Show your Bird Portraits

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
After pile of excellent photos now it looks sleepy here...
My contribution from today - Hawaiian Coot and Red-whiskered Bulbul.
On the first picture - "Normally" looking Hawaiian Coot, next two are kind of rare morph (not just because of the red "shield" but also due to the white feathers here and there).

Attachments

• Fulica alai - Hawaiian Coot 3.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 81
  • Fulica alai - Hawaiian Coot 10 Morph.jpg
    Fulica alai - Hawaiian Coot 10 Morph.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 104
  • Fulica alai - Hawaiian Coot 11 Morph.jpg
    Fulica alai - Hawaiian Coot 11 Morph.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 92
  • Pycnonotus jocosus - Red whiskered bulbul 8.jpg
    Pycnonotus jocosus - Red whiskered bulbul 8.jpg
    561.3 KB · Views: 84
  • Pycnonotus jocosus - Red whiskered bulbul 9.jpg
    Pycnonotus jocosus - Red whiskered bulbul 9.jpg
    948.9 KB · Views: 85
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
ISv said:
On the first picture - "Normally" looking Hawaiian Coot, next two are kind of rare morph (not just because of the red "shield" but also due to the white feathers here and there).
Coots don't usually turn me on but it's nice seeing the variants. On the other hand, I am absolute sucker for bulbuls - we don't get them in the UK and I love to see them.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
An interesting morning. A gadwall came into range of 800mm on the 5DIV. Let's call him Harvey, for a few minutes later he nearly drowned a female with his attentions.
A nuthatch was in posing mode. I was particularly happy to get a shot of a siskind as I don't see them often and they are usually high up in foliage. This is where the Canon's centre spot focus is so good for isolating a small bird buried in foliage.

Attachments

• siskind_2B4A5444-DxO_siskind.jpg
    siskind_2B4A5444-DxO_siskind.jpg
    430.8 KB · Views: 88
  • nuthatch_2B4A5560-DxO_nuthatch.jpg
    nuthatch_2B4A5560-DxO_nuthatch.jpg
    819.8 KB · Views: 102
  • gadwall_mating_2B4A5489-DxO_gadwall_mating.jpg
    gadwall_mating_2B4A5489-DxO_gadwall_mating.jpg
    731.8 KB · Views: 90
  • gadwall_2B4A5484-DxO_small.jpg
    gadwall_2B4A5484-DxO_small.jpg
    699.3 KB · Views: 89
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Click said:
Nice series, ISv. I especially like the last picture.

Thanks Click! Unfortunately it was so muddy and difficult to stabilize the tripod. Windy too. Otherwise I also like the last one better - because of the surroundings (if you know good method to remove that ugly big leaf on the left site I'll send you a beer ;)!).

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
AlanF said:
ISv said:
Coots don't usually turn me on but it's nice seeing the variants. On the other hand, I am absolute sucker for bulbuls - we don't get them in the UK and I love to see them.

First - very nice pictures (and I'm with Click in my preference)!
For me the Coots are more interesting because they are endemic to the islands (and as Jack mention - they are very old species), bulbuls are introduction. We have two species of bulbuls and they are everywhere (pest actually). But if you like them - enjoy!
It doesn't mean I hate them, I just have full mouth of them already :)!

Attachments

• Pycnonotus cafer - Red-vented bulbul 19.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 89
  • Pycnonotus cafer - Red-vented bulbul 18.jpg
    Pycnonotus cafer - Red-vented bulbul 18.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 99
Upvote 0
ISv said:
AlanF said:
ISv said:
Beautiful shot and Beautiful Bird!

First - very nice pictures (and I'm with Click in my preference)!
For me the Coots are more interesting because they are endemic to the islands (and as Jack mention - they are very old species), bulbuls are introduction. We have two species of bulbuls and they are everywhere (pest actually). But if you like them - enjoy!
It doesn't mean I hate them, I just have full mouth of them already :)!

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Well, and few from today...

And now, I may sound harsh to some guys but my problem is the last pic: I have seen many comments claiming "why the DR matters that much, those are guys that don't know how to take the right exposure". My opinion - there is no brand that can offer a sensor with really high DR (well, on other hand the bird was looking completely black to my eyes)! The differences between the brands are not significant enough to make a difference in situation like this (huh, I would like the experts that are saying "DR doesn't matter" taking pictures next to me - and really better once!!!
I love the composition, I love everything in this picture... but not the picture quality (+2EV when taken, harsh PP in DxO PL after that, but no local adjustments - simply because they are not going to make any real difference!).

Attachments

• Paroaria coronata - Red Crested Cardinal 10.jpg
    Paroaria coronata - Red Crested Cardinal 10.jpg
    597.7 KB · Views: 84
  • Sicalis flaveola - Saffron Finch 15 Male.jpg
    Sicalis flaveola - Saffron Finch 15 Male.jpg
    939.3 KB · Views: 80
  • Sicalis flaveola - Saffron Finch 16 Male.jpg
    Sicalis flaveola - Saffron Finch 16 Male.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 82
  • Lonchura atricapilla - Chestnut Mannikin 18.jpg
    Lonchura atricapilla - Chestnut Mannikin 18.jpg
    404.8 KB · Views: 106
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
ISv said:
And now, I may sound harsh to some guys but my problem is the last pic: I have seen many comments claiming "why the DR matters that much, those are guys that don't know how to take the right exposure". My opinion - there is no brand that can offer a sensor with really high DR (well, on other hand the bird was looking completely black to my eyes)! The differences between the brands are not significant enough to make a difference in situation like this (huh, I would like the experts that are saying "DR doesn't matter" taking pictures next to me - and really better once!!!
I love the composition, I love everything in this picture... but not the picture quality (+2EV when taken, harsh PP in DxO PL after that, but no local adjustments - simply because they are not going to make any real difference!).

I'd like to see the image without the "harsh PP in DxO PL", as you have posted it it is not evidence of a DR issue as neither the blacks nor whites are clipped.

In a situation like that I'd expose for the bird/subject, which at +2 it sounds like you did, and let the background be damned.

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
privatebydesign said:
ISv said:

I'd like to see the image without the "harsh PP in DxO PL", as you have posted it it is not evidence of a DR issue as neither the blacks nor whites are clipped.

In a situation like that I'd expose for the bird/subject, which at +2 it sounds like you did, and let the background be damned.

OK, I will send the NEF file to you (personal message, otherwise I don't know how to make it with the file size restrictions) . Now Windows 8.1 (and I assume Windows 10) are able to open the RAW (NEF) files from my camera. And I made a mistake - in this particular image the correction was +1EV. I will send also an image made with +2.

Upvote 0