Size Matters!
Apr 5, 2011
Europe
www.flickr.com
Pinchers of Peril said:
ecka said:

IMG_3167 by ecka84, on Flickr

IMG_3208 by ecka84, on Flickr

These pics are great. What extension tubes do you use? I've never worked with extension tubes before, but these pics are amazing and it's awesome that you took them with the shorty forty.

Pinchers of Peril said:
Also (and this maybe a stupid question, but like I said I have never used extension tubes) can you only use manual focus if you are using extension tubes?

I'm using the Marumi extension tube set (13+21+31). It seems like a decent quality product - metal mounts, lens electronics connection, metal lens release levers, while reasonably priced. It supports AF, which is not very usable at macro distances (just like with any other macro lens), but lens electronics support is needed to operate the manual focus of the 40STM, image stabilization, as well as aperture.

Upvote 0

Pinchers of Peril

Shoot first ask questions later
Nov 15, 2012
www.paulandsunny.blogspot.com
CarlTN said:
ajfotofilmagem said:
Pinchers of Peril said:
Also (and this maybe a stupid question, but like I said I have never used extension tubes) can you only use manual focus if you are using extension tubes?
There are extension tubes that allow auto focus, it keeps the electrical connections between camera and lens, and start at $ 70, and work both autofocus and image stabilizer lens. There are also inexpensive extension tubes that do not allow the electrical connection between camera and lens. Beware of them, for some lens models, specifically Canon 40mm need electricity to even do manual focus. Therefore, it is mandatory for Canon 40mm extension tube with electrical contacts, even for manual focus.

Awesome... thanks
+1, good advice!

Upvote 0
2013 Makanda Vulture Fest
Canon 6D
10373798265_343594c184_c.jpg

10373800155_e14466f79d_c.jpg

10373962223_2a17386e14_c.jpg

10373750014_7fffb11d61_c.jpg

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
CarlTN said:
Sporgon said:
It also seems to be a great moonlight lens.

I like to use it with a Big hood - three times larger than the lens ;D

Nice shot of the Pleiades! They look larger than I would think they would be at 40mm...is this slightly cropped?

Yes it is cropped in ! Well spotted, I'm impressed.

Upvote 0
Sporgon said:
CarlTN said:
Sporgon said:
It also seems to be a great moonlight lens.

I like to use it with a Big hood - three times larger than the lens ;D

Nice shot of the Pleiades! They look larger than I would think they would be at 40mm...is this slightly cropped?

Yes it is cropped in ! Well spotted, I'm impressed.

Thanks. I've been doing some night sky stuff for a few years now. Recently was doing this section of the sky along with Andromeda and the Milky Way, with my 135 f/2, with the pancake, and with my new Sigma 24mm f/1.8. Also used the 24-105. They all have a bit of coma toward the corners, with the Sigma 24mm having the worst by far, at apertures wider than about f/4.5 anyway. But I think I can live with it for the price. It's a fun lens...they all are, haha.

Upvote 0
silversurfer96 said:
Love this little lens. For the price and the image quality you get out of this little guy, it's the best bang for the buck.
+1. I'm finding I have it on the camera probably 75% of the time, rather than the 50mm f1.4 as its very compact, sharper and has great contrast. A very underrated lens.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
silversurfer96 said:
Love this little lens. For the price and the image quality you get out of this little guy, it's the best bang for the buck.
+1 ... due to its real small size, I carry it all the time now as a back up lens (it easily fits inside the smallest pocket of my Case Logic SLR Sling SLRC-205) ... just yesterday I dropped my 16-35 L II lens and did not have a substitute so I used the 40mm for a little while, before I gently broke the filter glass and continued on with the 16-35 ... the 40mm came in real handy to get the job done ... if it wan't the shorty forty I would have missed some very critical footage.

Upvote 0

drmikeinpdx

Celebrating 20 years of model photography!
I've been using my 40 mostly as an indoor lens for people or things like museum exhibits. I used it last week when I did a "house call" for my boudoir business. Here is an example:

p468210729-5.jpg

This is at F/2.8 which gives me the DOF I'm looking for. This is with a 5D3.

If you would like to see more images from this shoot, you can go to my blog http://www.beyondboudoirphoto.com/blog/2014/2/beyond-boudoir-photo-makes-a-house-call

Be advised that the first four images are safe for work. After that they are NSFW. You have been warned. :)

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
drmikeinpdx said:
I've been using my 40 mostly as an indoor lens for people or things like museum exhibits. I used it last week when I did a "house call" for my boudoir business. Here is an example:

p468210729-5.jpg

This is at F/2.8 which gives me the DOF I'm looking for. This is with a 5D3.

If you would like to see more images from this shoot, you can go to my blog http://www.beyondboudoirphoto.com/blog/2014/2/beyond-boudoir-photo-makes-a-house-call

Be advised that the first four images are safe for work. After that they are NSFW. You have been warned. :)
Very tastefully done ... AWESOME!

Upvote 0