Status
Not open for further replies.

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
bradfordswood said:
Usable up to 3200 ISO for stills you say?

The moment anyone states something like this w/o any further specifics forget about it - "usable" is as subjective as it gets, and it needs to explained what "pain" noise threshold the reviewer has, what about colors / banding / gradients / dynamic range? For anyone basing his/her decision on such an analysis the thing that matters most is also what final max. print/view size is intended.

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2012
Thanks for the review!

While some may differ on the subjective assessments (like noise performance), I found your review to be thorough and thoughtful. It's nice to hear about the small things, too, like the tactile feel of the buttons. I'll probably be getting the 70D as the holidays get close and prices hopefully come down a little, so it's nice to have a good idea of exactly what I'd be getting into.

Downloading the RAW files now...

Upvote 0
Marsu42 said:
bradfordswood said:
Usable up to 3200 ISO for stills you say?

The moment anyone states something like this w/o any further specifics forget about it - "usable" is as subjective as it gets, and it needs to explained what "pain" noise threshold the reviewer has, what about colors / banding / gradients / dynamic range? For anyone basing his/her decision on such an analysis the thing that matters most is also what final max. print/view size is intended.

All I meant was that the images produced by this camera at ISO 3200 look nice when compared with older Canon APS-C cameras. IMHO, of course. YMMV, etc, etc.

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2012
One thing I noticed after downloading the RAW files is that the samples in the review video appear to be post-noise-reduction (either from-camera JPEG or noise-reduced in Lightroom). There's a healthy dose of chroma noise in the 1600 ISO sample.

That being said, on the sample RAW image in question, it does clean up quite nicely in Lightroom without too much loss of detail. I can still read the smallest numbers on the tire just fine ("For DOT test and normal highway use in North America and Australia" on the upper left side).

The sample image is a fairly close-up view of a mostly smooth object, though, so it might just be that this particular images cleans up well because there's not as much detail to lose. Still, this is WAY better than what I'm getting right now from my camera, so this still looks like a solid upgrade to me...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.