Focus speed comparison between 70-200 f4L and 200 f2.8L II

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mattcc

I currently have the 70-200 f/4L (non IS), but I am considering replacing it by another lens with faster focusing speed. Does anyone have experience with both the 70-200 f/4L and the 200 f/2.8L II? How do their focusing speeds compare for moving objects? I'll be using it on a 5d mark ii. I'll be interested in a comparison (of the focusing speeds) with the 70-200 f/2.8L IS II as well. Let's assume that I'll be using the lenses at 200mm, if that is a factor in the comparison.

Mar 25, 2011
There are no focus speed specifications, and focus speed is impacted by not only the subject, but by the amount of light, as well as camera body, and likely other things as well, so careful testing on a range of targets, distances, light levels, and camera bodies would be needed to really get a correct answer.

Until a test method comes along, we only have the feelings and opinions of users, no facts.

I've had both, and never noticed a significant difference, both were fast enough for me.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
TexPhoto said:
I own the 2.8 Mark II, a friend owns the f4 IS. To me the 2.8 feels faster, but not by much. The 2.8 part is critical for night sports. Honestly when It's not my primary lens, I wish I had the f4. I even traded my buddy for a week when I went traveling.

His take on the 2.8 II: Wow it's awesome. Wow it's heavy.

+1

Exactly my feeling. I bought one and returned it. Then a year later, I bought a refurb at the 15% off price thinkiing maybe it wasn't as heavy as I thought. Returned it as well, I've been hooked on primes.

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

Tijn said:
At least some people in this thread have misread the second lens in this comparison, the prime "200 f/2.8L II", as the zoom 70-200 f/2.8L II.

That wasn't the question, of course. :)
Glad you raised that I couldn't work out why someone would think the 200 f/2.8 was heavy. The 200f/2.8 isn't as fast as the 135 f/2 or the 400 f/2.8 but it is no slouch either

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.