Not open for further replies.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div id="fb_share_1" style="float: right; margin-left: 10px;"><a name="fb_share" type="box_count" share_url="http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/02/canon-ef-200-400-f4l-is-announced/" href="http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php">Share</a></div><div><script src="http://static.ak.fbcdn.net/connect.php/js/FB.Share" type="text/javascript"></script></div><div class="tweetmeme_button" style="float: right; margin-left: 10px;"><a class="tm_button" rel="&style=normal&b=2" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/02/canon-ef-200-400-f4l-is-announced/"></a></div>
<p><strong>London, UK, 7th February 2011</strong> – Canon today announces the development of a telephoto zoom lens featuring an integrated focal length extender – the EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM EXTENDER 1.4x. The lens will be displayed for the first time during CP+, held in Yokohama, Japan.</p>
<p>Designed for Canon’s leading range of EOS Digital SLR cameras, the new lens will be an ideal addition for sports and wildlife photographers, offering exceptional flexibility with a built-in 1.4x extender that creates an increased focal range of 280 – 560mm.</p>
<p>Perfect for photographers who require high performance, fast aperture and a flexible telephoto range, the EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM EXTENDER 1.4× will enable photographers to shoot a greater breadth of subjects using a single lens, delivering the best possible image quality at all focal lengths.</p>
<p>Developed as a new addition to Canon’s acclaimed L-series of professional lenses, the new lens will offer an unsurpassed combination of versatility, first-class optical performance and an enhanced weather-proof construction. The model will be released as part of Canon’s continued development of its EF lens line-up, offering enhanced performance and improved functions that cater for the needs of photographers from beginners through to professionals.</p>
<p>The EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM EXTENDER 1.4x is scheduled for launch during 2011.</p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Re: Canon EF 200-400 f/4L IS Announced

trueblue said:
Has Canon ever made a lens with a built in teleconverter? I thought they were having manufacturing problems? With this many new lenses announced, does this mean they're fixed?

Well, this is a "development" announcement. So they have 10 months left in 2011 to start making them for customers.

Upvote 0
T

tzalmagor

This lens might be Canon's response to the Nikon 200-400mm f/4 VR, and the early announcement might be an attempt to keep people from jumping brand. This would mean this lens' price would be similar to that of the Nikon (read: ~$6,500), possibly with a premium for the built-in 1.4x extender.

That would mean this lens doesn't replace the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 (which, I assume, competes with Nikon AF VR Zoom-Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED).

The photo has a metal loop that I think is not a part of the lens, but rather a part of an anti-theft device (the one with a metal wire that has a lock on one side, and a big lump on the other side that wouldn't pass through the loop).

If I'm right, that might mean that the lens isn't just being display (as in, maybe this is just a mockup in a glass box), but a prototype that people can play with in CP+ (Feb 9th-Feb 12th, - in a couple of days), which means production could be significantly closer than Dec 31st.

Upvote 0
F

Flake

The street price of the Nikon version is £5000 the RRP is higher at £6200. Generally Canons lenses are a bit cheaper than Nikons for the same focal length, but this one has the 1.4 TC built in, so for it to compete with Nikon I'd suggest a street price somewhere around the same.

The bigger issue is demand, and I wonder how many will be sold, as I've never seen the Nikon version, Nikon users speak of it in hushed tones as if it's some mythical beast, most outlets don't even appear to stock it.

When I want these kinds of focal lengths I have the Sigma 120 - 300mm f/2.8, that's now available with OS and it has a good reputation. It's a full stop faster than this Canon through half its range, and with a 1.4x tc it reaches 420mm at the same aperture, with a 2x it gives 240 - 600mm f/5.6 All this is (including the TCs )available for £2100 which is about a third of what is being projected for the Canon.

Upvote 0
T

tzalmagor

Flake said:
The bigger issue is demand, and I wonder how many will be sold, as I've never seen the Nikon version, Nikon users speak of it in hushed tones as if it's some mythical beast, most outlets don't even appear to stock it.

My impression is that most EF lenses Canon released since the beginning of 2008 are of the 'I wouldn't expect most outlets to stock due to low sales' category. That includes the two TS-E lenses, the 200mm f/2, the 300mm f/2.8, 400mm f/2.8, 500mm f/4, the 600mm f/4, the 800mm f/5.6, and probably the 70-300mm f/4-5.6L as well.

Upvote 0
D

DetlevCM

This does look like a very interesting lens.
Also because it's a highly versatile concept - yes, you can get 400mm with a 2.0 extender and a 70-200 for a reasonable price, but you need to swap lenses.

Having a built in extender sounds good if it can be switched on/off reasonably quickly.
And from what I've heard the 1.4 extenders from Canon have only a very small detrimental effect on image quality.

What I do worry about is the price though - I feel this will be very, very expensive.
-> so sadly, nothing for me for quite some time to come...

(There are 2 other lenses on my list that I can't afford now, but will at some point... 16-35 2.8 and 70-200 2.8 II)

Upvote 0
for sure it'll be expensive, thats about as certain as the sun will rise tomorrow.

Pricing should be comparable to the 300 2.8, and the nikkor 200-400 vr.

I'm not suprised about this lens though, the canon camp's been crying for awhile now that nikon have the 200-400 so it was only a matter of time before canon released one.

For those waiting for the 100-400L replacement, THIS IS IT, well sort-of.
When the 70-300L was released many claimed that it was the 100-400 replacement, except it fell short somewhat.
It did however leave a obvious hole for a 200-400L and voila.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.