Do You Wish Lightroom Was Quicker? Adobe Does Too

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
According to Adobe, they are putting a priority on speeding up the the performance of Lightroom. The sluggish performance for some people using Lightroom has been a consistent concern for quite some time now.</p>
<p><strong>Adobe on Lightroom Performance:</strong></p>

<blockquote><p>I would like to address concerns recently voiced by our community of customers around Lightroom performance, as improving performance is our current top priority. We have a history, starting with our first public beta, of working with our customers to address workflow and feature needs, and we’d like to take that same approach regarding your performance concerns. We already understand many of the current pain points around GPU, import performance, certain editing tasks and review workflows and are investing heavily in improving those areas.  Over the past year we’ve added numerous enhancements to address your performance concerns but we understand we will have a lot of work to do to meet your expectations.   If you have feedback or would like to work with the Lightroom team on your most pressing issues, please <a href="https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/LrDesktop_performance" target="_blank" rel="noopener">fill out this survey</a>.</p></blockquote>
<p>Adobe has apparently heard its customers and everyone should continue sending in concerns about Lightroom’s performance issues.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>
<div style="font-size:0px;height:0px;line-height:0px;margin:0;padding:0;clear:both"></div>

I can't stand how long it takes to edit photos. They need an interface that lets you quickly cull images like photo mechanic. I shoot thousands of sports images and I'm so glad I found photo mechanic for the initial culling. It is blazing fast. With that said, I would much rather have this ability in one program so I don't have to then transfer what's left over to Lightroom for editing. Once there of course, the editing really slows things down. I hope you fix it soon or I'll be looking elsewhere. I sometimes have to edit and send things at halftime to my media outlet during a game which only provides a few minutes to cull and edit.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Not sure this is the place to post. Adobe sites!

I gave up years ago using LR for initial review and culling. DPP is still warp factors faster for that.

For edits, I don't have much to compare to except PS and plug-ins. PS is super quick. Plug-ins are a bit sluggish compared to LR.

We'll see if this is just empty hype or sincere. Within a decade. :p

Upvote 0
This is why I’m still holding on to Aperture with one hand on Capture One. Aperture (which is seven years old) still runs faster than any software I have tried and more intuitive to boot. I wonder why they can’t use the same architecture?

I know I can’t hold on to Aperture forever, (the Mk4 raws don’t work with it) but I will hold on till the end, and/or till some miracle happens, i.e. Lightroom has an overhaul, or Photos gets a Pro Plugin?

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
AvTvM said:
rwvaughn said:
The catalog system is bloated and a resource hog.

exactly! that database stuff needs to go. OS could take care of metadata and keywords directly.

Metadata and keywords are instrumental to the database.
And if the metadata and keywords are in the OS, how would you transfer things between machines?

Upvote 0
My biggest wish for Lightroom as they expand Lightroom mobile(web) to make it a better interface for clients to select which images they want following a shoot.
We need to be able to add a watermark.
We need clients to be able to sort and filter their selections to make it easier for them to whittle down suggestions.
We need them to store the comments made through the web interface actually in the local catalog.
We need to be able to receive clear notifications and sort to see what selections the client has made along with their notes.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I have no issues at all as to speed, but some users seem to have issues, often with home built computers using high end components. I learned the hard way that building my own pc is not only expensive, because I used high end components, but more importantly, the components did not always give good performance with some software where as plain components worked well. ACDSEE is a different story, it struggles to run nearly as fast as lightroom or photoshop using my common Dell XPS PC.

Software can always be improved.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Mikehit said:
AvTvM said:
rwvaughn said:
The catalog system is bloated and a resource hog.

exactly! that database stuff needs to go. OS could take care of metadata and keywords directly.

Metadata and keywords are instrumental to the database.
And if the metadata and keywords are in the OS, how would you transfer things between machines?

For me, metadata belongs right into the header of the respective image file, not into a big fat database. Writing/Reading/Searching metadata in file headers is something every reasonable OS can do .. natively. Quite well and very fast as a matter of fact. I never understood, why Adobe felt the need to duplicate file organization with its weirdo database/catalogue, rather than letting the OS do that job.

I would really love a new, SLIM version of LR ... like DPP in terms of raw converter plus all the local adjustment and editing possibilities of LR. Plus included editor for EXIF/ITPC/keyword data. But without that bloated big fat database. No "importing", no catalogue, no exporting". Simply "open", "edit" and "save / save as [e.g. jpg] ..." - as with any other program/App I care to use.

If Canon DPP had perspective/keystone correction (as in LR) and *local adjustments*, not only global ones - I would say goodbye to Adobe today.

Upvote 0
Saw this on Reddit before CR this morning and filled out the survey. I used to love LR but now I despise using it which is putting a downer on my whole creative experience. I just don't have the motivation to go through even 100 pics one by one when LR Library module is so slow. It takes forever and I can't be bothered using another program to do that. I want to do it all in one place - that's what made LR great to begin with. Now it's just bloated with crap. They should concentrate on Library, Develop and Print modules only and throw out the rest. Seriously considering ditching it but I have over 5 years of catalogs which makes me think twice. It's about time they addressed this issue.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
privatebydesign said:
ethanz said:
Serious question, why not just use Bridge and Photoshop? Its fast and I would assume has almost all the features of Lightroom.

Bridge and ACR combined are more powerful, have more features and are faster than LR.

Like my typical shoot I'm doing some ~100 pic crop in a row, how you do that on Bridge/ACR? Aside from the slow-down, LR is perfect for my use. I wonder if I complained often enough about that so they invited me to the public beta couple weeks ago :)

Upvote 0