Horrible experience with Adorama camera

Status
Not open for further replies.
I placed a very large order with Adorama on Wednesday the 29th of May. I had never made a purchase that large and was informed by my bank that I would not be able to transfer the funds until Friday. I received several calls and emails from a sales associate named Israel pressuring me in a rude way to verify information. He called twice on Friday morning and I was unable to answer the phone during the morning. I transferred the money to their account at 2:30 on Friday and immediately returned Israel's phone call. He had left for the weekend. My bank had told me that the money would be in their account no later than Monday. I spoke to Israel and sent him verification of the money order. I spoke to my bank and they told me it would be available no later than 5 PM. I called Adorama at 6:15 Monday and was transferred to a call center who told me that I would be receiving verification of the transfer. They never returned my call. I called several times today Tuesday and sent emails to verify receipt of the money. No one was able to get in touch with the account team until I started getting angry and wanting to talk to managers. They then told me that they had refused the wire transfer because there was no address associated with my account. Instead of taking the time to work things out they simply refused it out of pure laziness. I understand fraud is a big problem but it does not mean that everyone should be treated like a criminal. I then asked them to return the $25 fee for wire transfers. They told me that the bank assessed it and therefore they are not responsible for it.

I have wasted hours on the phone, $25, was treated very rudely and I have delayed receiving my equipment for about a week depending on how fast they return the money and the bank can verify the reverse. I am very dissatisfied as a consumer and I encourage everyone not to choose Adorama especially for larger orders. I'm going with B and H, the only reason I didn't initially is because they were showing backordered at the factory on the 600mm F4 and I had no idea how long it would take to come back in stock (it was back in stock the following day, man am I kicking myself for that decision). I will write back with further updates.

My bank is very cautious about fraud and they explained to me that they would have to raise my transaction limit and it would take some time. My bank has sent me new cards simply because I have made many online purchases in the past which surprised me. Israel suggested the wire transfer as an alternative. I understand the paranoia on the bank and Adorama's part about online fraud. The point is the way that Adorama is going about it is irresponsible and unfair to consumers so make your choice wisely.

Upvote 0
If your intention is to convince me not to do business with Adorama, you have not succeeded. My experience, and that of everyone I know, with them has been excellent. They go out of their way to satisfy customers.

Your transaction seems complicated, and such complications rarely provide a smooth path to satisfaction. You have to expect some inconveniences along the way. I suggest if you want to complain about something, complain about the criminals who prey on credit card accounts, bank accounts, etc. They're the creeps causing trouble for everyone.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
distant.star said:
If your intention is to convince me not to do business with Adorama, you have not succeeded. My experience, and that of everyone I know, with them has been excellent. They go out of their way to satisfy customers.

Your transaction seems complicated, and such complications rarely provide a smooth path to satisfaction. You have to expect some inconveniences along the way. I suggest if you want to complain about something, complain about the criminals who prey on credit card accounts, bank accounts, etc. They're the creeps causing trouble for everyone.

Exactly my thoughts. Even more so, hearing only one side of the story in these cases rarely give objective description what really happened.

Upvote 0

Vivid Color

CR Pro
Dec 7, 2012
To the OP: am I correct in understanding from your description that you placed a high dollar order with Adorama without either knowing your credit card limit or knowing you were over the limit at the time you placed the order and figured you could sort it out later? If that is correct, then I think you need to reconsider where you are placing blame. If my understanding is not correct, then please clarify.

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
They are not my favorite either...I had incredibly rude treatment in their store 20 years ago...it was so rude I never went back.
I did nothing to be treated the way I was but walk in the door. Truly. I just asked if they had a couple of items in stock that I wanted to buy...which I think I did, as I was in NY, doing I job and I needed the items. I kept thinking...Are they really talking to me like this??? Just terse, nasty and rude. Extremely. I hated to give them my money it was so bad. I was bewildered. I left the store upset that people could act like that to a customer and just chalked it up to another NYC experience. This was long before the days of the internet....but every time I saw their name after that, that bad experience just stuck with me.
Now that was a long time ago and it was just those people that were at the counter that day...we move on...I know that most people have good buying experiences there, today.
...I live in NJ and they charge NJ sales tax on all orders, so I also have a financial reason not to buy from them online these days.

You had a bad experience..... use your consumer power and take your business elsewhere. Simple. Let me tell you ...over the last 20 years I have spent many tens of thousands of dollars on photo equipment...THANK YOU for reminding me that Adorama got none of it! Their loss. :)

Upvote 0
Jan 14, 2013
The worst shipping I've seen has come from orders with Adorama. I've paid for next day and it takes them two days just to get an order out the door. And that's with nothing complicated like wire transfers etc....Just plain old plastic and the item(s) in stock.

On the other hand the largest total order I did with Amazon was $31k USD. And it involved a number of different vendors. The very cool thing is that I was designated a "Camera Concierge" by Amazon due to very tight delivery times. And that worked! The bodies, the glass, all the extras down to little details like memory card, batteries etc. Everything showed up within my time frame for testing, rejection if bad, replacement if bad, with replacement shipping overnight. And vendor swaps if necessary to meet the tight time frame.

Could not have been happier.

Upvote 0
infared said:
...I live in NJ and they charge NJ sales tax on all orders, so I also have a financial reason not to buy from them online these days.

You are not going to buy from them because they support your local economy??? Funny how nobody wants to pay tax and yet everyone wants to have their streets paved or to have the police come when they call 911.

As for the big NYC stores, I doubt you will get better service from B and H than Adorama. I called the former many years ago to ask questions about a lens (I was a newbie at the time) and they cut me off because they did not want me tying up the phone asking questions - they said phone calls are just for placing orders. I switched to Adorama and have had no issues since. I should say I use Adorama ONLY when I cannot find it in my own state of Arizona, otherwise I shop local as implied in my initial response.

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
Never had a problem w adorama but then again never wire funds except for international travel. I am surprised that your bank did not have your name and address on the transfer. Perhaps they only had your name??

I wpuld talk to your credit card co (bank?) and offer to prepay them item. Your credit balance will be negative so you won't be above your credit limit. Or you could split the payment acress several cards

Upvote 0
Not to devalue your frustration at all, but wire transfers are very finicky things. The slightest irregularity perceived on the receiving end by the receiving bank and the transfer is refused. The fault was probably not Adorama's, I doubt they have a wire house on site. It was likely the sending bank didn't coordinate properly with the receiving bank, or they would have known that an address was required.

I hope you get your gear soon. Tell us, what did you get? That is the fun stuff!

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I guess this can happen to anyone, but I have to say, I have been an Adorama customer since the 1970s (Back in the day when you had to go to the bank, get a certified check and mail it in) and have always had good experiences.

I've also used B&H, with no complaints there. This does sound like the transaction was a little complicated and keep it mind that the sabbath begins Friday evening, making a transaction on Friday afternoon even more difficult. Sorry you had a bad experience.

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
gary said:
I have to say that I have used both Adorama and B&H and have been completely satisfied with both and would have no hesitation to recommend them. They are much better than my local camera shop who tend to treat me like any idiot, which of course I may be, but I object to being treated like it.

That's funny!!!!!! LOL!

Upvote 0
jhanken said:
Not to devalue your frustration at all, but wire transfers are very finicky things. The slightest irregularity perceived on the receiving end by the receiving bank and the transfer is refused. The fault was probably not Adorama's, I doubt they have a wire house on site. It was likely the sending bank didn't coordinate properly with the receiving bank, or they would have known that an address was required.

I hope you get your gear soon. Tell us, what did you get? That is the fun stuff!

+1
Wire transfers really can be a pain.
I've never had a problem with Adorama...or B&H for that matter

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
MrFotoFool said:
infared said:

You are not going to buy from them because they support your local economy??? Funny how nobody wants to pay tax and yet everyone wants to have their streets paved or to have the police come when they call 911.

Governor Christie would just buy some more cheese burgers with my stipend! :)
(BTW...I pay PLENTY of taxes...i live in NJ ..we are taxed to death here..toll roads, bridges, tunnels, pay beaches, etc..etc..etc...I do not need to be chastised for making a perfectly legal choice to keep more of my hard-earned cash in my pocket..just like Apple or Mitt Romney..It's the USA..I look for loopholes...I take my power back wherever possible!)

Attachments

• christie013013.jpg
    christie013013.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 1,936
Upvote 0
brett b said:
jhanken said:

+1
Wire transfers really can be a pain.
I've never had a problem with Adorama...or B&H for that matter

I decided to take my business elsewhere (B&H). The biggest frustration truthfully was nasty phone calls Friday morning from the sales representative Israel. I told him I would wire on Friday and I get calls which I could not answer at the time saying that the order shouldn't be in if I'm not going to pay for it. Who does that? Then I leave him a message and say the transfer will be completed on Monday and I get the same obnoxious phone calls Monday and he's demanding to see a receipt not just the transfer papers. Then I call up that evening when the money was transferred and I was referred to a foreign call center (not sure where) who can't get in contact with their accounting. I had to call several people who promised return phone calls that never came until I got annoyed and demanded to speak with someone who could tell me where the money was and what had happened. The failure of the transfer was just the icing on the cake. I am fairly ignorant to financial matters but I really don't see how they can refuse a transfer without any attempt to verify information and then refuse to take any responsibility for their actions. I'm getting a 600mm f4, 70-200 f2.8 IS, 1DX and a sizeable amount of less notable purchases.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.