Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM "Pancake"

Sporgon said:
CarlTN said:
Sporgon said:
Still loving this lens. It's probably not quite as good as the 50 1.4 across the frame at mid apertures, but I love the bokeh at 2.8

Nice shots. Do you actually do panoramics with the 40mm pancake? I've noticed what almost looks like a touch of mustache distortion in mine. Seems like that would be a nightmare for stitching.

We certainly do produce panoramics with the 40mm pancake; in fact that's what we bought them for. The 35L has gone the way of ebay. From what I can ascertain the 40 has virtually zero distortion, and a short nodal point, that's why it's our favourite lens for this job at the moment. I haven't come across any reviews that show the slightest 'mustache' distortion, even in Mexico.

Here's the latest shot we've done using the 40mm; it's the Lighthouse at Flamborough Head on the North East Coast of England. Got really lucky, arrived before dawn, thought it was going to be a wash out. Set up, then resorted to a pipe and coffee, before the sun broke through a clear horizon. Then it's a monumental panic to get all the frames and brackets off before the magic's gone.

That's a gorgeous bit of work there. Great light, and I'm sure the original has some fabulous sharpness. I would love to see Canon put out a few more pancakes for either FF or the EF-M mount. The 22mm EF-M lens is a sweetheart, too, that in many ways reminds me of the 40mm

Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2013
Sporgon said:
CarlTN said:
Sporgon said:
Still loving this lens. It's probably not quite as good as the 50 1.4 across the frame at mid apertures, but I love the bokeh at 2.8

Nice shots. Do you actually do panoramics with the 40mm pancake? I've noticed what almost looks like a touch of mustache distortion in mine. Seems like that would be a nightmare for stitching.

We certainly do produce panoramics with the 40mm pancake; in fact that's what we bought them for. The 35L has gone the way of ebay. From what I can ascertain the 40 has virtually zero distortion, and a short nodal point, that's why it's our favourite lens for this job at the moment. I haven't come across any reviews that show the slightest 'mustache' distortion, even in Mexico.

Here's the latest shot we've done using the 40mm; it's the Lighthouse at Flamborough Head on the North East Coast of England. Got really lucky, arrived before dawn, thought it was going to be a wash out. Set up, then resorted to a pipe and coffee, before the sun broke through a clear horizon. Then it's a monumental panic to get all the frames and brackets off before the magic's gone.

Nice work!

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
TWI by Dustin Abbott said:
filo64 said:
Like 5pacedog's selfie on page five of this thread, I like to shoot it into the light. It resists loss of contrast very well.

Nice high key work. For the money, it's a fabulous little lens.
+1
I need to use my shorty forty more often :-[

Upvote 0
I'm going to use this lens as my full body/medium portrait lens at a Doctor Who convention this November. I have the 24-105, but I want to try shooting primes, and I would like to keep the shutter below the flash synch. I plan on using the rogue XL pro on my flash with a ttl cable hand held (civil war style :p). Hopefully, I will be able to get the 135 f/2 to use for the staged event. Lighting is very bad, but the 6D should handle it well. I purchased the shorty forty for a cheap backup and have neglected it. Shame on me.

Upvote 0

Pinchers of Peril

Shoot first ask questions later
Nov 15, 2012
www.paulandsunny.blogspot.com
ecka said:

IMG_3167 by ecka84, on Flickr

IMG_3208 by ecka84, on Flickr

These pics are great. What extension tubes do you use? I've never worked with extension tubes before, but these pics are amazing and it's awesome that you took them with the shorty forty.

Upvote 0
Pinchers of Peril said:
Also (and this maybe a stupid question, but like I said I have never used extension tubes) can you only use manual focus if you are using extension tubes?
There are extension tubes that allow auto focus, it keeps the electrical connections between camera and lens, and start at $ 70, and work both autofocus and image stabilizer lens. There are also inexpensive extension tubes that do not allow the electrical connection between camera and lens. Beware of them, for some lens models, specifically Canon 40mm need electricity to even do manual focus. Therefore, it is mandatory for Canon 40mm extension tube with electrical contacts, even for manual focus.

Upvote 0
ajfotofilmagem said:
Pinchers of Peril said:
Also (and this maybe a stupid question, but like I said I have never used extension tubes) can you only use manual focus if you are using extension tubes?
There are extension tubes that allow auto focus, it keeps the electrical connections between camera and lens, and start at $ 70, and work both autofocus and image stabilizer lens. There are also inexpensive extension tubes that do not allow the electrical connection between camera and lens. Beware of them, for some lens models, specifically Canon 40mm need electricity to even do manual focus. Therefore, it is mandatory for Canon 40mm extension tube with electrical contacts, even for manual focus.

+1, good advice!

Upvote 0