" Back Light Macro Tricks"

Rienzphotoz said:
please share the settings used, especially the flash power settings

My experience: for this, ettl is great. You have to experiment just a bit with flash ec & camera ec, what is required is to expose to the right w/o clipping whites, raise the shadows enough so you can further raise them in post w/o shadow noise or banding, but not so high that the texture is destroyed. Using a flash bracket (moving animals) or multiple off-camera flashes (static scene) is smart to avoid a harsh drop shadow and texture flattening. If you shoot in anything other than noon sun use a cto gel, it saves you removing the horrible blue flash color cast in postprocessing.

Upvote 0

surapon

80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
Aug 2, 2013
APEX, NORTH CAROLINA, USA.
Oceo said:
I've been reading entries at this site for a number of years. Surapon's images finally persuade me to join so I can not only learn from the postings of others but also share some images that speak to the topic. One such should be attached, taken in our garden October, 2009.

Dear New friend, Oceo.
Glad that you join us as the member of CR. site. Yes, I just join them Since August 2013 too, after come to read their post for 2 more years. If you observe their posts, You can find that Most of the Members are PRO, Or SEMI-PRO and have so much knowledge in photography , that they try to share with us---Yes, I have learn so much of new techniques and new Ideas for our love " HOBBY ".
Yes, After i Observe your beautiful Photo, You already have the ARTISTIC Ability in your heart and your brain---Now, Just keep on learning in the " HOW - TO ", and you will be one of the best Photographer in the near future.
Good luck and good hunting ( for the best Picture).
Surapon

Upvote 0

surapon

Aug 2, 2013
Rienzphotoz said:
Request to every one who is posting their awesome back lit macro shots: please share the settings used, especially the flash power settings ... it will be very helpful for people like me. Thanks.

Dear Friend Mr. Rienzphotoz.
Yes, I will do next time.
These two Photos, I use F. wide Open because I want background blur.
Thanks.
Surapon

Attachments

• BA3-R.jpg
    BA3-R.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 457
  • BA7-R.jpg
    BA7-R.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 445
Upvote 0

surapon

Aug 2, 2013
Marsu42 said:
Rienzphotoz said:
please share the settings used, especially the flash power settings

My experience: for this, ettl is great. You have to experiment just a bit with flash ec & camera ec, what is required is to expose to the right w/o clipping whites, raise the shadows enough so you can further raise them in post w/o shadow noise or banding, but not so high that the texture is destroyed. Using a flash bracket (moving animals) or multiple off-camera flashes (static scene) is smart to avoid a harsh drop shadow and texture flattening. If you shoot in anything other than noon sun use a cto gel, it saves you removing the horrible blue flash color cast in postprocessing.

Thank you, Sir, Dear Friend Marsu42.
Thanks for sharing your Great Expertise, that we all can learn from you.
Have a great day, Sir.
Surapon

Upvote 0

surapon

Aug 2, 2013
alexturton said:
surapon said:
When I am boring from typical Photos shooting, I try to do some thing difference. Here are some of my tricks.

This last picture is lovely

Thank you, Sir, Dear alexturton.
Thanks for your commend.
Surapon

Upvote 0
surapon said:
Rienzphotoz said:
Request to every one who is posting their awesome back lit macro shots: please share the settings used, especially the flash power settings ... it will be very helpful for people like me. Thanks.

Gear used for the butterfly image I posted : 1D X @ 1/8000 sec, 135mm + 1.4X II extender @ f/5.6, ISO 2000.

Upvote 0

surapon

Aug 2, 2013
Oceo said:
surapon said:
Rienzphotoz said:

Gear used for the butterfly image I posted : 1D X @ 1/8000 sec, 135mm + 1.4X II extender @ f/5.6, ISO 2000.

Thank you, Sir, Dear Oceo.
Thanks for your details of setting.
Have a great weekend.
Surapon

Upvote 0