Canon PowerShot G1 X II Final Specifications

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
tmb said:
Hopefully:
- the EVF is compatible with the EOS-M
- better battery life
- and improved focus speed (phase detect or dual pixel)

The real news here is the modular EVF, isn't it? Isn't this a first for Canon? Discuss!

EOS-M desperately needs a viewfinder (and more native EF-M glass) for the enthusiast mirrorless crowd to take it seriously. I am assuming that this wouldn't be compatible with the EOS-M as the sensor is not the same, the FOV is not the same, etc. But what do you folks think?

Is the EVF literally just a cloning of whatever the LCD shows, or will it add 'eyepiece logical' tools like focus peaking, live histograms, etc.?

- A

Upvote 0
Lee Jay said:
I'm always amazed that people care about how a camera looks. It doesn't take pictures of itself.

I always find this comment interesting. Why should this bother anyone to the point of a snarky comment? It seems to me that photographers are more visually in tune with their world and more likely to appreciate beautiful design. I know I feel better owning and using something that feels beautiful to me. That's not to say I wouldn't purchase a DSLR disguised as a pile of poo if Canon put an EXMOR sensor in it...but I digress. I don't think I'm going out on a limb to suggest that one reason people pay a premium for RRS and Apple products is their design.

Upvote 0
tmb said:
116mm & 553/516g - my EOS-M/22mm is 410g (incl battery&card) and a tick smaller. Promising quality of the body.

Hopefully:
- the EVF is compatible with the EOS-M
- better battery life
- and improved focus speed (phase detect or dual pixel)

What a dream if the lens would be removable........although I doubt.

answers :
- no (on the g1x picture, you can see a sort of com port near the hotshoe)
- not really (leaked catalog indicates 240 and 300 pictures with NB12-L when eos m says 230 shots
- no dual pixel so far, but i really hope a fast AF too!!

Why do you want the lens to be removable?? it's not the purpose of the G series.
hmmm.... in fact, you dream about a more enthusiast eos M, right?

Upvote 0
Love the lens on this thing. The zoom range and speed hit a sweet spot for me. Very curious about sensor quality. I've lost all faith in Canon's sensor tech. If its dynamic range ends up the same as it's been over the last five years that's probably a deal killer. I'd rather wait for Sony to add non-lossy RAW to the A7r and pair that with the upcoming Novoflex EOS adapter. It's a bigger, more expensive solution but the IQ is potentially far superior.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
Ugly camera - not because its "look" - but because it looks a huge step backward in usability compared to the G1X. No dials and a touch screen? C'mon! I was looking for something smaller and lighter than my 5D to carry around every day - I was about to get a G1X but waited when the M was announced - then the M was almost a joke and hoped something better with a true viewefinder (EVF, OVF, EVF+OVF...) would come, now this one that looks like a Powershot S? No way to spend something alike 700+ on something like this. Maybe I'll get a bargain G1X, or somthing better - but it looks it won't be from Canon unless they surprise me with a far better M model.

Upvote 0
Well maybe Canon is repositioning the G1X brand to compete with the RX100 II. The new design and control logic seems to be leaning towards that direction. I don't mind losing the top dial if the functionality is transferred to the second lens barrel ring - this would make it faster especially if you're looking thru the EVF or the screen. But 12 or 13 megapixels is too small for me as I like to isolate and crop details. This should have been 18 megs at least. Better DR would be welcome. Better implementation of HDR and pano would also be welcome. NFC is definitely for sharing pics. Wi-Fi is cool too. That optional grip does not look cool. Lensmate has an opportunity here. Can't wait to see sample pics to compare. The G1X.2 might seem like a step back, but then maybe Canon has something else brewing that's meant to duke it with the retro-mods (X100S, OM-DE-M-what?, Nikon Df, etc.). More waiting...

Upvote 0
The Mk2 is more consequent in its features.
I didnt like the optical viewfinder because it was too small. A halfway solution, and made it bulky.
No increasing number of pixels, another good point.
How does it look?
Absolutely dont care.
I own a Sony RX100; I like its small size and superb IQ.
The 1GX offers more, so it is bigger.

@ flash: hm. When I use all this extra gear it makes no difference if I carry my 1 or 5D.

Price: $ 600 in a few months will be the fair price for it.

Thanks for reading!

Upvote 0
Lee Jay said:
I'm always amazed that people care about how a camera looks. It doesn't take pictures of itself.

I could see an ugly man, robot, or senior citizen not caring about how his camera looks, but I'm sure any young, good looking, senstive man wants his camera to be as sexy as he is. lol

How good a product looks plays a big role in what most people buy. I'm no different and expect my camera and lenses to pretty sexy and modern looking. Not becuase I think other people will have any sort of appreciation for the contraption in my hand, but becuase I have an eye and appreciate beauty, so natually I buy stuff I am attracted too.

I am amazed there are people who either have no visual attraction to what they spend their money on, or spend their money on things they are not visually attracted to. lol

Upvote 0
LDS said:
Ugly camera - not because its "look" - but because it looks a huge step backward in usability compared to the G1X. No dials and a touch screen? C'mon!

Never used a touched screen or what? EOS M has no dials at all and it's quite slick to use. This appears to have TWO control rings in ADDITION. I do like the knobs and dials on the original G1X, but I'm sure this one will be PLENTY useable.

Upvote 0