Patent: Some crazy fast RF mount prime lenses, including an RF 18mm f/1.0L

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Back in August, I mentioned that Canon was working on a whole line of f/1.2L prime lenses for the RF mount. So far we have the RF 50mm f/1.2L USM and the RF 85 f/1.2L USM, but there are more clues that more f/1.2L lenses are in the pipeline.
Canon News has uncovered the following optical designs for the RF mount.
Canon RF 18mm f/1.2L USM

Focal length 18.51mm
F-number 1.24
half angle of view (degree) 49.45°
Image height 21.64mm
Total lens length 129.00mm
BF 16.40mm

Canon RF 24mm f/1.2L USM

focal length 24.59mm
F-number 1.24
half angle (in degrees) 41.35°
Image height 21.64mm
Total lens length 129.01mm
BF 13.57mm

Canon RF 16mm f/1.4L USM

Focal length 16.42mm
F-number 1.43
Half angle of view (degree) 52.80°
Image height 21.64mm
Lens total length 133.46mm
BF 13.55mm...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I wonder if the more recent explosion in popularity for ultra-wide angle lenses on smartphones is encouraging them to look into these design options.
Smartphones don't even begin to compare with the light gathering ability of these lenses on an FF mount. If offering an alternative to a smartphone would be the goal here, I imagine these lenses would be f4 and focused on small size, instead of being so bright.

Seems to me like Canon wants to have camera system with truly leading low light performance. People mention all the time that they want an improvement in this regard, even though they sensor technology is basically as good as it will get in this regard. Faster glass, however, yields actual improvements.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Why is a small BF tight? what is the BF measurement?
The distance between the sensor and the last lens element, if I'm not mistaken. With the RF flange distance being 20mm, this means the lens sticks out beyond the mount quite a bit, which might mean this is not a practical design.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
And this is like "5 kg" lens. Old farts will never go to gym, in order to handle those lens. So we will no see those lens.
Apart from going into uncalled for assumptions with your commen, your argument is flawed.

For one, these lenses are very wide so they don't need to be as big and heavy as the already existing 1.2 RF primes. And as I said, there already are big and heavy primes in the RF lineup, showing that Canon does not hesitate to release such lenses if they provide sufficient quality to make up for it.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Wow! sure makes one wish he had a wheel barrow full of money.
And just how is an old fart going to roll that wheelbarrow to the bank? You have to get a strapping mirrorless millennial to roll it there for you. Then we can roll your wheelchair to the tripod where the 5kg lens is mounted. All set!

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0