Firmware: EOS 5D Mark III Version 1.3.3

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p><strong>Firmware Version 1.3.3 incorporates the following improvement and fix.</strong></p>
<p>1. Improves the AF controllability when shooting in Live View mode with a wide-angle lens (fixed focal length or zoom).

2. Corrects some incorrect indications on the “English” and “Russian” menu screens.</p>
<p>Firmware Version 1.3.3 is for cameras with Firmware Version 1.2.3 or earlier. If your camera’s firmware is already Version 1.3.3, it is not necessary to update the firmware.

When updating the firmware of your camera, please first review the instructions thoroughly before downloading.</p>
<p><strong><a href="http://usa.canon.com/cusa/support/professional/professional_cameras/eos_digital_slr_cameras/eos_5d_mark_iii?WT.mc_id=C126149#DriversAndSoftware" target="_blank">Download firmware 1.3.3. at Canon USA</a></strong></p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

Jul 21, 2010
AvTvM said:
And come to think of it: wasn't there also some issue re. AF points lighting up in red in view-finder when active/locked on - in Servo-AF?

Yes, that was a firmware add to the 1D X, and the 7DII has it. But I'm not sure it can be added to the 5DIII. It wasn't there from the start on the 1D X because the AF point illumination for the transmissive LCD affects the metering, which occurs continually in Servo mode. The 'fix' for the 1D X and 7DII is to 'blink' the illumination, but I also suspect that the RGB metering system is altered to ignore or at least minimize input from the red pixels. Since the 5DIII lacks an RGB metering sensor and can't 'drop out' the red channel, maybe they can't get proper metering in Servo.

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2013
"some incorrect indications on the “English” and “Russian” menu screens" is a little vague. That I'm aware of, I haven't been mislead by anything on the menus that I use. It would seem this update adds little value if any to what I do with my cameras so I'll consider not applying it until I sell or what I've sometimes done in the past is make the buyer aware that a new version exists and they are welcome to apply it at their discretion.

Upvote 0

JonAustin

Telecom / IT consultant and semi-pro photographer
Dec 10, 2012
Horseshoe Bay, TX
There's so little reported as part of this firmware update, that I have to wonder what's included that's not reported.

I don't enjoy the nag screen every time I power up my 5DIII after inserting a 3rd-party battery. At least I don't get a nag screen whenever I attach my 3rd-party tripod collar to my 100L macro lens! ;D

I'm just waiting for the "Hey, WTF?" posts if / when someone discovers something sneaky that Canon has slipped into this update. In the meantime, I'll stick with 1.2.3, as well.

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
FYI ...I do not use ML (too afraid :p)...so I updated my 5DMarkIII using a CF card. I use Mac operating system. I downloaded the update and followed the instructions in the instruction file...but Canon has it wrong, (at least to my reckoning). You would think that they could get something this simple right. The instructions say to download the version 1.3.3. I use OS 10.9.5.
The Canon instructions say to check the file size of the downloaded file on your desktop with the specification for the file size on the Canon website. Just so you know...they do not match up. At least they did not on my iMac. The Canon website says the firmware file specifically will be 18.94MB. My firmware update file was 17.99MB. So if you are detail oriented...don't be alarmed...Canon is off by 1MB on the file size. I thought that maybe Canon was referring to the whole download, which includes the instruction file...but that doesn't match up either! LOL! The whole download (firmware and instruction file) is 19.9MB.
So if the actual firmware file that you load on the CF card "5D300133.FIR" is 17.99MB rounded off to 18MB..you are good to go.
If anyone even reads the instructions anyway!!!! LOL! :D

Upvote 0

WIDEnet

Where does this go? Oh, that's where.
Jan 23, 2015
AvTvM said:
duydaniel said:
I was expecting a bit more. No new feature :-\
like what? 14 stops of DR unfortunately seems to be no firmware feature. :p

You would already have that in 1.2.3, assuming you have ML (Dual-ISO) installed...:)

rpt said:
I have ML installed and I am not about to give it up!

Same here; heck, I even made a video about it.

Upvote 0