Canon EOS-1D X Mark III field testing has begun [CR2]

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
I'm sorry but I disagree. I think on the R the technology is already 100% mature. I just think their problem is timing:

What if they sold the EOS-1 model now? Little uptake because 1) few lenses and 2) people are just conservative and institutions often plan these purchases a year or so ahead of time. So no or low sales.

Then when a lot of lenses are available, and the camera's been on the market for a year or two... now it's no longer a new camera, and Nikon/Sony come out with a pro body... so again no or low sales.

Instead, by releasing several models at the beginning, just as they did with the EOS 650 and 620 in 1987, they're mostly killing time while they build up the lens line, and letting just enough "bleeding edge" adapters start using the new tech to get the market familiar with it. THEN, in 2020 or whenever, they can release the pro R, and people will know the concept well enough from the early-adopters, and there will be be 10-15 native lenses plus all the adapted optics to choose from.
You could be right.
We shall see.
But I do believe they are still working things out as they did with the 650 and 620 models.

Reactions: GMCPhotographics

HarryFilm

EOS RP
Jun 6, 2016
Harry... :rolleyes: The aliens disable advanced cameras with EMP weapons that they shared with Sasquatch. Your only hope is to use primitive technology. 1980s style camcorder or 8mm film.
---

My dad has an old Bolex-style film camera AND some still usable Regular-8 and Super-8 film...I may have to give those a whirl. We'll See! I more worried if Sasquatch is actually a MACHINE -- an autonomous furry Terminator robots sent by the Alien to rip our arms and heads off if we get too close! You can watch all the Youtube "National Parks 411" reports about people MYSTERIOUSLY disappearing from U.S. and Canadian wilderness areas and sometimes being found completely dismembered as if ripped apart by a POWERFUL and GIANT bi-pedal or other monsterous being!

There's LOTS of stories out there! Take a Look on Youtube and various websites!

HarryFilm

EOS RP
Jun 6, 2016
problem with saquatch and ufo photographing is those thingies can see to future. All they need do to avoid getting photographed is choosing path what doesnt lead to getting photographed. Some lucky peoples may get photoes from drunken sasquatch but so rare thing ,its usually amateur photographer with crappy equipemnts.
===

Haven't you watched Finding Bigfoot or those crazy Mountain Men BigFoot Hunters TV shows? They actually found some Moonshiners in the US deep south who had their local "Skunk Ape" eating all the Sourmash which is one of the byproducts of illegal Moonshine alcohol distilling! Them Sasquatches were gettin' all violent after being Drunk as a Skunk from eatin' that sourmash. They ripped apart trees, destroyed stills and even threatened the moonshiners. Not even .308 rounds stopped them 'Squatches! So YUP! 'Squatches get drunk too!
Don't get'em mad though, cuz they REALLY WILL rip yer arms and head off yer body! AND THEY is strong enough to do it it with their bare hands!

Reactions: Pape

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
So two of the five used only 5D variants. The other three all used C300 variants. One of those three also used a 1D X Mark II, but the C300 Mark II is listed first, so probably the primary camera. Not exactly an "overwhelming" argument that "all the cinematographers" buy the 1D X variants for video. I don't spend much time on YouTube. I spend more time looking at still images at Magnum, LensCulture, etc. I'm a stills photographer.

Reactions: CanonFanBoy

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
I sold my EOS-1Ds MkIII, EF 24-105/4LIS, EF 50/1.2L, and EOS M+kit zoom, for the R+RF24-105/4LIS. The AF **and** MF aids are so good I think the R utterly blows away all the SLRs, even the next SLR whatever it is. The R can focus **PERFECTLY** while the SLR's simply can't. And because the SLR's can't, they can't even make use of 30MP much less 50+. Maybe on tripod at f/8 but handheld? Wide-open? Fast action? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha forget it.
I have no idea where you're getting this. My 5Ds focuses perfectly with a number of lenses. Hand held, wide open, fast action.

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
I don't know how you shoot, so I don't know how your 1DX II works under the conditions you need to shoot, but I've got a 10-frame burst of my 5-year-old son running towards me from like 7 to 1 meter, with the RF50/1.2 WIDE OPEN, and every shot is sharp enough to count his eyelashes. He's not even centered, he's all over the frames, but face-tracking followed him.
Mirrorless cameras have better AI subject acquisition and tracking. DSLRs have better point acquisition and tracking. An R can face track a child wandering around the frame at 3-5 fps. A 1DX II can track a sprinter approaching the photographer at 14 fps, but you have to keep an AF point on him.

Pape

EOS 80D
Dec 31, 2018
Now i got how it goes,, :p
Canon doesnt need new sensor for 1dx3 ,they got it finished already years .
26mpixel 6d2 sensor without programmed brakes and bang they got 14,5 DR canon sensor.
Why develope 2 different sensor when they can use just one and nerf it for cheaper cameras :)

Last edited:

SwissFrank

EOS 80D
Dec 9, 2018
My 5Ds focuses perfectly with a number of lenses.
You only think that because you haven't used a mirrorless for a couple months.

Basically, your AF is primitive, and you've taught yourself to only demand from it the few things it can actually do. So it works? No surprise, but only because you're limiting what you ask of it.

Reactions: Michael Clark

SwissFrank

EOS 80D
Dec 9, 2018
But I do believe they are still working things out as they did with the 650 and 620 models.
What were they working out with those models? I just read a review of them that said everything on them works fine. I don't think Canon was debugging its system. It just didn't see a point in releasing a pro body when there were only 4-5 lenses it could use, and which body would then be out of date by the time there were over a dozen. Then as now: take a year or two to build up the lens system, and let the pro market start penciling in a purchase of the forthcoming model when they see your commitment. THEN release the pro model. It worked before. I don't see why it won't keep working.

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
What were they working out with those models? I just read a review of them that said everything on them works fine. I don't think Canon was debugging its system. It just didn't see a point in releasing a pro body when there were only 4-5 lenses it could use, and which body would then be out of date by the time there were over a dozen. Then as now: take a year or two to build up the lens system, and let the pro market start penciling in a purchase of the forthcoming model when they see your commitment. THEN release the pro model. It worked before. I don't see why it won't keep working.
First they are not going to tell you or anyone anything.
Then why were cameras like the 650 and 620 introduced prior to the 1?
They are definitely looking at these cameras in the real world.
Why did the bar disappear from the back of the RP?
We don't know why.
Think outside the box, if you have a brand new untried product and you have a reputation for superior designed products would you not start out with features in a simpler camera and see how they work on a small scale?
I sure would. Regardless of the pixel peeper and Sony bells and whistles yet crappy UI crowd complaints.
Over decades of watching Canon they make a solid product generally. The original Canon R cameras were dogs and they learned a lot. Also the T80 was a dog but Canon saw that in lens AF motor was far superior to the little screwy thingy others went with and they then thought why not a compete electrical interface even if it pisses off some users. Their pro base was small but they knew the EOS was so superior that it would destroy Nikon in the pro market and they did.
No they just make good solid useful tools and not cell phones with interchangeable lenses.

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
I got my first mirrorless ILC in 2013.

Basically, your AF is primitive, and you've taught yourself to only demand from it the few things it can actually do. So it works? No surprise, but only because you're limiting what you ask of it.
Take your R and track a sprinter at 8 fps. Ohhh...wait...well, try 5 fps with tracking priority. Oh...darn...I guess your AF is primitive and it only works because you limit what you ask of it. :rolleyes:

djack41

EOS 80D
Jul 12, 2014
What camera are you using to track birds in flight and what is its refresh rate?
I have been using a 1DX2 for BIF. I recently acquired a Sony A9 and have been amazed at the accuracy of the AF and ease of tracking BIF with the EV. Refresh rate is stellar. A Sony 400mm F2.8 will be my next addition.

Reactions: kaihp

SwissFrank

EOS 80D
Dec 9, 2018
Take your R and track a sprinter at 8 fps. Ohhh...wait...well, try 5 fps with tracking priority. Oh...darn...I guess your AF is primitive and it only works because you limit what you ask of it.
You seem to be confused between the power of the AF and the exposure speed. I'll agree that the exposure frequency is primitive. I have no problem admitting the shortcomings of my camera. Why are you unable to admit the utterly obvious about yours, other than perhaps simply not knowing the R well enough to know what it can do?

Trey T

EOS T7i
Feb 6, 2019
Interesting, knowing how aggressively Canon has gone to RF mount.
the 1D group is different. Of every 1,000 wedding photog w/ 5D, there's only like 10 sport/wildlife photog w/ 1D. Their work demand is much different... it's precisely a career vs something like fly-by-night photography.

AlanF

5DSR
Aug 16, 2012
I have been using a 1DX2 for BIF. I recently acquired a Sony A9 and have been amazed at the accuracy of the AF and ease of tracking BIF with the EV. Refresh rate is stellar. A Sony 400mm F2.8 will be my next addition.
The A9 has a very good reputation for AF and refresh rate, and I would like to see a Canon rival to it.

Reactions: kaihp
Feb 25, 2019
??? If you didn't buy it, what makes you think it's poor?

I don't know how you shoot, so I don't know how your 1DX II works under the conditions you need to shoot, but I've got a 10-frame burst of my 5-year-old son running towards me from like 7 to 1 meter, with the RF50/1.2 WIDE OPEN, and every shot is sharp enough to count his eyelashes. He's not even centered, he's all over the frames, but face-tracking followed him. This is one-hand shooting. Select face-track with the touch bar. Center the focus point with the garbage can button. Put over his face and tell him to run to me. 10/10 perfect shots. My EOS-1Ds MkIII certainly couldn't have done that.

For manual focus, the focus-peaking or magnifier in the viewfinder are both great. Again, the 1Ds MkIII could only do mag if I didn't use the viewfinder, and it didn't have peaking.
Canon organizes presentations. And there I could test the R .
I had the idea to buy a lighter camera. But after testing, I decided to keep the 1DX II, even if it's heavier. The disadvantages of R are too big. It takes far too long to focus and take a picture. And for that you need two hands. My left hand is always on the lens. I often have groups and not just one person.
In general, taking pictures with the R felt very slow. You feel insecure, also because you can not hear the camera took a picture or not.
So I prefer to stay with my 1DX II and see if Canon develops a better mirrorless.

Reactions: tron

SwissFrank

EOS 80D
Dec 9, 2018
Canon organizes presentations. And there I could test the R .
I had the idea to buy a lighter camera. But after testing, I decided to keep the 1DX II, even if it's heavier. The disadvantages of R are too big. It takes far too long to focus and take a picture. And for that you need two hands. My left hand is always on the lens. I often have groups and not just one person.
In general, taking pictures with the R felt very slow. You feel insecure, also because you can not hear the camera took a picture or not.
So I prefer to stay with my 1DX II and see if Canon develops a better mirrorless.
I cannot imagine that a presentation is going to be long enough to figure out how to use the camera.

It certainly focuses extremely quickly once you learn how it works.

You can certainly run the entire camera with the right hand. If you want two hands, you can use the left for support as usual, as well as zoom, focus, and if you want, adjusting the control ring (I have it set for aperture in A P and F modes).

My recommendation is to use the touch bar for AF mode, and the right-hand part of the touch screen in relative mode to move focus point. If you haven't tried that mode, long enough to get used to it, you wouldn't know enough to make a decision.

Aug 22, 2010
Uk
www.GMCPhotographics.co.uk

What a load of twaddle....I regularly use a 85 f1.2 IIL and a 400mm f2.8 LIS....trust me when I say that the AF system in a 5DIII/4 or 1Dx/II far exceeds the continuous AF capability found in the Eos R or Rp...it's not even close. Sure the dual pixel AF is more accurate for static subjects...but for motion and action the current DSLR AF system blows away mirror-less's AF...no competition. Maybe for YOUR needs you are finding the Rf system's AF adequate. But it's far from a global solution or replacement.
Honestly...this Rf will take over the world cr*p is getting juvenile.

Reactions: AaronT and briangus