Payphone - Maroon 5 Music Video Cover with the 60D

Hi guys,
My friends came to me and asked for help on a music video.
I have never done one in my life, so this was quite a mission.
To put things into perspective, we only had half of the song during the recording, making it very difficult to film a proper "story".
I was in charge of the video whereas my friends were in charge of the audio.
Audio equipment includes the IRig (cheesy, but handy) and Zoom h1 I believe.
Anyway, camera used was 60D, no rigs or any stabilizers (except for a tripod!)
Mainly used the 50mm 1.4, and occasionally switched to the 24-105mm when I needed wide shots or non-shaky shots.
Hope you enjoy it guys, give me some feedback (both video wise and singing wise)!
Thanks!

Payphone Music Video Cover - http://youtu.be/dpKtQ-1cOxE?hd=1

I also made a short film - Impossible (Short Film)
The script was a bit of a problem, so the acting was improvised.

Cgdillan

HDSLR Cinematographer/Photograper
Mar 20, 2012
1992-06-25
www.StockhamMedia.com
Not bad for first time work. I noticed quite a bit of over exposing in the music video. I also noticed an inconsistency in coloring. You may want to practice your coloring correction and color grading. There were also lots of shakes and jiggles that might have been nicer if there were a bit more steady. Vocals were a bit too hot in the recording of the song and could have used a little EQing to balance the tones out a bit. I also noticed some inconsistency in vocal levels. Try adding a compressor to the vocal track to balance the levels throughout the song. Keep working on the singing and you will only get better. I sounded like the two of you were holding back a bit and it compromised the vocal quality. Keep at it though.

The short film was better. Again, working on the color grading and the dialogue. a compressor would help the audio balance in volume and an EQ could help brighten the sound and bring up the presence a bit. I like you use of lighting in the work out shots. There was a shot during the workout were the character was outside and his shirt was blown out. It would be good to try and keep things natural and try not to blow out white shirts too much. This may make the face a bit under exposed but it will improve the overall quality of the shot. also, the shots of the push ups would have been cool to rack focus to the characters face when it came into frame. The dialogue between the two characters at the beginning, I noticed a pretty easy to fix(next time) error. When switching between two camera angle with people, you should stay on the same side of the two characters when you switch.

proper setup for two camera angles on two characters.

(Camera1) (Camera2)
\ /
\ /
/\
/ \
/ \
V V
(character) (table) (character)

This was what you did. Not the best angles of choice
(Camera1)
\
\
\
\
\
V
(character) (table) (character)
/\
\
\
\
\
(Camera 2)

Upvote 0
You are bloody brilliant sir!
I never knew about the camera angles, having to be on the same sides.
The overexposing was cause I couldn't see my screen as well in sunny areas, as well as the lack of a good nd filter.

You are lovely sir.
Thanks. I'll keep you updated, and I'll show your posy to my fellow friends that helped make the video.

Cheers

Upvote 0

Cgdillan

HDSLR Cinematographer/Photograper
Mar 20, 2012
1992-06-25
www.StockhamMedia.com
Eugene said:
You are bloody brilliant sir!
I never knew about the camera angles, having to be on the same sides.
The overexposing was cause I couldn't see my screen as well in sunny areas, as well as the lack of a good nd filter.

You are lovely sir.
Thanks. I'll keep you updated, and I'll show your posy to my fellow friends that helped make the video.

Cheers

I'm glad the info helped!

Before you start recording, press info until you see the histogram. You can make sure you are not blowing out my making sure the wave form is not touching the right side too much, preferably not at all. If you hold down the shutter button half way during recording you will see the meter pop up.it may help to try and keep that meter at 0. That basic meter isnt always perfect, but it is helpful. You don't need an ND filter, just close down your aperture or bring up your shutter speed. It may not be optimal, but it's better than over exposure.

Also, it's helpful to turn up your lcd brightness when your in daylight.

Upvote 0