Nik Collection 6, Ongoing Buggyness

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I've been using Nik 6.5 since Black Friday, and while functioning has improved somewhat with the latest patches and an Asus z790 motherboard BIOS update, I still have recurring issues.

Most annoying is that when opening as a PS CC plugin, Nik will freeze the first time (after starting my PC) I use any of the Efex. At first I'd have to shutdown PS CC with Task Manager, which was a real workflow hassle, but now just Nik shuts down, and, surprisingly, edits usually get applied. If I attempt to use the plugin again, all is well.

The other is with HDR Efex in Lightroom Classic. When first purchased, it worked fine exporting from LR CC into HDR Efex, but now nothing makes it work. So I have to open DxO Photolab 7 to get the RAW files loaded into HDR Efex. Another workflow hassle.

Anybody else have such problems and solve them? DxO support is responsive via email, but they never have any suggestions other than to update drivers and reinstall, reinstall, reinstall.

EDIT: Just tried opening NIK as a standalone, and it behaves the same as when trying to open as a plugin--freezes upon first attempt. (My workflow goes through PS CC, so I had not tried opening as a standalone for some time.)

Last edited:

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I notice version 6.6 is now available. Might try that and see if you still have issues. I am running version 6.4 and have no issues whatsoever as a stand alone or as a Photoshop plug-in.
Thank you. I checked. Apparently, the last time I reinstalled, it went to 6.6. Still having the same issues.

Do you ever use HDR Efex? Do you send images from Lightroom?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2023
Thank you. I checked. Apparently the last time I reinstalled it went to 6.6. Still having the same issues.

Do you ever use HDR Efex? Do you send images from Lightroom?
I have never used HDR Efex. Typically use Viveza and Color Efex. Haven't sent from Lightroom, but from Photoshop or from DXO PhotoLab.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0