Post processing opinion/advice

tayassu said:
sanj said:
Marsu42 said:
sanj said:
Thank you everyone for your efforts. REALLY appreciate. Am seeing so many different 'minds'.

I really like to compare development approaches, I wish there would be a "develop that!" raw file of the week, people would have a go and share their .xmp sidecar so everybody could see what's been done.

Maybe we should set up such a thread in the postprocessing section?

Lets do it! You start it, I will actively participate…!!

That is a great idea! :D

100% agree. It would be really useful on many levels. Totally support it!

Upvote 0
I feel the lions do not need to be "clearly" visible. These are silhouetted animals which are easily identifiable as-is. Your original process was great except maybe the sun/sky being posterized as mentioned earlier.

Anyway, here's my go at it . . .

Attachments

• _73O8016-1.jpg
    _73O8016-1.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 261
Upvote 0
dak723 said:
I didn't use the RAW - just processed the original JPG. To my eye, the photo's main subject is not the sunset, but the lions. Therefore the lions need to be clearly visible. Again, just my opinion. So all I did was lighten the darks and desaturate the colors a bit.

The image above *might* benefit from an increase in the black level or contrast level. But I haven't played with it myself so I won't comment further.

I can see this image both ways. In fact, I would probably create two versions - one like dak723 where the lions are easy to view and another that showcases the sunset more with the lions darker or in silhouette. (If that's possible.)

I think (and I'm only guessing here because I'm no expert) that the sunset would have come out better if a graduated ND had been used at the time. This would have helped balance the sun and avoid blowing out the highlights quite so much while allowing the lions to expose better. In other words, it would have given more DR to work with in post.

Upvote 0
aprotosimaki said:
tayassu said:
sanj said:
Marsu42 said:
sanj said:
Thank you everyone for your efforts. REALLY appreciate. Am seeing so many different 'minds'.

I really like to compare development approaches, I wish there would be a "develop that!" raw file of the week, people would have a go and share their .xmp sidecar so everybody could see what's been done.

Maybe we should set up such a thread in the postprocessing section?

Lets do it! You start it, I will actively participate…!!

That is a great idea! :D

100% agree. It would be really useful on many levels. Totally support it!

VERY good idea! Count me in as a supporter!! :D

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
Dylan777 said:

Beautiful photo sanj, regardless how you going to PP it

Couldn't help not participating in this beautiful photo. Although I'm not at the location, based the on raw, I'm seeing this...
i-NTzSNZM-X3.jpg

Larger View: http://dylannguyen.smugmug.com/Wildlife/Ant-Eater/i-NTzSNZM/A

But then again, I can be death wrong ;D

Upvote 0
Fun project you've given us
Tough call on that one
You want to accentuate the lions whilst retaining the visage of impending darkness, you don't want to take away from the spectacular sunset, but by the same token you don't want it to overpower the lions
The feeling is there even if you left it alone with no pp
Great capture

My attempt at a happy medium

Attachments

• Lion sunset redo.jpg
    Lion sunset redo.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 227
Upvote 0
Very Nice Photo,
I took the challenge and did my normal , First Into Lightroom,camera, lens and white balance corrected. Then to Photoshop , first I use a software I recommend and am an affiliate for Piccure+ does amazing small detail to the image as you were using a 5k prime and even then does small detail and cleanup. Next I use Luminosity Adjustment layers and used the dark and
dark dark layers to selectively bring out the Lions in the shadows desaturated a little , Just a nice capture tweaked shot in harse lighting
walphotography

Attachments

• ©WALPHOTOGRAPHY-5395.jpg
    ©WALPHOTOGRAPHY-5395.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 267
Upvote 0
there have been some comments about the colors being over orangish and such. i opened it up in dpp (no alteration, just convert to jpeg) i think the colors look better than acr/photoshop or lightroom it wont open in dxo (camera not supported)

p.s. this is kind of fun, there should be a timer. Everybody gets the same raw file and has 30 minutes to work with it, sort of an "iron chef" with pictures.

Attachments

• _73O8016dppb.JPG
    _73O8016dppb.JPG
    774.7 KB · Views: 239
Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
I apologize for posting a 2nd version. My first was the unprocessed JPG. The RAW file linked is a slightly different picture, so I used that this time. I liked the cropped version shown earlier, but thought the Lion looking at the viewer was important. Again, just lightened the foreground, and lowered saturation.

Attachments

• 73O8016dakrev3.jpg
    73O8016dakrev3.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 249
Upvote 0