Reuters ban RAW ?

Dec 17, 2013
I might point out that Reuters is a news agency and not a post-processing lab. If you waste a lot of time post-processing the RAW file "just so", your competitor photographer has likely delivered usable jpgs and the jpgs will have been posted by the time you finish putzing with the file. Look, it's a 24 second news cycle, not a 24 hour news cycle nowadays.

Upvote 0
NancyP said:
I might point out that Reuters is a news agency and not a post-processing lab. If you waste a lot of time post-processing the RAW file "just so", your competitor photographer has likely delivered usable jpgs and the jpgs will have been posted by the time you finish putzing with the file. Look, it's a 24 second news cycle, not a 24 hour news cycle nowadays.

my gut feel is that reuters wants photos that are not processed unduely so that the posisbility of faked images is reduced.

Question is.. how can they tell the difference between a JPEG produced from a raw image and one straight from camera?.. surely at most the difference is just a detail in the EXIF that could be faked anyway.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
dilbert said:
Any image can be photoshop'd so the first paragraph doesn't make sense.

It's what NancyP said - Reuters don't want to waste time creating an image, they want the finished product. They don't care if it is JPEG out of your DSLR, iPhone or Photoshop. Just don't expect them to spend time doing "photograph developing."

Sports photographers nearly always shoot JPEG and not just for performance reasons. They shoot lots of images that they will throw away so they don't want to fill up storage space with lots of garbage. Similarly they don't want to waste time "getting the image right in post" - they aim to get it right when the shutter button is pushed so that they spend more time out taking photographs and less time in the office "developing photographs." Plus what newspapers, etc, want from them isn't raw files (which may or may not work with their software.)

Agencies, etc, need to be able to take output from the latest camera as soon as it hits the shelves. They don't want to complicate their workflow with needing the latest copy of raw conversion software from each camera maker nor be reliant on ACR, etc, to accept images from photographers. So they arrive at the "lowest common denominator" - which is JPEG. Anything else costs time and money that is of questionable benefit.

Imagine being Reuters: a car bomb goes off in New York and images start pouring in. On the one hand you've got submissions in JPEG that you can use immediately and sell on to others "now" and on the other hand you've got submissions in XYZ's raw format that you need to hand off to someone specific to render before selling. On the one hand you've got a finished product, on the other you've got a product that is not ready to be sold.

btw, I'm pretty sure that Reuters isn't alone in this and that other agencies (such as Getty) and newspapers in general will all only take submissions in JPEG format.

Hey dilbert, if I give you a dollar, will you go buy a clue? Pretty please??

Upvote 0
I think maybe misunderstanding about Reuters memo.

They said "Reuters has implemented a new worldwide policy for freelance photographers that bans photos that were processed from RAW files. Photographers must now only send photos that were originally saved to their cameras as JPEGs."

They do not say that they are banning RAW files (although that may already be a requirement, I don't know), only banning photos that were PROCESSED from raw files.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
JohnLofy said:
I think maybe misunderstanding about Reuters memo.

They said "Reuters has implemented a new worldwide policy for freelance photographers that bans photos that were processed from RAW files. Photographers must now only send photos that were originally saved to their cameras as JPEGs."

They do not say that they are banning RAW files (although that may already be a requirement, I don't know), only banning photos that were PROCESSED from raw files.

No misunderstanding. I think this is S0P for photojournalists, now official for all Reuters submissions.

Reduces manipulation.

Upvote 0
dilbert said:
rfdesigner said:
NancyP said:

my gut feel is that reuters wants photos that are not processed unduely so that the posisbility of faked images is reduced.

Question is.. how can they tell the difference between a JPEG produced from a raw image and one straight from camera?.. surely at most the difference is just a detail in the EXIF that could be faked anyway.

Any image can be photoshop'd so the first paragraph doesn't make sense.

It's what NancyP said - Reuters don't want to waste time creating an image, they want the finished product. They don't care if it is JPEG out of your DSLR, iPhone or Photoshop. Just don't expect them to spend time doing "photograph developing."

Sports photographers nearly always shoot JPEG and not just for performance reasons. They shoot lots of images that they will throw away so they don't want to fill up storage space with lots of garbage. Similarly they don't want to waste time "getting the image right in post" - they aim to get it right when the shutter button is pushed so that they spend more time out taking photographs and less time in the office "developing photographs." Plus what newspapers, etc, want from them isn't raw files (which may or may not work with their software.)

Agencies, etc, need to be able to take output from the latest camera as soon as it hits the shelves. They don't want to complicate their workflow with needing the latest copy of raw conversion software from each camera maker nor be reliant on ACR, etc, to accept images from photographers. So they arrive at the "lowest common denominator" - which is JPEG. Anything else costs time and money that is of questionable benefit.

Imagine being Reuters: a car bomb goes off in New York and images start pouring in. On the one hand you've got submissions in JPEG that you can use immediately and sell on to others "now" and on the other hand you've got submissions in XYZ's raw format that you need to hand off to someone specific to render before selling. On the one hand you've got a finished product, on the other you've got a product that is not ready to be sold.

btw, I'm pretty sure that Reuters isn't alone in this and that other agencies (such as Getty) and newspapers in general will all only take submissions in JPEG format.

They're not talking about people sending in raw files, they are talking about people sending in jpegs that were processed FROM raw files.

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
Holy cow there is a lot of garbage being thrown around about this topic today.

First: I see this as a means to lower the amount they pay freelancers and a lowered standard for quality. Nothing about this is for "faked" images...you can't fake an image by processing a RAW file, you do that in Photoshop! RAW simply allow nondestructive alteration to the esthetic and increased latitude for exposure corrections.

Second: JPEG is about speed. Speed in transfer, upload, and delivery. RAW is slow. To minimize this reduction in speed, many of us already have a "recipe" we've created to all uploads into Lightroom. JPEG is widely used by many sports photographers and journalists for speed alone. Any of them that tells you JPEG is better is simply an idiot...and anyone that keeps preaching the "get it right in camera" nonsense is lost in the woods of ignorance.

My clients hire me for my final product. How I get there is literally my business. Professional sports teams, race teams, and magazines have never asked for out of camera JPEGs because they don't want me to change anything. They expect quality. I go through every image in only deliver the images that meet my expectations.

If you're already going through each image, it's very easy to apply minimal changes to a RAW file. If you're not touching every single image and looking at them, I have no idea how you possibly keep getting work. It's not the clients job to go through your images and find the "keepers".

Upvote 0

Dec 18, 2014
rfdesigner said:
NancyP said:

It's har to give a RAW derivate the EXIF of a camera JPEG out of Lightroom or something. But: Take your RAW and process it ad lib to a .jpg. Then open the original companion JPEG and and replace the content with with the RAW derivate. And your "level adjusments" are done...
Up next: How to get writing journalists to give up MS Word and start using MS Notepad...

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Don Haines said:
and the race to the bottom continues......
+1 to this comment
-1000 to Reuters

I can understand Reuters that they're not willing to handle RAW files. But that's not the point here.
Reuters is trying to patronize the photogs in their working style up to the point when they receive a JPEG from them. What the... :eek: ::) :mad:

I cannot understand why, as I don't believe that the pictures will become more "truthfully" or that they could control that.

LSXPhotog said:
My clients hire me for my final product. How I get there is literally my business.
That's my thought. If JPEG works better for me and is cheaper, okay. If I want RAW in my PP process to deliver a good JPEG, that's my decission.

Upvote 0
If banning RAW speeds up the workflow and the known shortcomings are acceptable to Reuters then who are we to judge?

If Reuter's customers wants faster deliverables and and want it that way then that's the way it has to be.

Customer's always right, if you disagree then do not accept their business. ;)

Upvote 0