Price of the 5D Mk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to Ken Rockwell's site (yes, I know)...

When the 5D MkII was first released back in Sept of 08, the price was $3,400.

He also listed the intro price of the D700 as $3000 when it was released in Aug of 08.

It wasn't until June of 2010 that the prices of both bodies dropped to around where they are now ($2400).

So why exactly is everybody screaming bloody murder about the price of the 5D? The Mk III is only $100 more than the 5D Mk II was when it was first introduced.

Link to the article:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d700/vs-5d-mark-ii.htm

B

briansquibb

Mt Spokane Photography said:
Sorry to burst your bubble, but the price of the 5D MK II was $2699 when it was first released in 2008. I bought one the day of the announcement. The kit price with a 24-105mm L lens was $800 more.

Ken Rockwell is not a serious source of information.

Look here at the original news release, $2699.

Looks like dear old Ken quoted the price of the kit + 24-105 on the 5DII. The price of my 5DII was £1695 at the beginning of 2010 - I actually bought it new - at the moment the only camera I have bought new and I haven't regretted a moment of it.

My 5DII has gone now after 2 years and about 20 weddings and the like. About 18,000 actuations of fun and good results. Picked up a cheap 7D to do macro duty (for the extra DOF). I loved the 5D2 but after getting the 1Ds3 it is clear that the 5D2 was redundant as it couldn't compete with usefullness of the 1Ds3 as a package.

I can wait for up to a year or so for the results of the tests of the 5DIII and the 1DX before deciding on a ff replacement. The 1D4 will probably stay through 2013 - f/8 is a dealbreaker for my birding/motorsports and I would prefer that on the ff replacement for the 1Ds3 as well

Upvote 0
briansquibb said:
Sorry to burst your bubble, but the price of the 5D MK II was $2699 when it was first released in 2008. I bought one the day of the announcement. The kit price with a 24-105mm L lens was $800 more.

Looks like dear old Ken quoted the price of the kit + 24-105 on the 5DII. The price of my 5DII was £1695 at the beginning of 2010 - I actually bought it new - at the moment the only camera I have bought new and I haven't regretted a moment of it.

My 5DII has gone now after 2 years and about 20 weddings and the like. About 18,000 actuations of fun and good results. Picked up a cheap 7D to do macro duty (for the extra DOF). I loved the 5D2 but after getting the 1Ds3 it is clear that the 5D2 was redundant as it couldn't compete with usefullness of the 1Ds3 as a package.

I can wait for up to a year or so for the results of the tests of the 5DIII and the 1DX before deciding on a ff replacement. The 1D4 will probably stay through 2013 - f/8 is a dealbreaker for my birding/motorsports and I would prefer that on the ff replacement for the 1Ds3 as well

Man you shoot absolutely everything,
Like a somali pirate on a cruise ship :D

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

wickidwombat said:
briansquibb said:

Man you shoot absolutely everything,
Like a somali pirate on a cruise ship :D

Now that my income is through a pension it means I am now a full time photographer. In my time honoured tradition - here is a picture from my latest lens, on the 1Ds3 at iso100 (of course). In a year's time it will be interesting to know whether this will be taken with a 1Dx or a 5DIII (although neuros info that the metering is not linked to the selected AF point has pushed me more towards the 1DX which can also meter of more than 1 selected AF points like the 1D4 and 1Ds3)

Glad to say that the attraction this was taken at have now hung some 30 A3 photos of mine and will be using several 'aged' Victorian scenes for postcards and their website

Attachments

• IMG_3513x.jpg
    IMG_3513x.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 651
Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

This is the 8-15 fisheye. I got up in the roof for this - look at the people in top right and top left to get the scale

There is a tremendous potential for artistic impressions from this. As there is no distortion in the center you can create picture like this. Got the young lady to stand still for 10 sec - 1Ds3 @ iso 200

Still learning how to push the boundries with this lens - especially at 15mm. Works best on the ff 1Ds3 - the results on the 1D4 are not so impressive

Attachments

• IMG_3478.JPG
    IMG_3478.JPG
    714.1 KB · Views: 621
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.