EOS-1D X & EOS 5D Mark III Replacements in 2015 [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/06/eos-1d-x-eos-5d-mark-iii-replacements-in-2015-cr1/"></g:plusone></div><div style="float: right; margin:0 0 70px 70px;"><a href="https://twitter.com/share" class="twitter-share-button" data-count="vertical" data-url="http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/06/eos-1d-x-eos-5d-mark-iii-replacements-in-2015-cr1/">Tweet</a></div>
<a href="http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/Canon_1Dx_mk2.html" target="_blank">Northlight has posted a bit of a roadmap</a> for the pro level cameras from Canon. They’ve been told that the EOS-1D X Mark II would come first, with a potential announcement coming in very late 2014. The EOS 5D Mark III would follow afterwards. Both cameras will most likely benefit from the new sensor technology we’ll see in the upcoming EOS 7D replacement.</p>
<p><strong>CR’s Take

</strong>If the technology in the EOS 7D replacement is as great as people are claiming it to be (we don’t yet know what it is), then it would make sense to replace the other flagship models in the lineup fairly quickly. The EOS 5D Mark III was arrived in March of 2012, and the EOS-1D X soon after in June of 2012. A three year cycle for each seems doable, even if the EOS 7D will have taken nearly 5 years to replace.<strong>

</strong></p>
<p><strong>Source: [<a href="http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/Canon_1Dx_mk2.html" target="_blank">NL</a>]</strong></p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

jdramirez said:
Huh... I was hoping to have more time before being tempted by an mkiv. I'll have gotten two years out of the body before it was old news... though I'm now wondering about residual resale value... maybe I just won't think about it.

My thoughts exactly, but when has anything come out when we hoped for it? So if the mkIV comes out at the end of 2015, then most people will have gotten 3+ years out of the mkIII which is about what we would hope for if one wants to stay with the most current technology.

Better than waiting 5+ years for minor upgrades in sensor IQ; if indeed it is a major upgrade.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
KKCFamilyman said:
Makes me wonder if I should return my 1dx and wait since I have the time.

Couple things to consider. It's CR1. If this rumor is true, we looking at least 1yr or more before we get to hand on X2.

We both bought the X at discount price. We might lose $500-$700 when ready to upgrade. It still cheaper than rent. I'm keeping mine until I see real thing ;)

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
Don Haines said:
If this is true, and Canon feels that this "new technology" about to be debuted in the 7D2 is so good that the rest of the lineup must have it, it must be something big!

That is quite optimistic.

Launch price for the mkiii was 3500... so I suppose $4000 seems like a reasonable bump up in price... with the 1dx's selling at $5000... it really raises the question of whether a 1dx for an extra grand is worth it more than a new mkiv. Interesting question.

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
I think its too soon for 5D3 refresh but this would be my list for me to buy a 5d4.

Stills Side

1. Blinky AF point
2. Linked AF point Spot Metering
3. 1/250th Sync speed bump. (1/500 would be even more sweet)
4. Built in RT transmitter
5. 7 FPS bump and improved buffer for dual card writing. (pitiful if you use the SD card slot currently.)
6. Dual CF or SD, just pick one or the other.
7. Add dual custom buttons like the 1Dx besides the lens mount.
8??. Did anyone notice the second curtain sync C-fn through PC sync missing in the mk3? I was positive this was on my 5Dc or the 5D2...
9. Make the Rate button do something else beside's rate and protect. :/
10. Slight screen bump in resolution/size and/or Touchscreen with optional toggle.
11. Lastly, Any ISO/IQ/Resolution bump is nice but these other features are much more important to me.

Video side.

1. DPAF
2. 4K
3. RAW Video Internally (if possible, Magic lantern will get it anyway.)
4. Peaking
5. Crop Mode 1080P

Thats all I could think of at this moment. Its mostly little stuff and if canon doesn't include the majority of these things, I won't upgrade.

Edit.

12. I would like glowing buttons like on the D4s.

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
This is all pretty plausible, given the times since announcement for all three camera (1DX, 5DIII, 7D). I wonder if they'll do a "development" announcement at some point if the 7D replacement performs significantly better per unit of sensor area than the two higher-end full-frame cameras do.

I'll tell you this, if it is true, I'll probably buy a 7DII and a 5DIV (or whatever they're called). I haven't upgraded bodies in about a decade, so this would be a good time for me, most likely.

Upvote 0
RLPhoto said:
I think its too soon for 5D3 refresh but this would be my list for me to buy a 5d4.

Stills Side

1. Blinky AF point
5. 7 FPS bump and improved buffer for dual card writing. (pitiful if you use the SD card slot currently.)
8??. Did anyone notice the second curtain sync C-fn through PC sync missing in the mk3? I was positive this was on my 5Dc or the 5D2...
10. Slight screen bump in resolution/size and/or Touchscreen with optional toggle.
11. Lastly, Any ISO/IQ/Resolution bump is nice but these other features are much more important to me.

Video side.

1. DPAF
2. 4K
4. Peaking
5. Crop Mode 1080P

Thats all I could think of at this moment. Its mostly little stuff and if canon doesn't include the majority of these things, I won't upgrade.

Edit.

+1 ... nice list, although I like having 1 CF, 1 SD slot . I have a high speed CF, and I use an Eye-fi in the SD slot to transfer Medium sized JPGs

Upvote 0
KKCFamilyman said:
Makes me wonder if I should return my 1dx and wait since I have the time.

Don't return an awesome camera over a rumour!

There will always be better cameras on the horizon. Waiting only makes sense when it's so obviosly around the corner, that camera shops aren't even stocking it anymore (which is the case with the 7D, here in Japan).

Upvote 0
RLPhoto said:

Stills Side

1. Blinky AF point

Video side.

1. DPAF
2. 4K
4. Peaking
5. Crop Mode 1080P

Edit.

You are only going to get that on their flagship model! Be reasonable! All that would make the 1DX obsolete!

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
Austin said:
RLPhoto said:

Stills Side

1. Blinky AF point

Video side.

1. DPAF
2. 4K
4. Peaking
5. Crop Mode 1080P

Edit.

You are only going to get that on their flagship model! Be reasonable! All that would make the 1DX obsolete!
Well, canon will then have to be reasonable for not getting my money. Which I'm sure they won't mind and I wouldn't either. ;D

Upvote 0

adamfilip

Canadian with 5DM3
Jun 23, 2011
Ontario, Canada
13. RAW HDR
14. RAW Multiple Exposure
15. Illuminated buttons (all of them, for working in dark)
16. 4K Video @ 60fps
17. 1080P video @ 240 fps
18. Special Macro optimized Focus mode..
19. better shutter button texture / feel
20. Simplifed WIFI setup / Easier Faster
21. 40+MP

RLPhoto said:
1. Blinky AF point

Upvote 0
I would be most interested in:
1) Removal of low-ISO banding
2) Improved high ISO performance
3) Greater DR

Even an improvement of 1/2 a stop in terms of ISO noise performance is pretty significant - it can be the difference between an unusable and usable image. ISO 12800 is still usable in many circumstances (ISO 25600 only with super aggressive).

Other sensors have improved noise characteristics compared to the 5D3 in some respects, so clearly this is possible.

The usability issues are pretty minor for me.

Upvote 0