Show your Bird Portraits

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Huh? I just found that in "private messaging" I can't send an attachment (still learning the site).
Here you have the original JEPG file (the NEF is to much big) after downgrading in PS.
The second one is with +2EV correction.

Attachments

• DSC_4092.jpg
    990.6 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC_4098.jpg
    840.8 KB · Views: 81
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
ISv said:
Well, and few from today...

And now, I may sound harsh to some guys but my problem is the last pic: I have seen many comments claiming "why the DR matters that much, those are guys that don't know how to take the right exposure". My opinion - there is no brand that can offer a sensor with really high DR (well, on other hand the bird was looking completely black to my eyes)! The differences between the brands are not significant enough to make a difference in situation like this (huh, I would like the experts that are saying "DR doesn't matter" taking pictures next to me - and really better once!!!
I love the composition, I love everything in this picture... but not the picture quality (+2EV when taken, harsh PP in DxO PL after that, but no local adjustments - simply because they are not going to make any real difference!).

Another very nice series. I especially like the Chestnut Mannikin. Well done. :)

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Click said:
ISv said:
Well, and few from today...

And now, I may sound harsh to some guys but my problem is the last pic: I have seen many comments claiming "why the DR matters that much, those are guys that don't know how to take the right exposure". My opinion - there is no brand that can offer a sensor with really high DR (well, on other hand the bird was looking completely black to my eyes)! The differences between the brands are not significant enough to make a difference in situation like this (huh, I would like the experts that are saying "DR doesn't matter" taking pictures next to me - and really better once!!!
I love the composition, I love everything in this picture... but not the picture quality (+2EV when taken, harsh PP in DxO PL after that, but no local adjustments - simply because they are not going to make any real difference!).

Another very nice series. I especially like the Chestnut Mannikin. Well done. :)

Thanks Click! I hope you are joking about your preference ???
I'm attaching two older pics - there you can see the bird (in the typical "plump" configuration).

Attachments

• Lonchura atricapilla - Chestnut Mannikin 10.jpg
    Lonchura atricapilla - Chestnut Mannikin 10.jpg
    383.4 KB · Views: 80
  • Lonchura atricapilla - Chestnut Mannikin 7.jpg
    Lonchura atricapilla - Chestnut Mannikin 7.jpg
    536.5 KB · Views: 81
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
ISv said:
Click said:

Thanks Click! I hope you are joking about your preference ???
I'm attaching two older pics - there you can see the bird (in the typical "plump" configuration).

Joking? Not at all.

I really prefer this picture.

index.php

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
ISv said:
Huh? I just found that in "private messaging" I can't send an attachment (still learning the site).
Here you have the original JEPG file (the NEF is to much big) after downgrading in PS.

You don't have a "DR problem" your subject is grossly underexposed, you really need to shoot manual or use EC with focus point linked spot metering. Also what little light is falling on your subject has absolutely zero contrast so the tonal range within the subjects dark brown to black plumage is minimal.

But please PM me a link to a dropbox of the NEF, I'd love to play with it.

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
privatebydesign said:
ISv said:

You don't have a "DR problem" your subject is grossly underexposed, you really need to shoot manual or use EC with focus point linked spot metering. Also what little light is falling on your subject has absolutely zero contrast so the tonal range within the subjects dark brown to black plumage is minimal.

But please PM me a link to a dropbox of the NEF, I'd love to play with it.

Sorry for the late answer!
"Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?" - I would take an advise even from the devil if it works in photography;)!
But seriously: it was opportunistic shooting - like roll the wheel to plus, burst, roll again, burst and it's over. It just happen to have +1EV after the first roll and +2 after the second. To switch from center-weighted to spot would be easier/faster (and more effective)- agree with you... lack of skills or most probably fast reaction/thinking (I came to super telelens- from 105 mm macro, where the spot metering was nearly every-time). I don't know what exactly do you mean with the last sentence, but if you send me personal message with e-mail address I have no problem to send you the NEF file (I'm old school boy, but you hardly can expect something else from 60++ old guy).

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
And to avoid sending messages without photos - few old ones: the first two where somewhat kind of message that I eventually can do it (from macro to telephoto/birds, took me 4-5 months to that point). The last 3 are from the last summer.
The Common Mynas are the hooligans in the local bird's world. Very smart and funny but rude to the smaller...

Attachments

• Acridotheres tristis - Common Myna 3.jpg
    Acridotheres tristis - Common Myna 3.jpg
    799.3 KB · Views: 79
  • Acridotheres tristis - Common Myna 2.jpg
    Acridotheres tristis - Common Myna 2.jpg
    759.3 KB · Views: 97
  • Padda oryzivora - Java Sparrow 7B.jpg
    Padda oryzivora - Java Sparrow 7B.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 80
  • Leiothrix lutea - Red Billed Leiothrix 5.jpg
    Leiothrix lutea - Red Billed Leiothrix 5.jpg
    729.8 KB · Views: 87
  • Leiothrix lutea - Red Billed Leiothrix 4B.jpg
    Leiothrix lutea - Red Billed Leiothrix 4B.jpg
    801.2 KB · Views: 85
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Oh to have access to the birds that ISv does! ;)

I'm sometimes found grumbling about not having the MPs of the 5D4. Perhaps I should be happy to have pretty good high ISO capability. This shot I could do some selective NR to improve but as is, it shows what ISO 12500 looks like when I don't have to crop too much. 400 X2

Jack

Attachments

• Cedar waxwing_s_21720.JPG
    Cedar waxwing_s_21720.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 114
Upvote 0