How many people are using the 7DII as their main body?

Nov 18, 2014
I finally upgraded my EOS 40D after using it for about 7 years. I am an amateur and can't justify the cost of the 5DIII, although some of the prices of the grey market units were very tempting.

After reading all of the reviews and as many of the personal experiences with the 7DII, I finally bit the bullet and spent my money. It's been a big learning curve over my 40D, but I couldn't be happier.

I know that most people relegate the 7DII to a sports/action or wildlife camera, but I was wondering if anyone else was using it as their primary general purpose body?

I believe a lot of folks will as it's a great performer ... I have both 7D2 and 5DM3, but find myself using the 7D2 much more often. Granted, I shoot a lot of sports and wildlife, but it performs well with other projects as well.

I've actually considered selling the 5DM3 and buying a second 7D2 for that reason -- doubt I will, but it has crossed my mind - altho briefly ...

Upvote 0
I think the 7D2 would make a great primary body. So would the 70D. I own/owned them both. Now I mostly shoot my 5D3 and the 7D2 when I need more reach, better AF/fps for swimming and action the 5D3 is lacking for.

For me, once I used a Full Frame (5D), I knew that FF would be my primary body for good. I shoot more wide than long so FF is more conducive to what I prefer.

But I used a 40D (four of them in fact!) for over 3 years and I LOVED THAT 40D!! I still think about buying another used 40D to go with the 5D Classic I also still own and used with the 40D all the time back then.

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
Had it come out 2-3 years ago like I initially thought, it WOULD have been my main body. As it is, I wanted better high ISO (for certain applications) and got tired of waiting so moved up to 5D. After that experience it's tough to go back to crop as a main camera for general shooting.

BUT - the 7D2 still will come in handy. Ice skating shows, animals/birds, outdoor concerts (in reach-limited situations), companion to 5D.

Upvote 0

Joey

EOS 7D mkII
Nov 7, 2014
Westcountry, UK
I replaced my ageing 30D with the 7DmkII. Big update, big upgrade, big learning curve but the decision was a no-brainer. Unlike the more affluent denizens here I only afford one body at a time so my 7DmkII is my only camera.

Would I like a second body? Yes but it's out of the question and I can wait to see what happens to the market over the next couple of years. It should be interesting...

I do have a lot of older bodies, but they all have doors in the back and you have to put a roll of flexible film inside to make them work...

Upvote 0

JoFT

I do love photography
Nov 9, 2014
Germany
delightphoto.zenfolio.com
Having bot 5D3 and 7D2 the 5D3 is still the main camera. Especially due to its low light capabilities. Up to ISO 800 @ the 5D3 I see nearly no difference in Image quality. It is still very useful. The 7D2 still has some weaknesses there..

I use the 5DIII even for sport events, where low light is dominating, like a night slalom: http://delightphoto.zenfolio.com/fis-cit_pontresina_15. I shot all images with ISO 6400. I had the 7D2 with me, I wanted to use it but the images shot with the 100-400mm Mk1 had been too soft for my taste...

But I am considering to add a 10-xx mm lens to have the 7D as an universal camera and not to carry too mich stuff with me...

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
By time spent using it, definitely the 7D2. By number of pictures taken, not a chance. I have a time lapse running at work (verification process) and so far it is at about 220,000 frames and will have another 80,000 on it by the time it finishes.... so by number of pictures taken, it's GoPro all the way :)

Upvote 0
JoFT said:
Having bot 5D3 and 7D2 the 5D3 is still the main camera. Especially due to its low light capabilities. Up to ISO 800 @ the 5D3 I see nearly no difference in Image quality. It is still very useful. The 7D2 still has some weaknesses there..

I use the 5DIII even for sport events, where low light is dominating, like a night slalom: http://delightphoto.zenfolio.com/fis-cit_pontresina_15. I shot all images with ISO 6400. I had the 7D2 with me, I wanted to use it but the images shot with the 100-400mm Mk1 had been too soft for my taste...

But I am considering to add a 10-xx mm lens to have the 7D as an universal camera and not to carry too mich stuff with me...

It's a tough call. I have a hard time not using two bodies at events because there's really no substitute for having a up close wide camera and a long reach camera together. (However you make it happen.) Changing lenses standing up in the heat of the moment is really inconvenient and hard on the gear.

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
By time spent using it, definitely the 7D2. By number of pictures taken, not a chance. I have a time lapse running at work (verification process) and so far it is at about 220,000 frames and will have another 80,000 on it by the time it finishes.... so by number of pictures taken, it's GoPro all the way :)

That's cheating Don! ;D In your case, only cat pictures count anyway! (I hope the time lapse comes out good.)

Upvote 0
RustyTheGeek said:
JoFT said:

It's a tough call. I have a hard time not using two bodies at events because there's really no substitute for having a up close wide camera and a long reach camera together. (However you make it happen.) Changing lenses standing up in the heat of the moment is really inconvenient and hard on the gear.

I agree totally with Rusty*** here, as I went to a dual camera bag sometime ago because I missed shots when trying to quickly change a lens and reset the camera -- and the shot disappeared in the dust while my head was down manipulating a lens change and spinning dials. Depending on the situation, 7D2 w/100-4400 and 5DM3 w/70-200 --- or sometimes, 7D2 w/70-200 and 5DM3 w/24-105 I almost never change a lens now during a project.

Upvote 0
monkey44 said:
RustyTheGeek said:
JoFT said:

I agree totally with Rusty*** here, as I went to a dual camera bag sometime ago because I missed shots when trying to quickly change a lens and reset the camera -- and the shot disappeared in the dust while my head was down manipulating a lens change and spinning dials. Depending on the situation, 7D2 w/100-4400 and 5DM3 w/70-200 --- or sometimes, 7D2 w/70-200 and 5DM3 w/24-105 I almost never change a lens now during a project.

Absolutely! Although I have to admit that I still have trouble at many "people" events using a FF and a crop camera because even with the 70-200 on the crop it can sometimes be too long. I just depends on what I'm trying to do. This is where having two full frames is VERY NICE. Large venue sports, air shows, etc is of course where crop is king!

Upvote 0
50D to 7DII and I use it for everything - portrait, sunsets, still life, ..... and cats :)

Ideally I'd like a 6D for my portrait work, and the 7DII for action/arena reach work.
Spendy for the 7DII, probably could have done fine with a 7D, but really love being able to put that AF where I want it.

Camera has it's quirks.. sometime when I first start on a target, (i'm in af single point most of the time) the AF point will switch to where it thinks it should be (and it is usually right) but then it will jump back to where I had it set...
not all the time, but it is an interesting behavior quirk that makes me wonder if I have the settings in an unexpected pattern and we have some firmware bugs.

Unexpected bonus... I know many feel the 24-105L is not a stellar L lens, but I have to say, on the 7DII, it really shines, or at least my copy does. Love the resolution on this camera.

Upvote 0