Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II USM

Thanks to everyone who commented on the eagle photos. I've been reading these forums for a while but thought I might as well contribute also. I have good access to these eagles in the wild as we have two very accessible nests (one with live webcam that successfully fledged triplets this season). The close headshot is one of these 3 fledglings. The adult landing on the tree is the parent from that nest. The adult perched is the parent from the other nest that raised 2 fledglings this year.
While I'm out shooting the eagles I occasionally get lucky with a flyby from some other raptor species. Here is a shot from Friday of one such flyby by a male Northern Harrier. I should also note that all these images are shot handheld. I use the RRS replacement foot for a good handle and as a plate when I do use a tripod or monopod. The lens is handhold-able for a short time to follow the bird as it flies across, the rest of the time I either have it on the ground, on my tripod to rest it, or just carry it by the foot at my side.

Attachments

• 1DX_0093.jpg
    1DX_0093.jpg
    324.8 KB · Views: 1,437
  • 1DX_0100.jpg
    1DX_0100.jpg
    375.4 KB · Views: 1,463
Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2013
rpt said:
TWI by Dustin Abbott said:
eml58 said:
Northern Svalbard, From the Deck of the MS Stockholm, August 2013.

1Dx 600f/4 II + 1.4x, Shot @ 840mm F/8 & 1/500th ISO250

Awesome. That is far from the "starving" versions you often see in the media. Love the slight blue of the ice!
+1

It does look cool!

Quite right ... it does look cool, literally as well as figuratively ;)

Upvote 0

revup67

Memories in the Making
Dec 20, 2010
Southern California
www.flickr.com
Got this lens on loan from CPS - day 1 1st impressions: after you get used to the massive and awkwardness of this lens, its most impressive. I opted to lug it around without anything other than the camera strap and the lens strap. I had a 3/8" threaded handle from a ZOOM H4N hand held 4 track recorder (looks like a cone) that I mounted in the female threaded foot. I wouldn't dare hoist the lens up with my left hand by that cone shaped handle, but with the assistance of my right hand under the lens and left on the vertical handle it made it fairly easy to hand maneuver and obtain birding photos.

Here's a few all handheld on IS Mode 1 of 3, Manual, AF, faithful mode at 1/500, F4.5 or 6.3 with Auto ISO which averaged at 1000 across these 3 photos. The AF was on Expansion or Zone AF with AI Servo enabled.

Golden-crowned-Sparrow (11453) by Revup67, on Flickr

Northern Mockingbird (11466) by Revup67, on Flickr

House Finch (female) 11469 by Revup67, on Flickr

Upvote 0
revup67 said:
Got this lens on loan from CPS - day 1 1st impressions: after you get used to the massive and awkwardness of this lens, its most impressive. I opted to lug it around without anything other than the camera strap and the lens strap. I had a 3/8" threaded handle from a ZOOM H4N hand held 4 track recorder (looks like a cone) that I mounted in the female threaded foot. I wouldn't dare hoist the lens up with my left hand by that cone shaped handle, but with the assistance of my right hand under the lens and left on the vertical handle it made it fairly easy to hand maneuver and obtain birding photos.

Here's a few all handheld on IS Mode 1 of 3, Manual, AF, faithful mode at 1/500, F4.5 or 6.3 with Auto ISO which averaged at 1000 across these 3 photos. The AF was on Expansion or Zone AF with AI Servo enabled.

Golden-crowned-Sparrow (11453) by Revup67, on Flickr

Northern Mockingbird (11466) by Revup67, on Flickr

House Finch (female) 11469 by Revup67, on Flickr

Very impressive. So sharp with nice detail and great bokeh.

Upvote 0