Avian Pox and other Illnesses

bjd

Aug 29, 2011
Click said:
Hi Brian,

Where are you located to get so many sick birds?
North west Germany. I wonder if it is that many or whether I spend too much time watching them? Maybe they built a nuclear power plant just down the road......
We are doing a lot of disinfecting of the feeders, and not feeding the finches till the sick one pops off.
Cheers

Upvote 0
C

Canon-F1

bjd said:
Click said:
Hi Brian,

Where are you located to get so many sick birds?
North west Germany. I wonder if it is that many or whether I spend too much time watching them? Maybe they built a nuclear power plant just down the road......
We are doing a lot of disinfecting of the feeders, and not feeding the finches till the sick one pops off.
Cheers

im living in central germany. small village.
never seen that here.... hell that´s gross.

a nuclear plant is not so much a problem. they are under strict control.

coal, chemical industry nearby? that´s a constant source of pollution.

Upvote 0

bjd

Aug 29, 2011
Click said:
Thanks for your answer Brain. I watch them carefully at my feeder here (Eastern Canada), and they seem healthy so far. I wish you all the best with your birds, hoping things are going to get better in your region.
Cheers
Hi,
I guess many people do keep a good eye on whats going on, but how many sit there with a a Canon 100-400 zoom, which gives you the chance to see things later that you may well have missed live? My wife says she would not have noticed most of our problem birds if I hadn't shown her the shots on the PC.
But it does pose the question of what is going on?

Concerning the Finches:
http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/helpingbirds/health/sickbirds/greenfinches.aspx

Concerning the Pox, the Great tit with the big growth on its breast has not been seen over the weekend,
makes you wonder what will happen if a Hawk ate it? OTOH probably nothing as it does seem as if the pox doesn't affect all species.
Cheers Brian

Upvote 0