Firmware update coming to address Canon RF 70-200 focus issues at MFD

Jan 29, 2011
Is no one bothered that the 70-200 mkIII has 1,5 stops of vignetting at 200 and the RF 70-200 has 3 stops?
Not really, I'm much more bothered by the fact that a 70-200 f2.8 now costs $2,699, basically $1,000 more than an EF version, an RF 24-70 f2.8 costs $2,299 up $700 from the EF $1,599, an RF 85 f1.2 costs $2,699 and that is $850 more than the EF version.

Now those RF lenses might be a joy to own, they might focus quicker, they might not have the same aberrations, etc etc but I am not seeing images that are $800-$1,000 'better', indeed in a blind test I doubt anybody other than a few geeks could tell the differences.

These new lenses are designed by computers and manufactured by robots Canon designed and built, they should be cheaper than the EF equivalents not more expensive!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Not really, I'm much more bothered by the fact that a 70-200 f2.8 now costs $2,699, basically $1,000 more than an EF version, an RF 24-70 f2.8 costs $2,299 up $700 from the EF $1,599, an RF 85 f1.2 costs $2,699 and that is $850 more than the EF version.

Now those RF lenses might be a joy to own, they might focus quicker, they might not have the same aberrations, etc etc but I am not seeing images that are $800-$1,000 'better', indeed in a blind test I doubt anybody other than a few geeks could tell the differences.

These new lenses are designed by computers and manufactured by robots Canon designed and built, they should be cheaper than the EF equivalents not more expensive!

It's painful. They always go down, but part of the problem now is Canon is selling less volume than in the past, yet still must sustain production and service.

I hope the high prices don't further strangle the interchangeable lens industry. Maybe Sigma and Tamron will find opportunity, but then that hurts Canon's volume again, so...

You do have a good point about automation, but fewer sales means a larger markup per unit is necessary.

Then there is the harsh reality of inflation:

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
It's painful. They always go down, but part of the problem now is Canon is selling less volume than in the past, yet still must sustain production and service.

I hope the high prices don't further strangle the interchangeable lens industry. Maybe Sigma and Tamron will find opportunity, but then that hurts Canon's volume again, so...

You do have a good point about automation, but fewer sales means a larger markup per unit is necessary.

Then there is the harsh reality of inflation:

The cost has played a large factor in my adopting the R system, I haven't!

If purchasing a mediocre body and three f2.8 zooms is going to cost me over $10,000 I want to see the differences in output and I just don't. That kind of investment puts the R system out of reach of most working pros, that is, those that buy their gear with the money it earns them.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0