Affected with GAS, Gear Acquisition Syndrome

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Dylan777 said:
tron said:
Rienzphotoz said:
... so I choose the trusty Canon 100-400 L IS and I also got the EOS 70D to get that little extra reach (also the sales guy made a really good deal) ... so now I feel a bit relieved from the GAS ... but that's only till the Sony a6000 releases.
Isn't it great? Having sold my 5D2 I bought a second 5D3 and now I feel as if I had a good dinner after being hungry ... ( = GAS relieved :) ). I found out that for me the solution is to sell old gear (if and when I find a buyer of course) and get a new item. My list of old items has decreased though ::)

Congrats on 2nd 5D III ;)

Are you ready these?: 300mm, 400mm, and/or 600mm ;D
I have the 500mm f/4L IS II :)

In addition , I have the 300mm f/4L (non IS). It is a very old but very sharp (even fully open) L lens so I am not selling it. So for now I resist to 300mm f/2.8L IS II :)

P.S I forgot to mention that recently I got 24-70 2.8L II and I upgraded my Canon version II teleconverters to version III :)

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Zv said:
Rienzphotoz said:
tron said:
Rienzphotoz said:
... so I choose the trusty Canon 100-400 L IS and I also got the EOS 70D to get that little extra reach (also the sales guy made a really good deal) ... so now I feel a bit relieved from the GAS ... but that's only till the Sony a6000 releases.
Isn't it great? Having sold my 5D2 I bought a second 5D3 and now I feel as if I had a good dinner after being hungry ... ( = GAS relieved :) ). I found out that for me the solution is to sell old gear (if and when I find a buyer of course) and get a new item. My list of old items has decreased though ::)
I am embarresed to say this but do I agree with you on the "good dinner after being hungry" comment :-[ ... Congratulations on the 5D MK III ... when it comes to selling my old gear I am very fortunate to have several colleagues in my office who are eager to buy my used gear ... recently sold the Sigma 150-500 OS, EOS-M, 22mm , 18-55 IS STM, EF-M adapter and a few other accessories, which funded the 100-400 L IS + 70D today. 8)

Selling old or unused gear is almost as satisfying as buying new and shiny gear! I'm currently trying (not very hard I must admit) to sell my 7D. It's the only bit of kit I don't really need. I love it though. Kind of want to keep it just for the heck of it. I think I need to rekindle my love for it by actually taking pictures with it.

The new Sigma Art had been giving me GAS but it's taken so long to release (not really) that I'm getting over the urge. I seem to "look" for things to buy and now want a Samsung 840 EVO SSD to speed up my laptop. GAS cross contamination into PC equipment now!
I agree to selling old gear. It is a great way of funding new one (plus it is a good excuse too).

There is no way I am getting a Sigma lens again (I have already gotten rid of my Sigma lenses...).

The only non Canon lens I have is a Zeiss 21mm 2.8 and I will try to avoid Samyang if possible (I do not need 14 since I have the latest Canon but the Samyang 24 1.4 has no coma - just ... sharpness and decentering issues).

Upvote 0
Rienzphotoz said:
Zv said:
GAS cross contamination into PC equipment now!
Oh yes, that's a very familiar territory ... ever since I got serious about photography, I've gone through multiple laptops ... it just does not seem to end :-[
That's an old one for me that pre-dates my photography GAS, but I build my own PCs and usually just replace some components while keeping others so it's pretty reasonable. Too bad you can't just upgrade your optics from f/4 to f/2.8 or add IS to an existing lens ;)

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
mackguyver said:
Too bad you can't just upgrade your optics from f/4 to f/2.8 or add IS to an existing lens ;)
Although its not for the same lens make but Metabones does make an adapter that increase maximum aperture by 1 stop i.e. f/4 to f/2.8 etc from EF to Sony NEX and FD to Micro Four Thirds etc http://www.metabones.com/products/details/MB_SPEF-E-BM1
It'd be cool if someone comes up with an adapter for the same cameras/lenses i.e. EF to EF adapter.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
tron said:
Dylan777 said:
tron said:
Rienzphotoz said:

In addition , I have the 300mm f/4L (non IS). It is a very old but very sharp (even fully open) L lens so I am not selling it. So for now I resist to 300mm f/2.8L IS II :)

P.S I forgot to mention that recently I got 24-70 2.8L II and I upgraded my Canon version II teleconverters to version III :)

I guess...you good for now ;D

I recently bought the 1.4x TC III. It's not bad when attach to my 400mm f2.8 IS II ;)

Attachments

• _61A6603.JPG
    _61A6603.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 566
Upvote 0
Jul 14, 2012
jdramirez said:
I'm finding that I don't need anything else... so as I said before... I started buying and building a kit for my daughter... but that got boring quickly. I just got the 135L... I kinda wanted the 85L but I'm also good with not having the 85L... the sigma 50 art was intriguing... and now I'm bored with the idea of getting it...

I could upgrade the 24-105 to the 24-70 mkii, but I don't care for that focal range that much. I don't want the 16-35... so at this point... I'm at a loss. What more is there... :(

If you really want to buy something, try a Sony A7r + adapter and have fun seeing what your Canon lenses can do on a higher resolution sensor. And if that's not enough, get the Sony/Zeiss 55mm 1.8 and enjoy some pretty remarkable resolution/sharpness etc. Those who claim to disapprove of pixel-peeping don't know what they're missing (or perhaps they do)....

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Dylan777 said:
tron said:
Dylan777 said:
tron said:
Rienzphotoz said:

I recently bought the 1.4x TC III. It's not bad when attach to my 400mm f2.8 IS II ;)
It ... cannot be bad! Even my EF1.4XII with the 300mm f/4L non-IS was an excellent combination!
Now, will you get your 400mm 2.8L IS II a present? A 2XIII ;D

Upvote 0
Had a severe case of GAS right before the holidays and bought a 6D. Thought that would get me through for a while but then 24 f2.8 IS showed upon on Canon Direct refurb, so had another bout. (Great lens by the way). Thought I was done but still had some residual GAS, which I treated using mild medicine, namely picking up a shorty forty and Rokinon 14 f2.8. GAS has subsided now, and hopefully it won't return until at least December...

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
tron said:
Dylan777 said:
tron said:
Dylan777 said:
tron said:
Rienzphotoz said:

It ... cannot be bad! Even my EF1.4XII with the 300mm f/4L non-IS was an excellent combination!
Now, will you get your 400mm 2.8L IS II a present? A 2XIII ;D

I did have a thought about x2 TC III for my 400mm, however, I'm little concern about the IQ.

I heard 600mm + 1.4x TC III is quite nice, therefore, I'm more leaning to that direction. I still have plenty of times to think about this combo, because my photography bank account still quite empty ;D

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
sdsr said:
If you really want to buy something, try a Sony A7r + adapter and have fun seeing what your Canon lenses can do on a higher resolution sensor. And if that's not enough, get the Sony/Zeiss 55mm 1.8 and enjoy some pretty remarkable resolution/sharpness etc. Those who claim to disapprove of pixel-peeping don't know what they're missing (or perhaps they do)....

Nope. I have a sony tv... a sony playstation 3, & a sony 5.1 audio system. I think that's about it until I get the Sony playstation 4. I'm really happy with my 5D mkiii.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
jdramirez said:
sdsr said:

Nope. I have a sony tv... a sony playstation 3, & a sony 5.1 audio system. I think that's about it until I get the Sony playstation 4. I'm really happy with my 5D mkiii.
According to my kids you have to get the PS4, so I bought it for my elder son's birthday, but I don't see any difference between PS3 & PS4 (visual graphics wise), ... my kids disagree, they tell me my eyes are not sharp as theirs to see the difference ... there are a few gimmicks to fool the kids but I really don't see it as a compelling upgrade to PS3 ... but the Sony a7/R is truly awesome.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
growler said:
GAS has subsided now, and hopefully it won't return until at least December...
Until December? :eek: ... you have a very robust healing mechanism ;D ... coz I suffer from GAS almost every day ... wife says visiting CR is the cause, her educational background is Masters in Pharmacy, so I think I should believe her, even though I do not necessarily take her advise for GAS cure i.e. do not read CR ;D

Upvote 0

Roo

CR Pro
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
tron said:
Zv said:
Rienzphotoz said:
tron said:
Rienzphotoz said:
I am embarresed to say this but do I agree with you on the "good dinner after being hungry" comment :-[ ... Congratulations on the 5D MK III ... when it comes to selling my old gear I am very fortunate to have several colleagues in my office who are eager to buy my used gear ... recently sold the Sigma 150-500 OS, EOS-M, 22mm , 18-55 IS STM, EF-M adapter and a few other accessories, which funded the 100-400 L IS + 70D today. 8)

Selling old or unused gear is almost as satisfying as buying new and shiny gear! I'm currently trying (not very hard I must admit) to sell my 7D. It's the only bit of kit I don't really need. I love it though. Kind of want to keep it just for the heck of it. I think I need to rekindle my love for it by actually taking pictures with it.

The new Sigma Art had been giving me GAS but it's taken so long to release (not really) that I'm getting over the urge. I seem to "look" for things to buy and now want a Samsung 840 EVO SSD to speed up my laptop. GAS cross contamination into PC equipment now!
I agree to selling old gear. It is a great way of funding new one (plus it is a good excuse too).

+1. Selling old gear to fund a new purchase is very satisfying. My Sigma 150-500 covered half the cost of the bad case of GAS I had for the new Tamron 150-600.

On the other hand having someone else finance it is even better :D I recently found that my old 70-200 2.8 non IS had moisture damage. My insurance company wanted a repair report from a reputable camera store. Their report stated it was uneconomical to repair and the replacement model is the 70-200 2.8 IS ii. My insurance said ok, so I have 2 new lenses in the space of a week :D

Unfortunately my mind has started to turn to acquire a 16-35 2.8 L...damn damn damn, it never ends!

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
Roo said:
tron said:
Zv said:
Rienzphotoz said:
tron said:
Rienzphotoz said:

+1. Selling old gear to fund a new purchase is very satisfying. My Sigma 150-500 covered half the cost of the bad case of GAS I had for the new Tamron 150-600.

On the other hand having someone else finance it is even better :D I recently found that my old 70-200 2.8 non IS had moisture damage. My insurance company wanted a repair report from a reputable camera store. Their report stated it was uneconomical to repair and the replacement model is the 70-200 2.8 IS ii. My insurance said ok, so I have 2 new lenses in the space of a week :D

Unfortunately my mind has started to turn to acquire a 16-35 2.8 L...damn damn damn, it never ends!
Congratulations on the 2 new lenses ... may they serve you well ... now, let me help your GAS a little, mind you, I am not helping you, I am only adding fuel to your GAS ;D ... the 16-35 f/2.8 L IS is a very nice lens, its one of my most used lenses (more than the 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II).

Upvote 0

Roo

CR Pro
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
Rienzphotoz said:
growler said:
Until December? :eek: ... you have a very robust healing mechanism ;D ... coz I suffer from GAS almost every day ... wife says visiting CR is the cause, her educational background is Masters in Pharmacy, so I think I should believe her, even though I do not necessarily take her advise for GAS cure i.e. do not read CR ;D

LOL Rein :) My understanding is that pharmacists can advise but not prescribe;) If symptoms continue consult your doctor :D

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
Roo said:
Rienzphotoz said:
growler said:

LOL Rein :) My understanding is that pharmacists can advise but not prescribe;) If symptoms continue consult your doctor :D
That's what I told her, but she insists that the doctor I go to (CR) is a quack and she also insists that this doctor (CR) is actually contributing to my GAS problem ;D

Upvote 0
Rienzphotoz said:
Congratulations on the 2 new lenses ... may they serve you well ... now, let me help your GAS a little, mind you, I am not helping you, I am only adding fuel to your GAS ;D ... the 16-35 f/2.8 L IS is a very nice lens, its one of my most used lenses (more than the 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II).

Why, I would like to have a 16-35 2.8 L IS too! GAS or no gas! :p

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
sagittariansrock said:
Rienzphotoz said:

Why, I would like to have a 16-35 2.8 L IS too! GAS or no gas! :p
it is a very cheap lens for now. It does not exist ;D. I do not think stabilizer that much important at such a wide angle lens, so a very sharp across the frame 16-35 2.8L III lens with no coma would satisfy me :)

Upvote 0