2nd body, conflicted 5DS vs 5D4

Aug 22, 2013
I am a long time anti-anti-alias filter proponent. You can see from one of my previous posts that the resolution of the R5 sensor is only slightly below that of the acclaimed Z7/D850 sensor which has the same pixel count but without the AA-filter. So, Canon could increase the resolution a bit. In return, I have had none of the infrequent examples of Moire I have had with the 5DSR or D850 when using the R5. I believe that Canon retains the AA-filter as feature for video users as Moire affects video recordings - the 5DSR was not aimed at video. So, I can live with the very low level of blurring from the R5 sensor.
I've pretty extensively researched tons of examples of moire on the 5dsr vs 5ds from people who owned both and tried to find moire, which is the perfect comparison since they are identical besides the canceling filter.

The only cases i could find of significant moire on the 5dsr also showed significant moire on the 5ds, just a bit less of it. So it's not like you are avoiding moire, you are just making it a bit less prominent in some select (<1%) cases in exchange for all of your pictures being less sharp. This was useful for stills at 20mp but not so much at 51mp.

For stills I don't think that's worth the tradeoff and video is probably why they put it in the R5 - in video it is definitely still useful at 45mp. I am betting the R5s won't have an AA filter. The current 5DsR runout / closeout demonstrates the 5DsR was a much more popular camera as they aren't even bothering making any 5Ds anymore with the remaining sensors.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
The current 5DsR runout / closeout demonstrates the 5DsR was a much more popular camera as they aren't even bothering making any 5Ds anymore with the remaining sensors.
How do you know that Canon sold more of the r version ? Maybe the fact that you can still get one demonstrates that the plain s version sold out earlier ?

Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2013
How do you know that Canon sold more of the r version ? Maybe the fact that you can still get one demonstrates that the plain s version sold out earlier ?
I don't think the production of the R version actually ended when it was claimed it did by rumors sites well over a year ago. If it did, it would be long gone by now (like the 5ds), as it does not take 1.5 years to ship out remaining already manufactured camera inventory - 6 months tops. But, B&H continues to get shipments to this day, well over a year later. Instead, what likely occurred is that Canon likely continued to assemble 5DsR cameras at a slower pace (due to covid and more important priorities) with the 5ds/r sensors remaining in stock. By having 5ds truly discontinued so much earlier than 5dsr, that makes it likely Canon chose the 5dsr version to be the one that covers the runout period to the new high MP replacement; the reason Canon would do this is to simplify production lines so they do not need two different lines to manufacture slightly different cameras that both have no future - it makes more sense to only continue to make the one that is more popular and thus is easier to sell. It's really not a surprise they would make this choice as for every 1 person you find recommending the 5Ds over the 5DsR, you find 10 recommending the 5DsR over the 5Ds (both reviewers and users)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I use a 5Ds and also a 5D4. Why? Because the EOS 5Ds (R) is hardly suitable for taking effective photos in less than ideal lighting conditions. The 50MPixel sensor is hardly free of noise above ISO600. That restricts. The EOS 5DMK4 is incredibly sensitive and does not rustle that quickly. This makes the camera a reliable system even under difficult lighting conditions. Alternatively, an EOS R could be used. I use this especially with low-light.

Upvote 0