Firmware: EOS 5D Mark III Version 1.3.3

I'm concerned about what Canon are doing in the background with this f/w "upgrade", what they aren't saying. Alarms for me include the fact that it's something you can't unroll, once this is in, that's it. No going back.

I also read somewhere that they are taking a hard line with third party batteries - has anyone spotted anything weird with using them after this update has been applied? I have six batteries and three of them are (good quality) third party units from Calumet and Hahnel. I don't want them mucking around with what battery I choose to put in my camera.

Upvote 0

DominoDude

Certified photon catcher
Feb 7, 2013
::1
AcutancePhotography said:
infared said:
The Canon website says the firmware file specifically will be 18.94MB.

Does the firmware totally replace the previous firmware or is this 19mb just an update? That's a lot of data

I never realized these firmware files were so big.

Just checked my old FW-files here for the 7D and the 50D: The zip-files are a bit over 18MB and 11MB respectively. So, 19MB doesn't sound too much for a 5D.

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
AcutancePhotography said:
infared said:
The Canon website says the firmware file specifically will be 18.94MB.

Does the firmware totally replace the previous firmware or is this 19mb just an update? That's a lot of data

I never realized these firmware files were so big.

That is what their website and my computer say for the file size.
Replacing or updating the firmware...I have no idea....it just changes to the new version.

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
parkylondon said:
I'm concerned about what Canon are doing in the background with this f/w "upgrade", what they aren't saying. Alarms for me include the fact that it's something you can't unroll, once this is in, that's it. No going back.

I also read somewhere that they are taking a hard line with third party batteries - has anyone spotted anything weird with using them after this update has been applied? I have six batteries and three of them are (good quality) third party units from Calumet and Hahnel. I don't want them mucking around with what battery I choose to put in my camera.
Just checked with the new firmware installed on my 5D III.
I have 3rd-party batteries and they work fine. I get the same message that I always got... "! Cannot Communicate with this battery. Use this battery?" . ...to which I reply OK and the battery then operates the camera perfectly but I do not get read out of the charge on the battery..that is the only downside but that is the way my 3rd-party batteries have always operated with my camera.

Upvote 0

WIDEnet

Where does this go? Oh, that's where.
Jan 23, 2015
Mitch.Conner said:
I've been Rick Rolled!!!

Yep...gotcha.

parkylondon said:
Alarms for me include the fact that it's something you can't unroll, once this is in, that's it. No going back.

Not true, it reportedly works just fine if you downgrade through connecting your camera to your computer and using EOS Utility. See this post on the ML forum (where they first discovered the new FW) for more details. But it is suspicious that they block the "normal" way.

Upvote 0
llocq said:
How about bringing a Second Curtain setting back into the body and not a Speedlight only setting...Thats all I want...That can be fixed via firmware upgrade right?

+1 to this. No idea why Canon won't let us make that decision. Sell more flashes maybe? I have one Canon flash (600EXRT) and three YongNuo 460's... I'll never buy another canon flash. The second market ones are so good.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
llocq said:
How about bringing a Second Curtain setting back into the body and not a Speedlight only setting...Thats all I want...That can be fixed via firmware upgrade right?

What's to fix? 2nd curtain sync can be set with the camera menu... Am I missing something?

As far as I know there is no such setting in the 5DkIII itself....only in speed light 600RT...

Upvote 0
parkylondon said:
llocq said:

+1 to this. No idea why Canon won't let us make that decision. Sell more flashes maybe? I have one Canon flash (600EXRT) and three YongNuo 460's... I'll never buy another canon flash. The second market ones are so good.

I think that will be it, sadly.....which is... :mad: :mad:...

I want to use my third party external flashes without a stupid Speedlight on my camera for that..I know there are some ways around it but...it sucks..+1 on the YongNuo's, just ordered one, will be in my hand in 15 days!!! can't wait ;D

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
llocq said:
neuroanatomist said:
llocq said:

What's to fix? 2nd curtain sync can be set with the camera menu... Am I missing something?

As far as I know there is no such setting in the 5DkIII itself....only in speed light 600RT...

Page 194 of the 5DIII manual disagrees with you...

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
llocq said:
neuroanatomist said:
llocq said:

That's not it...First of page 194 is about flash sync. speed in AV mode which is not what I'm talking about..page 195 though is about Flash Function Settings but it's accessible only with a Speedlight attached...even with the ST-E3 attached you only get a first curtain sync and a high speed sync....it HAS to be a Speedlight...

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
llocq said:
neuroanatomist said:
llocq said:
neuroanatomist said:
llocq said:

That's not it...First of page 194 is about flash sync. speed in AV mode which is not what I'm talking about..page 195 though is about Flash Function Settings but it's accessible only with a Speedlight attached...even with the ST-E3 attached you only get a first curtain sync and a high speed sync....it HAS to be a Speedlight...

I'm a bit confused. Initially, you stated that 2nd curtain sync can't be set on the camera itself, only on the Speedlite. But clearly that's not true, as 2nd curtain can be set in the 5DIII menus for an attached Speedlite. Now, I assume you're talking about 2nd curtain sync for remotely triggered off-camera flashes. It's true that isn't possible with the Canon wireless systems (neither optical nor RT). Note that even with a 600EX-RT in the hotshoe with 2nd curtain enabled, any slave flashes won't fire on the 2nd curtain. But you initially stated 'bring it back to the body'...when was that ever possible? It hasn't been recently, the 580/ST-E2 can't do it, either.

Upvote 0