buy a 1DX used now or wait to buy a 5D4 later

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
jolyonralph said:
It doesn't really make much sense.

"Hello, I'm a musician. Should I buy a used piano now or wait to buy a saxophone later?"

Huh? I'm afraid it is your comment that makes no sense.

A better analogy would be: "Should I buy a used Steinway now or wait to buy a new Boston?"

But, even that is a poor analogy because a used Steinway isn't significantly different from a new Steinway. The 1DX is a great camera, but it still uses older technology. The discussion here is about the wisdom of buying old technology when newer technology is available. Opinions differ, but the question is legitimate and makes perfect sense.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
unfocused said:
jolyonralph said:

"Hello, I'm a musician. Should I buy a used piano now or wait to buy a saxophone later?"

A better analogy would be: "Should I buy a used Steinway now or wait to buy a new Boston?"

But, even that is a poor analogy because a used Steinway isn't significantly different from a new Steinway. The 1DX is a great camera, but it still uses older technology. The discussion here is about the wisdom of buying old technology when newer technology is available. Opinions differ, but the question is legitimate and makes perfect sense.

My wife prefers the used Steinway I bought her to the new Canon 100-400mm II + 5DSR. It takes all types I am afraid.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
AlanF said:
unfocused said:
jolyonralph said:

My wife prefers the used Steinway I bought her to the new Canon 100-400mm II + 5DSR. It takes all types I am afraid.

My wife settled for a new Boston, but then again...she also stole my 100-400mm II. So I guess we are about even.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Jolyonralph.
Didn’t another recent post already conclude that no one seems to care where Canon aimed their tools, people will use them for what they want anyway. Plus I don’t think they are different tools in as much as they are both camera tools with the same aim of capturing light to make images. :)

Cheers, Graham.

jolyonralph said:
The point being the 1DX and the 5D IV are different tools aimed at (slightly) different markets.

Upvote 0
In auto with the possibility of a moving subject & a spot meter, you fix the exposure by exposing a distinct properly chosen area of mid value reflectance, then reframe and shoot. If you wish to not have to reframe but the subject (arm) may move, then don't use the spot meter in auto. Use the averaging meter, which will not change just because an arm moves into the spot area, as it averages the whole scene. The meter may be partially or fully auto, but the brain of the shooter is free to think about what's happening and control outcomes ie the camera is not the boss. And if it is not presumed here, do set up and use a "back focus button" rather than associating the exposure control with the shutter button. That's like having automanual exposure

The 1DX vs 5D4 controversy is artificial. The former is for high volume journalism and reportage, the later for commercial type work. Photo bugs, fashionistas, artists, and hobbyists should also get the less bulky unit. If you going to a war zone, get the big boy, you can cover your head with it. ;)

This is my first post here, I find the layout rather much unreadable (learning curve I am sure) so if this replies to the wrong post, please understand I did spend some time reviewing the situation and decided to give it a sporting try.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
privatebydesign said:
awair said:
bluemoon said:
One feature nobody is mentioning is the exposure metering at the focusing point. In my case, shooting concerts required the ability to properly expose the image without recomposing. Taking into account the fast movoement and continuously changing lights, 1DX beats the 5D4. . .

pierre

I'll second this: I have both the 1DX & 5D4, and for ease of handling, the smaller body is much more preferable, but for control & customisation the 1DX wins.

I always end up wishing I had my spot metering linked to the focus point.

You will be very happy with either, just depends on your use case.

I find any kind of auto exposure utterly unworkable at concerts, I use manual mode exclusively. Indeed I find very little practical use for the AF linked spot metering and wouldn't give a seconds thought if it were omitted or deleted.

What do you do when then light suddenly lights up and blow out your M setting? With Av, spot linked to AF and limited lower shutter you’ll get every shot perfectly exposed, from flood light to cave. I LOVE spot meter on AF point :D

That said, choosing between the 1dx mk1 and 5d4, I would go with the 5d4 unless there was specific features I must have that only the 1dx has.

Upvote 0
Feb 23, 2012
I am grateful to everybody for the suggestions and advice.

I have given too much thought to it and the camera was sold. But I don't regret it at all.

I agreed that the 5D4 is a better choice to me with it's lighter weight (for me to carry around) and the new technology. BTW, I have four LP E6/LP E6N batteries and I don't have to invest in a new battery for the 1D.

One more important factor for the decision - my wife strongly objected me buying a very old (really ?) camera. haha

Thanks

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Viggo said:
privatebydesign said:
awair said:
bluemoon said:
One feature nobody is mentioning is the exposure metering at the focusing point. In my case, shooting concerts required the ability to properly expose the image without recomposing. Taking into account the fast movoement and continuously changing lights, 1DX beats the 5D4. . .

pierre

I'll second this: I have both the 1DX & 5D4, and for ease of handling, the smaller body is much more preferable, but for control & customisation the 1DX wins.

I always end up wishing I had my spot metering linked to the focus point.

You will be very happy with either, just depends on your use case.

I find any kind of auto exposure utterly unworkable at concerts, I use manual mode exclusively. Indeed I find very little practical use for the AF linked spot metering and wouldn't give a seconds thought if it were omitted or deleted.

What do you do when then light suddenly lights up and blow out your M setting? With Av, spot linked to AF and limited lower shutter you’ll get every shot perfectly exposed, from flood light to cave. I LOVE spot meter on AF point :D

That said, choosing between the 1dx mk1 and 5d4, I would go with the 5d4 unless there was specific features I must have that only the 1dx has.

Er roll either or both the shutter dial below my forefinger and back dial below my thumb depending on if I want to change the shutter speed and or aperture.

Auto exposure of any kind on any point would have gotten you into trouble with any of these examples. Very dark complexions with white suits, or black suits and hats, wildly changing light levels, very heavy flaring backlight etc etc.

You guys remind me of the people at the camera club that complain that their bird photos get marked down because the pose of the bird is weak when others who spend far more time doing it get the perfectly posed shots. Put the time in, do the work and use the camera any way it works for you. For me I wouldn't be working a dynamic concert scene in anything but M mode despite having AF point linked exposure control.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 660
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 664
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 675
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 673
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 148
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 141
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Hey Scott, I don't have enough years left to acquire anything close to your dextarity! For quite some time I never considered using manual. Then comments from good photographers nudged me in that direction and over time I've come to actually prefer it a lot of the time. I've even found myself guessing at settings and being pretty close and there to the right is an analog meter that gives me feedback. However, my background was with an F1 that I'd point at different objects to see the reading and then mentally average so that concept is still with me.

When not manual I have spot metering linked to the focus point and have few complaints.

It's not always easy to understand or remember all the good advice on CR so my efforts are full of failings but with some rewarding shots on occassion. I'd sure love to be tied to your coat tails.

BTW, it's very kind of you to post sample shots that illustrate your points!

Jack

Upvote 0
Sport Photography Body Advice

Current Rig:
7D with a Tamron 70-200 F2.8

I shoot college football and soccer games for fun and share photos with the athletes and parents. Games are mostly day. I want to upgrade and use 7D as a secondary. I don't sell my stuff so budget is an issue. I buy used and looking at either a 1D Mark IV or 7D Mark II for $1K. Also a Tamron 150-600 F5-6.3 G2. Thinking is the 1D has better ISO so the higher F on the lens would not be as much an issue?

Any suggestions?

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Re: Sport Photography Body Advice

EdMarra said:
Current Rig:
7D with a Tamron 70-200 F2.8

I shoot college football and soccer games for fun and share photos with the athletes and parents. Games are mostly day. I want to upgrade and use 7D as a secondary. I don't sell my stuff so budget is an issue. I buy used and looking at either a 1D Mark IV or 7D Mark II for $1K. Also a Tamron 150-600 F5-6.3 G2. Thinking is the 1D has better ISO so the higher F on the lens would not be as much an issue?

Any suggestions?

The 1D4 is a wonderful camera and in some features is better than the 7D2 but I found that by ISO 800 I was getting shots that were a bit noisy especially when I wanted to crop. Never owned the 7D2.

Jack

Upvote 0