Images and Information About the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III and EF 70-200mm f/4L IS II

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
ahsanford said:
jeffa4444 said:
Add in the newer IS system from the EF 100-400mm MKII and Canon will lift the lens to match at least the new leader the Sony FE 70-200mm f2.8 G Master.

Isn't the G Master focus by wire? If so, in a magical world where we can bolt any lens on to any system and lenses were free, I'd still stick with my f/2.8L IS II. FBW is simply not for me.

(...and yes, I recognize that my new non-L 50 could very well be Nano USM and therefore FBW. :'()

- A

I think every single native FE is focus by wire.

And, I agree with you. The 70-200 is one of the better Sony fbw lenses. But, like you, I am not a fan of fbw.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
RayValdez360 said:
i dont know why everyone is expecting this kind of lens to be over 2200. it is like a minor update or replacement of the other lens. Not one new feature.

Because the Nikon 70-200 is $2,800 and the Sony is $2,600, and the justification for the price is simply that the market will bear it, since it is a critical lens for many photographers.

There may be mode 3 Image Stabilization (there appears to be in the f/4), which is a big plus. It might actually move me around to buying one sooner rather than later. There's also some non-top line but very important factors, like control of chromatic aberration, corner sharpness, autofocus speed (though the Mk2 is very fast), etc.

Upvote 0
Talys said:
ahsanford said:
jeffa4444 said:
Add in the newer IS system from the EF 100-400mm MKII and Canon will lift the lens to match at least the new leader the Sony FE 70-200mm f2.8 G Master.

Isn't the G Master focus by wire? If so, in a magical world where we can bolt any lens on to any system and lenses were free, I'd still stick with my f/2.8L IS II. FBW is simply not for me.

(...and yes, I recognize that my new non-L 50 could very well be Nano USM and therefore FBW. :'()

- A

I think every single native FE is focus by wire.

And, I agree with you. The 70-200 is one of the better Sony fbw lenses. But, like you, I am not a fan of fbw.

Just to add to this point, Sony also state:

The FE 70–200 mm F2.8 GM OSS deals with the weight of the focus lens by splitting the focus group, which is usually one piece, into two separate focus groups. This distributes the weight. Furthermore, by combining the focus groups with independent actuators and controlling them independently, the lens achieves smoother focusing not only for still images, but for video as well. Splitting the focus group in two also creates a floating structure that makes it possible to effectively correct various aberrations at all subject distances, and thanks to the floating structure, which is capable of fully independent control, you can adjust the position of each lens element one by one to its ideal position in a way that's impossible in a typical floating structure, making it possible to get the most out of the inherent performance of the lenses.

1. Ring drive SSM 2. Linear motor
” [https://www.sony.com/electronics/engineer-interviews-g-master-lenses]

If we see Canon mention any such focus motor split in the announcement, we can be sure that they are optimising for a future full frame mirrorless body. If not, then either
[list type=decimal]
[*]the EF mount does not feature in their long-term plans
[*]Canon (unlike Sony) has no intention to use a contrast detect final AF confirmation routine in one shot AF mode
[/list]

Upvote 0

lexptr

Photograph the nature while it exists...
Aug 8, 2014
So, according to that information, the f4 version is going to be a huge upgrade (at least technically, IQ aside). What we get with f2.8? A color, matching the third version of extenders? +higher price and weaker IS? (3.5 stops vs 4 and they don't tell it will have a new mode). So, what for? Should we expect a much better IQ? Something close to 200-400 wide open? If not - I see it as a way to bump the price without adding a value.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
traveller said:
Canon (unlike Sony) has no intention to use a contrast detect final AF confirmation routine in one shot AF mode

I really doubt that will ever happen. In my opinion, dual pixel autofocus is much better than both non-dedicated, on-sensor PDAF and contrast detect AF.

It's plain faster than both, and as compared to PDAF, it doesn't need to rob rows of pixels from the image. Contrast detect autofocus, at least as far as it goes for current-generation Sony FF mirrorless, is horribly slow and causes hunting, even when it's as bright as bright gets and when your subject is full of sharp contrast to focus on.

lexptr said:
So, according to that information, the f4 version is going to be a huge upgrade (at least technically, IQ aside). What we get with f2.8? A color, matching the third version of extenders? +higher price and weaker IS? (3.5 stops vs 4 and they don't tell it will have a new mode). So, what for? Should we expect a much better IQ? Something close to 200-400 wide open? If not - I see it as a way to bump the price without adding a value.

Maybe wait for the official info :)

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Cory said:
Swap out my 135 2.0 for the 70-200 2.8 III and not get the 85 and 300 that I was going to get?
I could actually save money by buying the new zoom.

You'll never find a zoom that gives you the character of the EF 135mm f/2 L.

I've been shooting with the EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II since 2010. I've gotten tons of great photos with it. I still pull out my EF 135mm f/2 L if I know I can get the shots with only the 135mm focal length. The difference in the smoothness of the bokeh between the two lenses is like night and day, even when the 135/2 is stopped down to f/2.8 or narrower.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
ethanz said:
I remember paying $2,300 or 2,500 when the 70-200 II came out. It would be a win for Canon if they priced it at or below that.

Thanks Fullstop. Amazing how much currencies fluctuate against each other.

When the "II" came out in 2010 the USD would only buy about 90 yen. That dropped to below 80 yen for most of 2011-12. By 2015 it had jumped to 120 yen per USD. That's when the new price of existing Canon lenses really started to drop in the U.S. It's now at about 110 yen per USD but competition from Sigma/Tamron/etc. has kept the U.S. prices around 2015 levels.

In 2010 $2,400 USD (what I paid for my 70-200/2.8 II in August 2010) was worth about 216,000 yen.
Today, in early June 2018 $2,100 USD is worth 230,600 yen. Canon is actually charging more, in yen, for the III at $2,100 USD in June 2018 than they were charging for the II at $2,400 in 2010.

Upvote 0