Lightroom 7 rumor

I have two big issues with LR and they are:
1. Slow import. If I have a lot of pictures to import I use Photo Mechanic which is wonderful. Many pros use this software because of the import speed and ability to add tags that comply with many publisher standards
2. Lack of improvements that are in PS that many photographers are forced to use both LR and PS. We are paying for both so the lack of porting these functions into LR is not a revenue issue for Adobe.

If the post is right about the next version of LR, the update will do little for me and to me it shows that Adobe is not close to their LR customer base. They could solve one of these issues rather easily by buying photo mechanic and integrating it into LR and PS.
Bp

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2010
PRINZMETAL said:
If the post is right about the next version of LR, the update will do little for me and to me it shows that Adobe is not close to their LR customer base.

Why would they do that when they're making record revenue: http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=33492.0

To be clear: I want LR to remain standalone, and to take on some additional PS features; however, they're unlikely to give that priority when the current business model is working for them. My guess is that they may have chosen to leave LR as standalone solely because it serves as a entry point to the CC subscription.

Maybe it's better to hope that Photomechanic adds features to achieve parity with LR, rather than the reverse.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure I care much about this. I'm certainly not interested in a cloud subscription. I am interested mildly in LR7 as a standalone product but I doubt I'll buy it. I do use LR 5.7 but am gradually moving away from it. I have a stable of products that work for me outside Adobe: DxO OpticsPro 11; Affinity Photo; Luminar; ON1 Photo RAW 2017. Overkill, I know, but I rather like fiddling with different products offering different experiences. I'm not a pro and I'm retired so I can diddle around without worrying about workflow efficiency much. Anyway, I do hope they keep LR in standalone but I suspect that Orangutan's suspicion that Adobe's keeping it alive as a come on for the subscription model may not be too far off the mark.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Orangutan said:
To be clear: I want LR to remain standalone, and to take on some additional PS features

I don't. I want Adobe to go 100% subscription and revert to their early business model of working for professional image makers and creatives. I am fed up of the noisy tail wagging the dog, they should free themselves of the noisy minority (of revenue streams) and focus on actual professionals, if that prices them out of the amateur market so be it, there are plenty of alternatives for those that don't see the value in the products and options Adobe give.

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
I don't. I want Adobe to go 100% subscription and revert to their early business model of working for professional image makers and creatives. I am fed up of the noisy tail wagging the dog, they should free themselves of the noisy minority (of revenue streams) and focus on actual professionals, if that prices them out of the amateur market so be it, there are plenty of alternatives for those that don't see the value in the products and options Adobe give.

You're the first person I've seen who actually agrees with me on this.

Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
mclaren777 said:
privatebydesign said:

Talk about naive.

Forever subscription....right.

Revert to earlier biz model, support pros...

RIIIIIIIIGHT. That's some good stuff you guys are drinkin'.

People so easily fool themselves...all that sweet revenue thats coming in is not being invested in products...its just to fatten the shareholders. Thier job is to make money for shareholders, not get you the best possible products for your money. And fat chance with your dreams of supporting professionals...like when they tied raw and lens profile updates to app updates...what a great help! Camera raw is still using 2012 process versions..even though its going on 2018. Please tell us how much better adobe raw versions have gotten since they went subscription only?

Continue to cut your nose to spite your faces. What kind of lunatics would want another monthly bill...wtf.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
ashmadux said:
mclaren777 said:
privatebydesign said:

Talk about naive.

Forever subscription....right.

Revert to earlier biz model, support pros...

RIIIIIIIIGHT. That's some good stuff you guys are drinkin'.

People so easily fool themselves...all that sweet revenue thats coming in is not being invested in products...its just to fatten the shareholders. Thier job is to make money for shareholders, not get you the best possible products for your money. And fat chance with your dreams of supporting professionals...like when they tied raw and lens profile updates to app updates...what a great help! Camera raw is still using 2012 process versions..even though its going on 2018. Please tell us how much better adobe raw versions have gotten since they went subscription only?

Continue to cut your nose to spite your faces. What kind of lunatics would want another monthly bill...wtf.

Businesses want monthly bills rather than a one off fee. It is 100% deductible and helps cash flow, it is a massive accounting benefit.

If I buy a $700 lens/software/capital expense it takes me three years for my business to offset that cost, effectively I loan my business money. If I lease that $700 lens/software/capital expense then my monthly payment is 100% deductible that year, I don't have to find the $700 and I don't have to effectively loan myself anything.

From a business standpoint monthly 'lease' payments are very important.

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
If I lease that $700 lens/software/capital expense then my monthly payment is 100% deductible that year, I don't have to find the $700 and I don't have to effectively loan myself anything.

Can you seriously not deduct a $700 purchase? I don't have to amortize anything below $1,000 here. I guess our tax laws in Quebec are pretty reasonable after all...

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
IglooEater said:
privatebydesign said:
If I lease that $700 lens/software/capital expense then my monthly payment is 100% deductible that year, I don't have to find the $700 and I don't have to effectively loan myself anything.

Can you seriously not deduct a $700 purchase? I don't have to amortize anything below $1,000 here. I guess our tax laws in Quebec are pretty reasonable after all...

No. If it is a capital purchase, even if it is a $1, it takes between three and ten years depending on it's classification to amortize.

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
IglooEater said:
privatebydesign said:

No. If it is a capital purchase, even if it is a $1, it takes between three and ten years depending on it's classification to amortize.

That makes me want to cry... curious where you're from?

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
IglooEater said:
privatebydesign said:
IglooEater said:
privatebydesign said:

That makes me want to cry... curious where you're from?

My business is registered in Florida.

As for C1P, I have heard so many good things about it, but every single time I have seen a demo it crashes. When you ask the power users about the crashes they just shrug and say 'yeh it crashes', I don't get that!

But the two programs are so different they suit, or not, users with different styles. If you are one that suits the C1P workflow it seems to have a lot of fans.

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
IglooEater said:
privatebydesign said:

Even so, I'm having trouble wrapping my head around spending MORE money to get a deductible sooner being better for the business. Deducting something reduces your effective reported income by the amount, but the money it saves in the end is only the taxes on the amount, its not equivalent to the amount itself.

A business that actually saves money on this must have an unbelievably high tax rate, or is running on ridiculously thin margins to make having more money now and less over long run somehow worth it.

I think big businesses like it because it spreads the cost evenly over time. (Who care what the business looks like in five years these days. We've got to have a great report to the stock holders this quarter!)

The slight increase in cost is chump change to a large business, and the evening of expenses over time is priceless. I'm sure they're happy to pay a bit more for it.

Upvote 0
But the two programs are so different they suit, or not, users with different styles. If you are one that suits the C1P workflow it seems to have a lot of fans.
[/quote]

Capture One does crash more than Lightroom, but I get far better results so I'm willing to put up with it.

As far as the workflow style, I am not at all a fan of Capture One's out of the box workflow, but you can re-order and customize to your heart's content. It took me about 10 minutes to create a workspace that is better suited to how I think than anything else I've used.

Upvote 0

Berowne

... they sparkle still the right Promethean fire.
Jun 7, 2014
davidcl0nel said:
I use currently the 5.7 and I didnt switch to the subscription model and I will never switch to it.
If there is no LR7 as an update, I stay with 5.7. I don't plan to buy a new camera, where I might be forced to do something, maybe in 3 years...

Convert to DNG and everything is fine. I use LR 5.7 and Photoshop CS5. Conversion is done with the Adobe DNG-Converter. Of course, the ARC of CS5 does not handle the RAW-Files of new Cameras, but this is no Problem. After DNG-Conversion there is no difference to my "old" *.CR2-Files.

Upvote 0
I certainly want those performance improvements. I have done as much as I can really on my end with a lot of the same things the source did from fast ram and lots of it to the SSD to of course a blazing CPU. It does help of course and make it somewhat workable.
My other wish is that they would enable watermark on LR mobile sync and help make that gallery a better tool for letting our clients select the images they want. I use it here and there with certain clients now and it works but doesn't work as well as it could! Clients need to be able to not just "heart" or comment and image but should be able to rate it and then have an option to show only those rated. Then those actions need to be applied to the image and an alert sent to me that they have done so. That data must be stored locally with the catalog too as well as in the cloud to provide redundancy.

Upvote 0