BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

Jul 28, 2015
Hey, Jack that is one hell of a shot. What aperture was that - the AF looks about on the beak and both wings are definitely OOF so I am not sure if AF is the issue.
The problem seems to be a combination of movement in the bird and you trying to get the shot. It looks like a 'grab shot' to me (see the bird in flight, camera up, position and shoot - and if the bird is flying left to right, and your brought your camera to bear from right to left that will exacerbate it). And if this shot is full frame it seems the bird was quite close which will add even more complexity. All ways up, I think you have done excellently to get it.
I am presuming you were you not tracking the bird for a couple of seconds first?

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Mikehit said:
Hey, Jack that is one hell of a shot. What aperture was that - the AF looks about on the beak and both wings are definitely OOF so I am not sure if AF is the issue.
The problem seems to be a combination of movement in the bird and you trying to get the shot. It looks like a 'grab shot' to me (see the bird in flight, camera up, position and shoot - and if the bird is flying left to right, and your brought your camera to bear from right to left that will exacerbate it). And if this shot is full frame it seems the bird was quite close which will add even more complexity. All ways up, I think you have done excellently to get it.
I am presuming you were you not tracking the bird for a couple of seconds first?

Thanks click & Mike.

Mike, when these guys take off, I guess like most, it's hard to know exactly what they plan to do and so it's more grab than track but I was trying to track. It's about half the frame and at 560 I should have had just 400 to give me a better chance. However, as usual I'm thinking at ISO 2500 or often above that I can't crop much before the noise interferes with detail. I was stopped down to F7.7 I believe and happened to have some sun although not full - Sunny Alberta hasn't been so sunny lately.

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
lion rock said:
Jack,
Well done! As Mikehit stated, "Jack that is one hell of a shot," those are extraordinary and wonderful photos!
That is a big encouragement and push for me. I'll work on my woodpile when I get back home in the next 2 days.
Great images, Jack.
-r

You'll soon be making me look bad, or maybe we'll just continue offering one another condolences. Either way it's a lot of fun. Good luck.

Jack

Upvote 0