BlackRapid FAIL - grrrrrr

JonAustin

Telecom / IT consultant and semi-pro photographer
Dec 10, 2012
Horseshoe Bay, TX
I have one each CustomSLR and BlackRapid strap; I bought the C-SLR and won the BR in an on-line drawing. Not sure which BR model it is, but probably the Metro.

We only use the BR strap for my wife's P&S, but I just looked up the LockStar, and think it might be a good idea to get one of these.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Unfortunate - sorry for your loss!

I have to say, in several years of using BR straps (I have a couple of them), I've never had the carabiner locking ring come loose. I did have one camera drop incident, but that was due to an inadvertent press of the lens release with the strap attached to the lens (and that was due to an unbalanced rig with a 2x TC when connected via a FastenR-T1/RC2 plate - switching to Arca plates and a Kirk 1" clamp on the BR strap allows me to balance appropriately).

I have had a the carabiner completely separate at the hinged portion, although my camera did not drop to the ground. BR sent me a replacement carabiner no questions asked.

I too use the Kirk 1" clamp and it is very solid.

There is no doubt in my mind that the weak link in the system is the swivel joint in the BR carabiner assembly.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Having read about Black Rapid failures and also having had the camera body fall off the lens, I made a very simple safety back up strap that holds the body to the strap using the strap lugs. The Black Rapid is screwed into the tripod foot of the lens as usual. I put a small hand strap through one of the camera body lugs and attached it to the Black Rapid strap via a key ring that can slide up and down. If the body falls off the lens, it is retained by the strap. If the connector or fastener to the tripod fail, then the lens is saved by the camera lug holding both of them. I have tested the system, and it works.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 905
Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2014
Sometime last year I changed from a BR to a CustomSLR strap, but I did it more for comfort than equipment safety. I actually think a combination of the two works well. The pad and webbing on the CustomSLR are more comfortable but I was not liking the leather and plastic connection to the camera. It seemed safe, except the 2 leather straps connect at the same plastic bar. So instead I used the BR hardware, changed the fastener to a FR-3, and some blue Loctite on the D-ring's clasp. But I was still not happy with that as I see that pin connecting the D-Ring/Swivel as a weak spot, so in a search I found this blog post on using a leash, clamp, and gaffers tape. http://enthusiastphotographer.com/2011/12/20/black-rapid-arca-solution/ I'm using the BR
Lockstar instead of the gaffers tape and still use Loctite, added the leash from OP/Tech, a RRS B2-FABN clamp on a RRS L-Bracket. Next I will be adding some Velcro to the plastic connections (OP/Tech Secure-Its). The other thing I do when not using the L-Bracket and i'm out hiking around is use a Spider Holster in addition to the BR setup. Even if the BR and it's extra safety features fail, the Spider Holster will have it. It has the added benefit of keeping the camera from swinging on my hip as I walk. I've added a second Spider Holster to the harness of my backpack. When I need it off my hip and secure, I just clip it to my chest and lock the Spider.

Attachments

• photo-2.jpg
    photo-2.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 768
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 868
Upvote 0
adhocphotographer said:
wickidwombat said:
so what failed?

pics?

from the description i assume the carabina like clip came unclipped?

Exactly... that is what happened. I guess my consent getting up and down wangled it free... :( I think that would constitute a design flaw! :(

did you have it screwed shut? because it operates as a screw gate carabina, perhaps movement in a praticular way unscrewed it by rubbing allowing it to un clip.

Upvote 0
Thanks all for the comments, I'm talking to BR now... I'll let you know if anything comes out of it. I will be adding a safty leash to my strap and setup until i find a better strap solution.

wickidwombat said:
did you have it screwed shut? because it operates as a screw gate carabina, perhaps movement in a praticular way unscrewed it by rubbing allowing it to un clip.

It was tights, but i am guessing all the bumping up and down on safari rattled it loose! :(

Upvote 0
fatmanmedi said:
i too have had problems with BR straps, one time i wash shooting in Florida, a fashion shoot on a boat, the boat took a turn a little too sharp, and my D4 + 70-200 Nikon lens detached it self from the strap and went over the side of the boat and duly sank.

I now use thread lock on the mount to make sure it's secure and i check it before every shoot where the camera can get damaged.

i feel for you, as it's never nice to see a camera get damaged due to a part failing.

I use BR straps because i don't see a good enought alternative on the market.

Fats

oh. my. god. 0_0 did you franticly jump in the water to get it? or did you just see it godown and that was that.

Upvote 0
F

fatmanmedi

CatfishSoupFTW said:
fatmanmedi said:
i too have had problems with BR straps, one time i wash shooting in Florida, a fashion shoot on a boat, the boat took a turn a little too sharp, and my D4 + 70-200 Nikon lens detached it self from the strap and went over the side of the boat and duly sank.

I now use thread lock on the mount to make sure it's secure and i check it before every shoot where the camera can get damaged.

i feel for you, as it's never nice to see a camera get damaged due to a part failing.

I use BR straps because i don't see a good enought alternative on the market.

Fats

oh. my. god. 0_0 did you franticly jump in the water to get it? or did you just see it godown and that was that.

I watched it go down, the boat was going at around 18kts so by the time we got back to where it had entered the water it was too late to recover it.

fats

Upvote 0
fatmanmedi said:
I watched it go down, the boat was going at around 18kts so by the time we got back to where it had entered the water it was too late to recover it.

fats

I think you win in terms of loss... I think if i where you i would have just followed it off of the boat! I did the same on the jeep, jumped right on after my camera! When i think back it was maybe not the best decision considering the jeep was moving, but my cat like reflexes did my well!

I should get my lens back tonight, I hope it is all fine....

I have been in contact with BR and they have been quite nice (kudos to them). they asked me "How do you feel we can make this situation right for you?" So i asked them to pay for the repair bill... lets see what they say about that! Will keep you posted!

Upvote 0
In case anyone is interested....

My lens got repaired for 44000 INR (735 USD) and blackrapid are going to pay for the repairs, which is nice of them!

No matter what you say about their straps, they stand behind their product and believe in it. I am still using my black-rapid strap but have attached a leash from the strap to the camera body as a safety line. I am also uber paranoid and don't rely on it!

If you use a BR strap be aware, use the lockstar and a leash too....

this is what a lens looks like after flying off of a moving jeep...

Attachments

• 140320-20140320-5D3_0137.jpg
    140320-20140320-5D3_0137.jpg
    484.5 KB · Views: 2,492
Upvote 0
Just received a BR7 tried it on my 5D3, yes it works fine but I had reservations. Glad I remembered this post! My main concern (and why I have responded to a oldish post ) is that there is no information in the box re the lockstar) It was in the box but I nearly ignored it, not knowing its` purpose. I will be fitting further fail safe straps as suggested by others here. One question for those who use Loctite on the threads, can you ever remove the thread if required ?

Alben

Upvote 0

Old Sarge

CR Pro
Nov 6, 2012
alben said:
Just received a BR7 tried it on my 5D3, yes it works fine but I had reservations. Glad I remembered this post! My main concern (and why I have responded to a oldish post ) is that there is no information in the box re the lockstar) It was in the box but I nearly ignored it, not knowing its` purpose. I will be fitting further fail safe straps as suggested by others here. One question for those who use Loctite on the threads, can you ever remove the thread if required ?

Alben
It can be removed if you use "blue 242" (which is still in a red tube....I think it used to actually be in a blue tube in the old days). The red 271 is permanent. (Actually you can break the red loose, it just takes a lot of torque).

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
tolusina said:
Please people, before you spend on a tripod socket attached sling strap thingy of any sort, google "camera strap failure".

...a brief google search might convince you.

Egad!! I just googled my car make/model and 'failure' and there were millions of hits. Not that I've had any problems in the four years I've owned it, but millions of hits on google mean it's doomed to fail. I'm off to set it on fire then push it off a cliff into the ocean because that brief google search convinced me it's obviously unreliable.

::)

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I haven't seen a issue, and mine does not loosen. Even if it did loosen, it takes several complete turns of the threads to disconnect, and if it fell off "moments" after securing it, its hard to imagine it turning that many times.

I do check mine visually as well as making sure its tight, since a cross thread can tighten a screw with only a partial turn, and it will easily separate.

The weakness in the system comes when users must repeatedly screw the attach point into their camera or lens base, and it just takes one cross thread when you feel it tighten to cause the issue.

It would be nice if everything were foolproof, but, as they say, fools are just too ingenious. (Not talking about the OP).

Upvote 0
I think my case was a horrible bit of bad luck.... But I am still using my strap, which I think says a lot.

BR where fantastic and paid for the repairs on my gear.

"a monkey hitting keys at random on a typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely type a given text, such as the complete works of William Shakespeare"

I would say that the problem I had is insignificant (statistically), although I do not have the figures... :)

Upvote 0