Flash Mount

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gary W. said:
Hey all,

I have a 430 EX and I REALLY hate the twist lock mount it has. I was thinking, does anyone know if the mount from a 430 EXII can be used as a direct replacement for the hideous mount that I have? Thanks in aadvance for any help you can provide.

Gary W.

I think that's a no. I was thinking the reverse. I like the old fashioned twist mounts better. Much less error prone and probably easier to fix if it fails. The twist lock was on the plus side when I compared the 580EXII to the Metz AF-2. Still ended up going with 580EXII and 430EXII but the new locking mechanisms I still don't like.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
I'm with Gary on this (though I don't feel quite as strongly as 'really hate') - my MT-24EX has the old-style thumwheel to lock the flash, and I find it mildly annoying. I definitely prefer the faster mechanism on my 430EX II's (and on my 600EX-RT which is arriving on a UPS truck this morning!).

Yeah, whenever I use a twist-on shoe tightener-thing, I tend to torque the heck out of it to make sure it's secure. Then it's an adventure getting it off. With a slide-lock mechanism, you know it's secure when the latch clicks.

Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2011
JerryKnight said:
neuroanatomist said:
I'm with Gary on this (though I don't feel quite as strongly as 'really hate') - my MT-24EX has the old-style thumwheel to lock the flash, and I find it mildly annoying. I definitely prefer the faster mechanism on my 430EX II's (and on my 600EX-RT which is arriving on a UPS truck this morning!).

Yeah, whenever I use a twist-on shoe tightener-thing, I tend to torque the heck out of it to make sure it's secure. Then it's an adventure getting it off. With a slide-lock mechanism, you know it's secure when the latch clicks.

Hey all,

That is EXACTLY why I hate the twist lock. I found a site with replacement parts that has the 430 EXII shoe lock and mount. This is what I was considering... http://www.ebay.com/itm/390271762894?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Gary W.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Looks like a straightforward process, just four screws and a quick connect. The question is, are the base plates the same size and shape, such that you can simply swap one for the other. Obviously that's what you're asking, but I suppose it would take someone with both Versions to compare them side by side and see if they are the same. I found a blog about someone tearing down and replacing the hot shoe of the original, and the plates do look similar. So, it might be just a $35 experiment…

Upvote 0

DJL329

EOS R5
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2010
www.flickr.com
neuroanatomist said:
Looks like a straightforward process, just four screws and a quick connect. The question is, are the base plates the same size and shape, such that you can simply swap one for the other. Obviously that's what you're asking, but I suppose it would take someone with both Versions to compare them side by side and see if they are the same. I found a blog about someone tearing down and replacing the hot shoe of the original, and the plates do look similar. So, it might be just a $35 experiment…

Also have to ensure that the pinouts are going to the same location on the connector.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.