Canon 6D - Meike grip on ebay for under $40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 25, 2011
Upvote 0
FWIW I've bought several of these (my 7D and 5D2 are rocking them at the moment) from Amazon, under brand names such as "Neewer" and others... they've always been delivered as the Meike grips.

The Grips are not quite as solid feeling (the doors feel a bit flimsy), but they have always been 100% functionally for me, at only 15-20% of the price.

I have never been an early adopter, I wait until places like Amazon's fullfilment stock them for easy returns "just in case", however I've had a great track record so far.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
hemidesign said:
Mt Spokane Photography said:
hemidesign said:
Lots of people was happy with Meike 5Dmkiii grip.. I mean, solid product and performance.. many good reviews..
Not All! Many early buyers got defective units. It cost more to return them to China than they were worth.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3234007#forum-post-41986080

I did some research on google, these problems was the first generation from the 5dmkiii grips..
the latest ones are great...
Isn't that what I said?? Great is a bit overstating it, IMHO, even the Canon Grips are just fair.

Upvote 0
hemidesign said:
hemidesign said:
Lots of people was happy with Meike 5Dmkiii grip.. I mean, solid product and performance.. many good reviews..
Not All! Many early buyers got defective units. It cost more to return them to China than they were worth.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3234007#forum-post-41986080

I did some research on google, these problems was the first generation from the 5dmkiii grips..
the latest ones are great...
Isn't that what I said?? Great is a bit overstating it, IMHO, even the Canon Grips are just fair.

Oh yeah.. sorry, I didn't see the "many early buyers"... LOL

Upvote 0
I have a Meike grip for my T3i. When I received it in the mail all worked fine. After about 2 photoshoots with it the main shutter button would not take pictures. It would focus, but not take pictures. All of the other buttons worked as well. So left it alone for a few months. Shot a wedding this past Saturday, slapped it on to try it and the button is mysteriously working again. Let's hope it stays that way! Nonetheless, great feel to the grip and might as well be canon brand.

Upvote 0
I had a Meike for my T2i, and had no problems with it for the 18 months that I used it... Just got a 6D, but couldn't live without a grip, so I got the Canon unit.... Based on my past experience with Meike, I would not have hesitated in purchasing a Meikie were it available at the time... $200 saved buys some nice filters or factory batteries.

Upvote 0

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
RMC33 said:
Not a bad price.

Probably because the grip is a straight copy from the 60d - the Meike copy for the 6d even features the zoom functions that are only available on the 60d (see blue markings on Meike vs Canon) - or am I mistaken?

But as long as it works €40 is a good price and probably realistic for the manufacturing value, that's gives an impression about Canon's markup on grips, lens hoods and lens caps...

Attachments

• 10039702_7.jpg
    10039702_7.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 5,627
  • eos6d_10.jpg
    eos6d_10.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 6,338
Upvote 0
Marsu42 said:
hemidesign said:
I bought one.. waiting for arrival...
I promise to do a review from this "cheap" grip.. ;)

So... has it arrived yet? I'm just bugging because I'd like to read a review of this from a real person and not a Meike exec writing on Amazon...

Not yet.. I'm still waiting.. 2 weeks already! :(

Upvote 0

Ryan708

Less bickering, more shooting
Mar 1, 2012
New Hampshire
I have a meike for my 60D and it seemed ok, except for the reviews saying it shorted out batteries, I checked the internal wiring and it was all fin on mine. However sometimes the thumb wheel on the back of my 60d would stop working with it attached, untill I turned the exposure wheel. No biggee. But shooting a friends wedding, I was against a wall in a kinda cramped area, and was holding the camera a little weird, and gripping the meike grip firlmly, and it all of a sudden, powered my camera down and the batt light was all that was on the top LCD, and it wouldnt tunr on/back off. In about 30 second I had the grip removed and the batt and door back on body only, and I didnt miss a critical shot, but it pissed me off. It did the same thing with my 300mm lens a couple times. I assume the cheap plastic flexes too much when gripping tightly, and loses contact

Upvote 0
hemidesign said:
Not yet.. I'm still waiting.. 2 weeks already! :(

When (and if :)) you receive the Meike grip, it'd very, very helpful if you could try to provoke the above error by trying to bend the grip and see if the camera bugs out - I've read about this possibility before concerning Canon & 3rd party grips, and it'd quite important to know if the budget price means severely reduced reliability.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.