera that takes photos.

Upvote 0
I used a 5D + 40D combo for years and loved it. They use the same battery too. Go for it. Nothing to lose. I also now own a 6D and a 5D3 but I miss shooting the old 5D. It IS a simpler camera and it takes great pictures. I still own my 5D and plan to use it again soon to teach some classes with. And someday I might even buy another 40D because I loved that camera too!

In summary, I think you'll be glad you bought a 5D. The 6D has almost the same quantity of fancy features as the 5D3 so if you sold the 5D3 for that reason, it's obvious that the 5D is more your speed.

Upvote 0
I've been shooting professionally (weddings/portraits) with the old 5d since they came out in 2005. I still use them as back ups to my 5d mk 2s and 5d mk3. They are very capable cameras and have it where it counts in terms of image quality. If you are looking for full frame, then go for it.

That said, the 6D has more resolution, a far superior AF, and vastly improved high ISO performance. Its hard to beat the price for one refurbished through Canon. If you are interested in picking up a 5d used, send me a message. I have one left. My other was used to trade up to a 5d mk3 through Canon's loyalty program.

Blessings,

Don

Upvote 0