Show your Bird Portraits

reef58

EOS RP
Apr 16, 2016
I guess this thread is not about image processing, but I've been playing with tone mapping some single exposure files and wanted this group's opinion. How's this version?
Nice shots. I like both, but you have to make your own choice. Do it how you like and you photos will show your style.

Reactions: Bert63

Bert63

EOS 80D
Dec 3, 2017
Whidbey Island, Washington
I guess this thread is not about image processing, but I've been playing with tone mapping some single exposure files and wanted this group's opinion. How's this version?View attachment 188900
For me it's a bit saturated, but it's a subjective topic. Sometimes I'll process a picture and then come back to it later and wonder what I was thinking. Then I'll change it and months later I like the first chop better..

Nowadays I try to leave things as SOTC as I can. I've finally realized that I can't fix bad pictures with PP. lololol...

Last edited:

AlanF

Stay alert, control the camera, save photos
Aug 16, 2012
I guess this thread is not about image processing, but I've been playing with tone mapping some single exposure files and wanted this group's opinion. How's this version?View attachment 188900
Translating the polite comments so far and what I like, the second is unnatural. Some of the pros really boost the colours etc to make vibrant images but I belong to the keep it as natural as possible school.

Reactions: Jack Douglas

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Translating the polite comments so far and what I like, the second is unnatural. Some of the pros really boost the colours etc to make vibrant images but I belong to the keep it as natural as possible school.
That's my feeling exactly - it has to look natural. Unless of course you are going for a special look that is not meant to be natural.

Jack

Reactions: AlanF

AlanF

Stay alert, control the camera, save photos
Aug 16, 2012
The Peregrine Falcon is back! Last year, I posted some photos of the chick, like the one at the top here. Now the adult is getting ready to nest. They remind of Shelley's lines
'My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!'
as they stare imperiously down.
3Q7A0504-DxO_Peregrine_falcon_chick_faceon_560mm_morecrop.jpg
DSC_4868-DxO_Peregrine_1.jpg
DSC_4873-DxO_Peregrine_1.jpg

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Don - my friend wants to meet your friend.

This is a brand new baby who was following his parents from tree to tree through the forest we were camping in. They were incredibly noisy.. :oops:

7D2 / 100-400L II @ 400mm / F5.6 / 1/100 / ISO 400

View attachment 188901
nice shot!

I haven’t managed to get decent shots of the young, but yes, the red crest on the top of the head is certainly not as vibrant as the adults. When you catch them in the sunlight it has to be about the most vibrant red I have seen in nature..... even the cardinals look dull by comparison!

Reactions: HankMD and Bert63

Bert63

EOS 80D
Dec 3, 2017

Bert63

EOS 80D
Dec 3, 2017
Okay, so. In honor of the upcoming feathr change (already starting in fact) I went Horned Grebe stalking down at my local marina yesterday.

I live on an Island and the local marina is about a mile down the hill and is one of my favorite places on the planet. You never know what's going to show up down there.

There was a construction truck parked out on the grass behind the subjects and at first I hated it - then I saw how their orange sign reflected and matched the grebe's eyes so WINNER.

It was very early on an overcast morning so good but weird light.

Also included a DxO screenshot for a review of PP. Critique welcome.

EOS-R / 100-400L II @ 560mm / F8 / 1/640 / ISO 125

EOSR4539 - DxO.jpg

EOSR4539 3 - DxO.jpg

EOSR4539 1 - DxO.jpg

Desktop.jpg

Bert63

EOS 80D
Dec 3, 2017
So, Buffleheads. (not you, the subject in the photos)

If you don't have these little ducks where you live you're missing out.

They're perpetually happy (look at the bill and tell me you don't see them smiling).

They're excellent swimmers.

They're also really hard (for me) to get a good picture of - the males anyway. Either I don't capture the colors in the head feathers adequately, or in the process of trying to capture the colors in the head feathers I blow out the highlights of that screaming white body.. Add to that the fact that the eyes are totally dark - almost black - and it always presents a challenge in any kind of decent light.

Three pictures - the first because of the colors in the head really stand out, the second because the reflection was really nice, and the third is of the hen in honor of the upcoming "season..."

Critique welcome.

Top Two - EOS-R / 100-400L II w/1.4X III @ 560mm / F8 / 1/800 / ISO 250

Bottom - 5D4 / 100-400L II w/1.4X III @ 560mm / F9 / 1/320 / ISO 800

EOSR4869 - DxO-studio.jpg

EOSR4872 - DxO-studio.jpg

BNV20951 - Full Size Edit-studio.jpg