Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II USM

Attachments

• Räv canonrumors.jpg
    Räv canonrumors.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 273
Upvote 0
i have been considering this lens for a while and decided to get one after talking to a couple guys using the lenses. i just got it today and haven't had a chance to do any real shooting with it yet but here are a couple test shots taken while getting the afma set on the 7dii. they are with the 1.4xiii. i don't see how there can be a better lens for small birds like this. the weight is not a big deal as i am used to shooting the sigma 120-300s which is pretty heavy but the thing is enormous. it was really windy today and the lens hood is as big as an airport windsock!

there is no extra sharpening or tweaking just dxo default conversion, there is no module for the lens+tc

Attachments

• 154A7719_DxOM.jpg
    154A7719_DxOM.jpg
    502.5 KB · Views: 370
  • 154A7721_DxOM.jpg
    154A7721_DxOM.jpg
    470 KB · Views: 335
Upvote 0
candc said:
i have been considering this lens for a while and decided to get one after talking to a couple guys using the lenses. i just got it today and haven't had a chance to do any real shooting with it yet but here are a couple test shots taken while getting the afma set on the 7dii. they are with the 1.4xiii. i don't see how there can be a better lens for small birds like this. the weight is not a big deal as i am used to shooting the sigma 120-300s which is pretty heavy but the thing is enormous. it was really windy today and the lens hood is as big as an airport windsock!

there is no extra sharpening or tweaking just dxo default conversion, there is no module for the lens+tc
Congratulations with your purchase! I agree, there is no better lens for small birds, especially combined with the 1.4xIII. But as you say, it´s big. I often go on longer hikes in the mountains and I sometimes wonder what I´m doing, carrying this beast. But then you get That image and suddenly size and weight is no issue. The size is actually a bigger issue that its weight to me.

Upvote 0
you are right about the iq. i wasn't immediately impressed but after doing some test shooting and zeroing the focus then it is fantastic. i had to make a +8 afma adjustment on the 7dii. i really like how good the photos look from this lens straight away. it goes without saying that its easier to get a good output image if you have a good one to start with. sort of like smoked fish.

Upvote 0
well i got to do some real shooting down by one of the dams on the wisconsin river today. the light was crap. my only reluctance with getting this lens earlier was that i thought it may be a hindrance to be stuck with too much lens. it may be true that you cannot always get the framing you want but you can just go with it and then crop some more to get some really tight shots like this eagle.

Attachments

• 2154A8775_DxO.jpg
    2154A8775_DxO.jpg
    573.2 KB · Views: 354
Upvote 0

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
candc said:
well i got to do some real shooting down by one of the dams on the wisconsin river today. the light was crap. my only reluctance with getting this lens earlier was that i thought it may be a hindrance to be stuck with too much lens. it may be true that you cannot always get the framing you want but you can just go with it and then crop some more to get some really tight shots like this eagle.

Wonderful shot!

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
candc said:

Great shot, candc. Well done.

Upvote 0
Jun 11, 2013
DominoDude said:
Vern said:
Nuthatch trilogy all with 600II + 1.4X III, 5DIII + fill flash w better beamer (-1 & 2/3 stops typically).

Those are exquisite, Vern! I especially like the last one, it would fit nicely in any bird guide straight away.

sometimes the bird and the light and the kit all come together - its one of my favorites too

Upvote 0
Vern said:
Nuthatch trilogy all with 600II + 1.4X III, 5DIII + fill flash w better beamer (-1 & 2/3 stops typically).

i really like how balanced the lighting is on these photos. i don't know much about flash photography. when you say -1 2/3 do you mean ettl with fec set to that? i have a better beamer and i have tried and liked how the flash brings out the contrast and the small details in the feathers but my shots look harsh compered to yours

Upvote 0