All of a sudden I'm seeing clickbait here

kaihp

I'm not new here
Mar 19, 2012
I run AdBlock and I'm not seeing this. I guess it's something at your end.

slclick

Blessed Be The Fruit Loops
Dec 17, 2013
kaihp said:
I run AdBlock and I'm not seeing this. I guess it's something at your end.
I run it as well and there have been no changes, Hmmm

slclick

Dec 17, 2013
I'm screwed, lol

Crazy thing is.. this is the only site where I'm getting that garbage, thus my post. (I'm not coming to CR for tech tips)

Adblock is working perfectly, custom filters or not across the WWW, except here. For me.

slclick

Dec 17, 2013
cellomaster27 said:
same. I run adblock and I see the same thing. :/ Why CR?
I take great comfort that you are seeing this as well. At least give me a happy medium, why both Hillary's face AND silicone boobs?

Moderator1

EOS 6D MK II
Nov 30, 2010
You are probably seeing advertising based on sites you have visited.

As I understand it, a update was made to the forum software that breaks ad blockers. Thats all I know.

Mt Spokane Photography

I post too Much on Here!!
Mar 25, 2011
There is generally a way to turn off offensive ads, if you can capture the information about it, I think a ad can be blocked. There are some nasty ones that need blocking.

So far, I haven't received one.

davidj

EOS T7i
Mar 18, 2016
In related news, I'm now seeing a "Canon Rumors would like to send you push notifications" notification at the top of the page every time I visit, which I'm not strongly appreciating (I have a cookie deleting plugin.)

Hillsilly

EOS 6D MK II
Oct 16, 2010
Having to click "Don't Allow" to the push notification box everytime I visit is a little annoying.

Otherwise, I'm ok with advertising. The site has to cover costs somehow. (I'm just surprised an evil Hilary link has come up given recent Adsense et al. policy changes.)

LDS

EOR R
Sep 14, 2012
davidj said:
In related news, I'm now seeing a "Canon Rumors would like to send you push notifications" notification at the top of the page
I wondered what kind of push notification it needs to send. Deals?

I can bear some ads - to cover the costs of running Canon Rumors-, as long as they are not very stupid and ugly clickbaits.

But it looks targeted ads don't work so well (or may there aren't enough photo-related ones), and so we have those... which also make me very afraid of the security of those ads, because when one (the ads network, not CanonRumos) is ready to deliver that kind of contents for easy money , surely they don't care about anything else.

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
YuengLinger said:
Now I realize I've never accepted the offer on my Android to have this site push notifications. Maybe that's why I'm not seeing the offensive garbage.
What is pushing notifications? I am not getting any adds but did see something like you refer to and didn't respond.

Jack

slclick

Dec 17, 2013
With a bit of right clicking using adblock I was able to force the ads out.

P

Pookie

I've made absolutely no changes and all of a sudden no ads again... fishy !!!

Also, it was suggested that it was sites I've gone to but not a political site devotee... was getting HRC looking like she was dying and wardrobe malfunction click bait. None of which has any ties to my websurfing, if it were snow related and camera gear then maybe.

YuengLinger

EOR R
Dec 20, 2012
Southeastern USA
Jack Douglas said:
YuengLinger said:
Now I realize I've never accepted the offer on my Android to have this site push notifications. Maybe that's why I'm not seeing the offensive garbage.
What is pushing notifications? I am not getting any adds but did see something like you refer to and didn't respond.

Jack
Ha ha, I wasn't sure either what they were, so I didn't go for it.