Is it finally happening? Canon RF 50mm f/1.4 USM [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
During the Canon EF mount days, there was a running joke about the ancient Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM being in the lineup. The lens had been around for about 25 years when the EOS R system was announced. A lot of people jokes that Canon kept it around for the after purchase revenue stream

See full article...

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Isn't nano-USM already linear, as well as the recent STM variants? Apart from that: paging @ahsanford!

STM is a stepping motor.

Nano-USM is almost linear in movement, but is still focus by wire.

Modern linear focusing motors are electromagnetic like you see in some Fuji and Sony lenses.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
It doesn\'t really makes sense to me not to have a 50 1.4 in the RF lineup. I don\'t think many people will
buy the 50 1.2 if they only want a slightly better 50mm. They will just not buy anything or get the 50 1.8 STM (or adapt a Sigma Art).
So i believe Canon is losing lots of potential sales of a $1000 lens by trying to push people to a $2500 lens.

But what do i know?

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
Nov 25, 2022
During the Canon EF mount days, there was a running joke about the ancient Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM being in the lineup. The lens had been around for about 25 years when the EOS R system was announced. A lot of people jokes that Canon kept it around for the after purchase revenue stream

See full article...
As regards the gaping pricing hole that Canon could fit into with a modern RF 50mm f/1.4 lens, same could be said for the 85mm lenses. The gap is huge between the f/1.2 and f/2.0 (I don't even understand why they didn't go for f/1.8 at least).

And probably, gap will be the same when the 35mm f/1.2 is released.

And I wouldn't mind a 135mm f/2.0L IS USM at a cheaper price point than the f/1.8L (but it's not going to happen as 0.2 is not much of a difference to people's eyes, I guess).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

See full article...
Actually, the block diagram / optical formula for the EF 50mm f1.4 USM pre dates the EF mount, it was a direct lift from the mkII FD mount version. Optically, it's an idential lens. The EF version was the autofocus (and EF mount) version ofthe same lens. This indicates that optical design goes back to the very ancient 1979!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Actually, the block diagram / optical formula pre dates the EF mount, it was a direct lift from the mkII FD mount version. So the optical design goes back to the very ancient 1979!!!
Those FD lenses go for a lot of money right now even the radioactive ones,
A lot more EF lenses were produced but I wonder if discontinued EF lenses will start to go up in value.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Actually, the block diagram / optical formula for the EF 50mm f1.4 USM pre dates the EF mount, it was a direct lift from the mkII FD mount version. Optically, it's an idential lens. The EF version was the autofocus (and EF mount) version ofthe same lens. This indicates that optical design goes back to the very ancient 1979!!!

I had no idea. That's funny and sad.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Please make it an L lens with IS
If you make it an "L" lens with IS, it's going to cost well over $1000, which kind of defeats the purpose of its existence.

IS adds cost and size to a lens, is it really needed with IBIS bodies becoming the norm? I'd rather a top end focus motor... After using the RF 85 f/2 IS... give me usm (or linear?) over IS any day.

Look at the EF 85 1.2L II vs the EF 85 f/1.4L IS.... they really weren't all that different in price ($1600 at launch for the 1.4). The 1.4 was just a needed modern take on a fast 85L. The RF 50 f/1.2 is already a modern design with fast autofocus.

I'd like to see such a lens with some level of weather sealing, but if you want it sub $1000, it can't be an "L".

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I'll believe it when I see it. A lot of people will be dissatisfied whatever happens; if it's not released, then they're "ignoring the middle market", if it's optically excellent it'll be too bulky and expensive, if it's more affordable it'll be too compromised (weather sealing, poor corners, maybe software corrections). And if they do release one, then the clamour for mid range lenses at other focal lengths will only increase.

I had the EF 50mm f/1.4 for a while and actually liked the images it produced, but I'm in no hurry to get another; I take very few portraits, however.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0