Beaver Shots

I rarely see Beaver despite there being signs of them all around. Both of these were taken with the 70-200is usm ii with a 1.4xiii extender. This guy was sitting about 20 feet from a bridge in Fanno creek park in Portland, a biker told me to look when he saw my camera, I was expecting a nutria. You were all expecting an animal ..... right?

Attachments

• beaver sign.JPG
    beaver sign.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 2,041
  • beaver dozing by bridge_1.JPG
    beaver dozing by bridge_1.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 2,020

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
applecider said:
I rarely see Beaver despite there being signs of them all around. Both of these were taken with the 70-200is usm ii with a 1.4xiii extender. This guy was sitting about 20 feet from a bridge in Fanno creek park in Portland, a biker told me to look when he saw my camera, I was expecting a nutria. You were all expecting an animal ..... right?
The beaver is Canada's national rodent, so it seems appropriate to post these shots taken in Ottawa, the nations Capitol, with the Parliament buildings in the background.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    747.9 KB · Views: 1,987
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    453.9 KB · Views: 1,894
Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2014
i've only seen these little guys the once, and it was almost dark out, here's the best I could do.

super tight crop from my t3 with 70-200f4. some allegedly professional photographers that advocate not buying long tele lenses and instead walking closer to the subject have obviously never seen water before. ::)

Attachments

• IMG_7431.jpg
    IMG_7431.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,800
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Logan said:
i've only seen these little guys the once, and it was almost dark out, here's the best I could do.

super tight crop from my t3 with 70-200f4. some allegedly professional photographers that advocate not buying long tele lenses and instead walking closer to the subject have obviously never seen water before. ::)

Never be ashamed to do the best you can do with what you have at hand.

I always refered to the 800F5.6 as the "grizzly bear" lens... because that would be as close as I would want to get... I find that very often you can not get closer to wildlife because of the terrain (water) or because it will scare them away. I also found that standing on my tip-toes did not make birds in flight any closer :)

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2014
yes indeed. for some reason i keep thinking that leaning dangerously far out over the water on a slippery log is a better idea than just cropping to make up the max 3 feet of sneaker zoom that gives me. bad judgement i guess!

I got a good bear shot (black bear) with my 70-200, but there was a river with about 5000 fish between us so I wasn't worried. He was actually more worried that I was going to come over and steal his fish, he kept stashing them in the bushes whenever i made a sound.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Logan said:
wow those beaver paws are cute!

and beaver on ice hanging with a swan? unreal luck. if it was a beaver on ice with a canada goose you would have to win some kind of medal.
better check the background of my second shot... on the edge of the ice behind the branch....

Upvote 0
Nice shots all....

Don are there two in your parliament shot? The second far to the left?

My "model" was just sitting out of the water and I was walking a puppy on a flexi-leash. Tried to let the beaver sit there for all to enjoy as opposed to get him moving for action shots. Would be nice to go back to try to catch him actively chomping on trees.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
applecider said:
Nice shots all....

Don are there two in your parliament shot? The second far to the left?

My "model" was just sitting out of the water and I was walking a puppy on a flexi-leash. Tried to let the beaver sit there for all to enjoy as opposed to get him moving for action shots. Would be nice to go back to try to catch him actively chomping on trees.

Attachments

• beaver.jpg
    beaver.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 1,025
Upvote 0
I found this beaver eating some greenery during a fishing session in May last year. Had to crawl a bit to get near the furry one, photo was taken using the Canon S100.

Beavers went extinct in Sweden in 1871 (wonder how they found out exactly where the last beaver was living), they were hunted primarly for the castor sacs, extracting the castoreum. The hunters were paid well, a pair of castor sacs was worth two months salary during the 1830s. The people in Sweden were missing the beavers so much that we imported a few ones from Norway in 1922. It was a success and now we have a very good supply of beavers.

Attachments

• beaver1small.jpg
    beaver1small.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 1,064
Upvote 0