BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Thanks Grant. Looking back a year ago, I posted a series of shorteared owls in flight using the 400mm DO II + 2xTC + 5DIV. They were about 100m away against a background of hay and trees.

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=19270.msg646154#msg646154

Given the present discussion about Hazeghi migrating to Nikon, it is amusing to reread the caption:

"Ari Hazeghi writes that the 5DIV + 400mm DO II + 2xTC is too slow focussing for other than slow moving birds against a blue sky. Some 50% of my shots were ok for these flying low and fast against a background. All 100% crops at f/8, 1/1600 s and auto iso (~640-1250)."

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
AlanF said:
Thanks Grant. Looking back a year ago, I posted a series of shorteared owls in flight using the 400mm DO II + 2xTC + 5DIV. They were about 100m away against a background of hay and trees.

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=19270.msg646154#msg646154

Given the present discussion about Hazeghi migrating to Nikon, it is amusing to reread the caption:

"Ari Hazeghi writes that the 5DIV + 400mm DO II + 2xTC is too slow focussing for other than slow moving birds against a blue sky. Some 50% of my shots were ok for these flying low and fast against a background. All 100% crops at f/8, 1/1600 s and auto iso (~640-1250)."

So, my question would be, I wonder what Ari would say about your samples - can you hazard a guess? He seems to be very finicky about what he finds acceptable, at least judging from some of his comments like the 5% he misses. Is 100m too far to be acceptable?

I assume your point here is strictly that the AF came through well, at about 50% keeper rate. That's an awful lot better than zero. I'm dying to get out where there are numerous BIF to really evaluate my DO on the 1DX2 because the last couple of years have had me up to my ears in renovations. I won't be denied this summer-fall.

Jack

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The point is that the lens and camera do lock focus accurately and fast enough with the 2xTC to be useful for distant BIF, which is when 800mm is really needed. If birds are that far away, I am happy to get a nice record for my end of year album. If they are close enough, the bare 400mm DO II on the 5DIV is blazingly fast and accurate and I can get great shots, and also with the 1.4xTC. The 100-400mm II is no slouch either. My Sigma and Tamrons are not in the same league for AF. Ari writes that the 1DX does focus fast with the 2xTC so you should be even better placed.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
AlanF said:
The point is that the lens and camera do lock focus accurately and fast enough with the 2xTC to be useful for distant BIF, which is when 800mm is really needed. If birds are that far away, I am happy to get a nice record for my end of year album. If they are close enough, the bare 400mm DO II on the 5DIV is blazingly fast and accurate and I can get great shots, and also with the 1.4xTC. The 100-400mm II is no slouch either. My Sigma and Tamrons are not in the same league for AF. Ari writes that the 1DX does focus fast with the 2xTC so you should be even better placed.

OK, that's what I figured you were getting at. Thanks.

I've held off chasing a second camera (for my wife, but I might use it ;)). I'd thought the 6D2 would do but now probably not. A 5D4?? - somehow I'm not totally thrilled with that idea given it's similarity to what I have and it's large/heavy size. Maybe just a travel camera. So, I wait, surprisingly without GAS.

Jack

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Jack same here for a camera for my wife. She does well with the 5DSR + 100-400mm II but it is heavy for her. I have been considering several systems from the RX10 IV, Panasonic G9 and Olympus OMD-1 II. Like Ryan, I would plump maybe for the D500 and 300mm f/4 PF. I just wish Canon would come up with a competitor to both. The Tamron 100-400mm on the 5DSR is noticeably lighter and quite good but not for BIF. I am not giving up on my 5DIV and 400mm DO II, which I think are just superb, giving a wide aperture bare and 800mm at the other extreme, which I use for most of the time.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
AlanF said:
Jack same here for a camera for my wife. She does well with the 5DSR + 100-400mm II but it is heavy for her. I have been considering several systems from the RX10 IV, Panasonic G9 and Olympus OMD-1 II. Like Ryan, I would plump maybe for the D500 and 300mm f/4 PF. I just wish Canon would come up with a competitor to both. The Tamron 100-400mm on the 5DSR is noticeably lighter and quite good but not for BIF. I am not giving up on my 5DIV and 400mm DO II, which I think are just superb, giving a wide aperture bare and 800mm at the other extreme, which I use for most of the time.

Well, once again we parallel one another. I'll be interested in your decision. It would be much more sensible to stay Canon if possible since I, like you, love my DO. This could be a last major expenditure. I wonder what a 5DSR2 might have to offer?

Jack

Upvote 0
Sometime everything just works out. this is full frame cropped to 16x9 and actually added a sliver of canvas to the left side to make both sides even. i didnt think i could squeeze he in the frame as close as she was but i got her and the focus was spot on to boot lol
1D4 400mm f5.6L
f5.6 1/3200 iso 200
_D4_6685 by Stuart Edwards, on Flickr

Upvote 0

HB

Jan 6, 2016
I had only gone to check what gulls were at the local roost when the sun appeared just as shower clouds were departing, provided a lovely blank background for a passing black-headed gull which I think transformed it's uniform plumage into something else, I hope you agree.

Attachments

• E W B H Gull...jpg
    E W B H Gull...jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 101
  • EW BH gull..jpg
    EW BH gull..jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 110
Upvote 0