BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

Nat_WA

How about some more free time to take pictures...
Aug 15, 2017
Netherlands
I prefer this one. The picture is more dynamic indeed.

And for the Osprey, you didn't have nice lighting condition. It's very difficult to get a nice picture in that kind of lighting.
Thanks Click, you're too kind ;). Sky was overcast but not too badly, but there is indeed a lot of contrast between bird and background - sky.
Another one under comparable circumstances; White-tailed Eagle:
Biesbosch20180908-2278.jpg

Wiebe.

Click

Spends too much time on this forum
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Thanks Click, you're too kind ;). Sky was overcast but not too badly, but there is indeed a lot of contrast between bird and background - sky.
Another one under comparable circumstances; White-tailed Eagle:

Wiebe.

This picture is sharper, we can see more of the bird's details .

Last edited:

Nat_WA

Aug 15, 2017
Netherlands
Nice shots @Mikehit and Joseph (@beforeEos Camaras)
Lighting conditions when barn owls usually fly are - let's say - challenging. Especially the last one succeeded quite well nonetheless! I like it :)
I had to look twice at the gulls trying to work out which parts belonged to which bird ;)... Luckily I could see it enlarged on the flickr page (y)
Wiebe.

Nat_WA

Aug 15, 2017
Netherlands
Cool catching the barnie with prey!

I had a bit of luck yesterday morning with one of our local Belted Kingfisher's. This was fish number two for the morning.
[...]
1DX MK II 600 f/4L IS II w/1.4 III 1/2500 : f/7.1 : ISO 1000
Excellent shot Ed; catching a kingfisher 'in flight' counts (in my opinion) as a top achievement... (y)
And catching it with all that detail in the bird - and great exposure - and a beautiful soft and nicely layered background --- ehhhm that must be "over the top" :p
W.

Great shot, perfect exposure - well done ERHP!
Any kingfisher in flight is a great accomplishment and to catch it with food puts it over the top. All my kingfisher shots tend to be flying away from you. This one is meant to be published. Great capture.

AlanF

EOS 5DS R
Aug 16, 2012
Cool catching the barnie with prey!

I had a bit of luck yesterday morning with one of our local Belted Kingfisher's. This was fish number two for the morning.

1DX MK II 600 f/4L IS II w/1.4 III 1/2500 : f/7.1 : ISO 1000
Absolutely first class! Was it in mid flight or had it just taken off from a perch?

AlanF

EOS 5DS R
Aug 16, 2012
She had shaken off the water. Was it far from where she had caught it and were you able to get a shot of her diving in? I have only seen a belted kingfisher once (on holiday in Canada) and it seemed much larger than our Eurasian common kingfisher

Alan, so the spot she perched was maybe 20' from the edge of the pool she dove in to catch this fish. Unfortunately there are a few small clumps of vegetation that kept me from focusing on her impact spot but I was able to pick up most of her flights just after leaving the water. This was her about 1/3 of the way back to area she usually perches with fish #2 for the morning. Using single point focus so for me sitting in the mud it comes down to how well I can track her flight upwards/downwards.