Here’s the full list of gear Canon will announce on September 5

Apr 23, 2018
Credit where credit is due, you were entirely correct in your count of 4 lenses.

thx. I know, i can count to 3. :p

Are you sure, that
“M.ADAP R” “M.ADAP R ND” “M.ADAP R PL”

does not stand for M.[ount] ADAP[ter] R" for EF lenses? To mount EF glass on R mount? 3 versions, one basic and 2 with built-in filters, because the hollow extension tube has enough space to put a filter in? The "PL" version may have some "knob on the outside" to rotate circ. pol. filter ... it would allow adding ND or Circ.Pol for any EF-lens (!), irrespective of front lens diameter?

Those adapters could possibly have 3 functions then
* mount adapter to make up for shorter flange distance
* filter option, especially for large front element lenses or lenses like TS/UWW without filter thread/bulbous front element bulbous it would be really nice and cut into a lot of 3rd party filter/holder makers sales ;-)
* lens foot [like EF-M/EF adapter), but with Arca-groves milled in

:)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

kirbic

CR Pro
Jun 20, 2016
I think Canon introduced the "R" to make all people interested Reasoning about what the hell drove Canon to decide for an R. Causes a lot of stiR and fills thReads like this one. So it is all about maRketing.

Well, my first thought was, if they are calling it "Arrrr" then why not announce it on September 19?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
The question begs...will you buy a new body to get the glass you desire if this one checks all the boxes?

Not really in the market this cycle. In my head, my next camera is probably a high res rig as I want to do more landscape work.

So I somewhat thought he 5DS 2 vs. 5D5 would be my next rig decision. But as I've said many times, I don't regularly bump into the limits of my 5D3 that often, and that's more a reflection of my not pushing myself to shoot more often. But hell, I had a shoot recently were considerably downsized ISO 16000 output actually panned out all right to serve a social media need a friend had -- I was shocked. The 5D3 continues to delight me.

Back to your question: does a dream 50 on a new FF platform endear me to it? Absoutely. But it endears me to a lens portfolio and not a body. If that lens is happening, it's not going anywhere if I skip for a 6-series launch body for the 5-series feature set I am accustomed to.

Plus, if I'm honest, we've got some big family developments happening (good things but I shan't share) that may discourage a large spend in the near term.

- A

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Are you sure, that
“M.ADAP R” “M.ADAP R ND” “M.ADAP R PL”

does not stand for M.[ount] ADAP[ter] R" for EF lenses? To mount EF glass on R mount? 3 versions, one basic and 2 with built-in filters, because the hollow extension tube has enough space to put a filter in? The "PL" version may have some "knob on the outside" to rotate circ. pol. filter ... it would allow adding ND or Circ.Pol for any EF-lens (!), irrespective of front lens diameter?
An excellent point, certainly possible. Time will tell...

I absolutely think the EOS R has to take EF lenses, somehow. I also think it’s important for Canon to have a way to mount R lenses on EOS M bodies.

Personally, as I’ve said previously, I’d prefer a thin/small FF MILC. Still not convinced that’s what makes the most sense for Canon from a business standpoint, but we’ll see.

Upvote 0

oXo_se

EOS R5
Aug 2, 2018
Sweden
Can we talk about the mirrorless body naming?

Worried about the initial body just being the EOS R (like EOS M's original body) and it gives us zero tell on future good/better/best segmentation.

For instance, if it comes out, is called EOS R, has spec somewhere between 6D2 and 5D4... what's the next FF mirrorless body going to be called? EOS R2? Wil that be a different spec'd price point or just a sequel?

Curious if they will try this same naming game plan as EOS M (R5 / R50 / R100) when there are so many 'high end' single digit lines (1-series, 5-series, 6-series, etc.) that don't fit into that format well.

- A
I think (hope) that EOS R is a series namn and that there are 2 body (EOS R2 and EOS R6 or R5)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
^^^this!

Had they called it Canon EOS R1 we'd expect "flagship FF mirrorfree camera" ... but, just like EOS M. 1 letter only seems to stand for "first body for a new mirrorfree mount".

EOS R6 would be the clearest delineation for the FF portfolio aficionados: "Hey folks, a mirrorless 6D is coming." And that also would entice us that an R5 and R1 might follow. Easy peasy for we merry Canonites to understand.

But feeding the faithful with a nomenclature system we understand has drawbacks:
  • Version offsets between like-spec'd mirrorless and SLRs get weird. You end up selling a 5D4 with an R5, a 6D2 with an R6 and folks might feel the R5 model is 'behind' without that 'Mark IV' to go with it. (This is petty, I admit)

• It's hard for Canon to re-segment their FF portfolio with such hard orthodoxy of segments. Perhaps they want these mirrorless rigs in a different setup value/price/positioning-wise than SLRs. This could be to creep more people upmarket over time, or possibly because Canon's always wanted to do this with SLRs but couldn't find a way to do it (and now mirrorless is the gateway to do this).
- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
^^^this!

Had they called it Canon EOS R1 we'd expect "flagship FF mirrorfree camera" ... but, just like EOS M. 1 letter only seems to stand for "first body for a new mirrorfree mount".

But, doing is this way -- calling it EOS R like the first EOS M -- is a slick way to say 'we haven't figured out segmentation yet'.

I just thought that Canon's considerable marketing acumen + their combined FF SLR and EOS M segmentation experience would have delivered a clearly delineated segmentation plan and (resulting) naming scheme.

- A

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
You end up selling a 5D4 with an R5, a 6D2 with an R6 and folks might feel the R5 model is 'behind' without that 'Mark IV' to go with it.
Yeah, like the movie from several years ago, The Madness of King George. The movie was about George III (king of England during the American Revolutionary War), but they removed the III from the title lest moviegoers think they missed the first two installments of the trilogy.

Upvote 0
In fact, Canon did that back in the 80s, when they came up with the completely new EF mount that was not compatible with the old mount. It was a risky bet but it worked. Btw our Canon gear never has trouble with lens connection failures, our Nikon gear (serveral cameras) produces quite frequently such errors. The advantage of the Nikon (D)SLR mount is its compatibility with older lenses but that comes with a price. I think, besides the much bigger diameter of the Z mount this could have been another reason why Nikon now pulled the plug.

Well, just because the dice favored you on the first roll does not mean it will favor you on the second toss!

The EF mount works. The lenses work. Why fix something that is not broken?

Nikon, on the other hand, seemingly had good reasons to choose the novel solution.

Upvote 0
Yes, but they are releasing expensive RF lenses and there is only going to be one camera which you can mount them on for at least six months apparently. So Canon must think this Camera is worth a >1k $ lens, else they would have focused on more affordable lenses for this release.

But Canon wants it's new camera system to be successful -- for consumers to buy inot it. Turning a $1,900 expenditure into a $3,000 to $3,500 expenditure will depress sales. The dual mount path conserves past successes while preparing forvfuturevsuccesses. More will buy the camera because they will not need lens that have an R mount.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Yeah, like the movie from several years ago, The Madness of King George. The movie was about George III (king of England during the American Revolutionary War), but they removed the III from the title lest moviegoers think they missed the first two installments of the trilogy.

It seems petty for me to say an R6 and 6D2 can't be sold alongside each other... but in my day job I've seen petty/picky new product development decisions on things from nomenclature, sizing schemes, part numbers blow up into months of bickering debate.

Me: "We should call a meeting and rope everyone in to hammer this [nomenclature / sizing / etc. thing we need] out."

Business: "You are overthinking it, but okay."

Me: "I had that meeting and we have a full-scale war on our hands with 4 different orgs if we do what we planned. Here's what we need to do..."

Happens more often than you think, especially when it's a new platform instead of just a new arm of an existing system, line extension, etc. Everyone and their mother sees the new platform as a chance to re-define it in terms that they've always wanted it to be defined in.

- A

Upvote 0