An Update on Canon's NAB 2018 Announcements [CR3]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>A couple of days ago, we <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/a-4k-canon-cinema-eos-c100-mark-iii-coming-for-nab-2018-next-month-cr1/">posted an article about an upcoming 4K Canon Cinema EOS C100 Mark III</a>. We warned you to take the report with a grain of salt, but you may have actually needed the whole salt shaker.</p>
<p>A Cinema EOS C100 Mark III is <strong>NOT</strong> coming to NAB.</p>
<p>Canon’s big announcement will be a “modifications for a higher end camera in the Cinema EOS lineup”. We haven’t yet been told which camera will get the “modification” or even what the “modification” is.</p>
<p><em>More to come…</em></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Etienne said:
Canon appears to have no interest in the entry level cinema segment. Sony and Panasonic are your best choice there. You'll go broke waiting for Canon to show up.

None of the other manufacturers have come out with entry level video specific configurations like the cinema eos series. You can buy rigs that make them act the same, but until they do canon has no interest in making changes. The vast majority of the equipment in this space goes to local broadcasters and such. It's a lucrative market that is pretty much evenly split with Sony. Neither one of them wants to upset it much, but they continue to work on the high end of the market where RED is the main competitor.

Upvote 0
What about another "NON CINEMA EOS camera" which shoots 4K? Nothing ?

I know that modification might satisfy the higher segment market, but most people here are interested in easy and lightweight Cinema Canon camera, which can be easily put on the easy gimbal, like "zhiyun crane". Canon doesn't have any for it. Oh, XC15?? It isn't super35 sensor.

Canon really needs something which can compete with GH5 / A7S series.
Again, they still have nothing in that segment.

Maybe A7iii will be my next option along with my 5D4 and bunch of Cinema EOS.

If there is no statement from canon or rumor by NAB 2018, seriously a lot of people will buy sony gear for sure, even dustin abott, who used to love 5D4 so much, has sony gear now. It is really happening.

Canon still have the potential in the market indeed,
but Canon doesn't have much time to succeed in that market.

C'mon,
Just put 4k 60p / 1080 120p in small lightweight cinema EF camera with super35 sensor and flip screen.
Why is that so difficult lol

Upvote 0
Etienne said:
Canon appears to have no interest in the entry level cinema segment. Sony and Panasonic are your best choice there. You'll go broke waiting for Canon to show up.
I assume that you mean cheap cameras that shoot 4K? The are definitely lacking cheap cameras that shoot 4K, but that is an odd definition for "entry level cinema segment". Cheap and 4K don't have much to do with cinema.

Upvote 0
criscokkat said:
Etienne said:

None of the other manufacturers have come out with entry level video specific configurations like the cinema eos series. You can buy rigs that make them act the same, but until they do canon has no interest in making changes. The vast majority of the equipment in this space goes to local broadcasters and such. It's a lucrative market that is pretty much evenly split with Sony. Neither one of them wants to upset it much, but they continue to work on the high end of the market where RED is the main competitor.

Seriously? Sony FS5.... Hello

And the new Panasonic video cam

Why are canon cult members so defensive?

Upvote 0
bandido said:
This could be either the addition of 60p/50p to the C300 or the previously announced XF-AVC coded for the C200.

My gut says it is actually a C700 change seeing as the rumor says "higher end". I mean, it could be the C300 II, but it seems like Canon would be more interested in EOLing that camera. If Canon added a higher end XF-AVC codec to the C200, that would be worthy of announcement and the label "higher end".

Upvote 0

robotfist

Cinematographer/Photographer - Canon C300 III
Oct 23, 2017
Los Angeles
It seems pretty obvious to me what is coming. Canon released the C200 instead of the C100 MKIII. And instead of a C300 MKIII, they’ll release the C400, which will have everything everyone wanted the C200 to have (Raw with a middle ground codec, timecode, etc). Hopefully it’s not much bigger than the C200 because that camera has fantastic ergonomics.

Upvote 0
Etienne said:
criscokkat said:
Etienne said:

When I used the phrase "Entry Level video specific" I was thinking of the C100, which is less than half the cost of the Sony FS5. I don't think they want to introduce more high end features at that lower end of the *video* market.

Upvote 0
criscokkat said:
Etienne said:
criscokkat said:
Etienne said:

When I used the phrase "Entry Level video specific" I was thinking of the C100, which is less than half the cost of the Sony FS5. I don't think they want to introduce more high end features at that lower end of the *video* market.

I am doubting that there will ever be a C100 Mark III
Until recently the C100 mk II and the FS5 were very close in price. The difference is still only about $1200, new.
But I think Canon has given up trying to compete with the FS5

Upvote 0
Etienne said:
The entry level definition is broad. May be what is considered entry level by one manufacturer is considered as intermediate level by the other ones.
Canon has XF400/405 as entry level 4K, 60P, 150mbps video camera. At the moment, no other video camera by other manufacturers in this form factor (1-inch, fixed lens, videocam form) can beat them in terms of field of view (24-25mm eqiv.) and bit rate.
XC-15 is also another entry level cinema camera with 4K pro codec. it surpasses FS5 4K in terms of bit rate (305mbps) and bit depth (4-2-2).

Upvote 0

CanonGrunt

C70
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2012
My prediction:

New sensor options (not immediately available) for the c700, as canon made sure they can swap those out.

Some tweaks and improvements to the c300 MK II, probably via firmware that you have to take to a CPS location to be installed.

They’ll probably have the new codec for the c200 ready for NAB as well, so they’ll probably throw that in.

Nothing for the c100 line.

Possibly a new cinema prime or two to compete more with the Zeiss CP.2s. They really do need to bolster the line up there a bit more. I know a lot of cinematographers they like the 21mm and 100 mm Zeiss CP.2s. Canon would do well to add a 20mm and 100mm cine prime to the set.

Price drops on something. My guess would be the C100 mk 2, c200, and further rebates on the cinema lenses.

A C500/ c300 MK 2 replacment won’t come till August or so. If they spruce up the C300 MK II then it will probably be a C500 replacement to put in the $20,000 range. The C300 MK II is going for $10,000 new now, down from. $30,000 at debut, with the c700 packages currently ranged at $28,000-35,000.

And they’ll show off prototypes again and a development announcement to compete with the RED Weapon Helium and its Monstro sensor.

That’s the vibe I’ve been getting around the trade shows and sets anyway. No one really knows anything. I’d love to see a price drop again on the C300 MK II, but I doubt that will happen. Looking at the timeline that canon does cinema price drops, the C200 is the most likely candidate for the next one. That or the C700, but it wouldn’t make that one affordable even then. The C700 will most likely retain its price with new sensor options, and they might drop the current package down a bit to fill the price gaps between the c300 MK II and it. But probably just down to $25,000 if they do come in with a c500 replacement around $18,000 - $20,000.

C100 MK 3 will come after the c200 codec has been out for a bit to see how many pick it up instead. I think the c100 mk 2 replacement will come around the same time as the c200 MK II. Just a gut felling on that one, but I feel like Canon is trying to make more levels in the lineup, and make more sense to their upgrade cycles.

There will be no direct 1d c replacment, but I wish the 1d x MK II would get canon log, but that just won’t happen either. It’ll be the full frame mirrorless for the next non cinema video rich camera. That and the XC 15 replacment, which I hope has an interchangeable lens mount...

But again, complete guesswork here. But hey, I had fun.

Upvote 0

CanonGrunt

C70
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2012
robotfist said:
It seems pretty obvious to me what is coming. Canon released the C200 instead of the C100 MKIII. And instead of a C300 MKIII, they’ll release the C400, which will have everything everyone wanted the C200 to have (Raw with a middle ground codec, timecode, etc). Hopefully it’s not much bigger than the C200 because that camera has fantastic ergonomics.

I could definitely see a C400 with the C200 being pushed as it’s “B” camera. They should actually offer a bundle.

Upvote 0