BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Got out of the car and saw a Red Kite fly by. I wasn't really ready for it. The sky was overcast and the bird was backlit. The camera was at the "wrong" iso of only 200. But, it allowed me to push the exposure of shadows etc etc in post much more than usual. 5DIV, 800mm, f/8, 1/800s.

Attachments

• redkite_2B4A9176_DxO_CR.jpg
    redkite_2B4A9176_DxO_CR.jpg
    302.9 KB · Views: 126
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
rbielefeld said:
AlanF said:
Holding that weight on a boat! I am impressed. But, don't drop it overboard. Very good lighting.

Thanks. I hope to never turn my camera and lens into an anchor. That is for sure.

If you are going to use a make-do anchor, a 1DX II is a good weight to start with. Jack might be in the market for selling one cheap.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
AlanF said:
rbielefeld said:
AlanF said:
Holding that weight on a boat! I am impressed. But, don't drop it overboard. Very good lighting.

Thanks. I hope to never turn my camera and lens into an anchor. That is for sure.

If you are going to use a make-do anchor, a 1DX II is a good weight to start with. Jack might be in the market for selling one cheap.

If I buy a boat, I won't need to buy an anchor. I wouldn't want to inflict it on anyone.

Jack

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Jack Douglas said:
If I buy a boat, I won't need to buy an anchor. I wouldn't want to inflict it on anyone.

Jack

When disappointment and disillusionment overcome us logic is the only solution.

Are you comparing like to like with regards the 1DX MkII and 6D images? That is, were the 6D images also shot through glass at similar temperature differentials? Atmospheric conditions can easily destroy IQ at even modest distances. Traditionally inside to outside shooting has been discouraged because of the issues air temp gradients make to images and these are exacerbated with longer distances/lenses.

If everything else is the same then don't delay, don't 'write a report' (in my experience they don't even read them) just send the camera in, it won't cost you anything except some postage and then you will know. If you are not comparing like for like then do try to do that first.

We tend to get an emotional attachment to 'our' camera, the manufacturers don't care, to them it is just another camera. They will put it on their machines and run the tests, if it is out of spec they will fix it and if it isn't they will say so.

But don't rely on testing you have done through different temperature air ;)

Upvote 0