Show your Bird Portraits

Berowne

... they sparkle still the right Promethean fire.
Jun 7, 2014
Andy - you have hit my weak spot. I love beeeaters.We don't get them in the UK and I always try to hunt them down when travelling.
Alan, our beeeaters are living in a partly "open" enclosure in the Frankfurt Zoo. Here is a link: Vogelbüsche

AlanF

Everyone sits in the prison of his own ideas. A E
Aug 16, 2012
Another fine shot Click!
Thanks Click, can't resist to Show a Picture, taken on Saturday (again and again) of our big "Fächertaube" (Victoria crowned pigeon) - a real Beauty. :)
Your immigrant is more handsome than the local Kuala Lumpur one I shot on Sunday. Here is their Victoria Crowned Pigeon for the record.
DSC01918-DxO_victoriacrownedpigeon.jpg

Reactions: Berowne and Click

Nat_WA

EOS 7D mk.II
Aug 15, 2017
Netherlands
Beautiful, Alan. Thanks for sharing! Here is a bee eater, spotted Saturday in our local Zoo.
Greetings Andy
Hi Andy, I like the picture - and the bee-eaters; but at the risk of being considered pedantic - you might try to reduce the exposure and/or contrast a bit / pull back on the highlights... These bee-eaters have beautifully coloured plumage which doesn't optimally show in your picture with the bird in the bright sunlight - all its colours are in the upper part of the histogram causing them to loose some of their brilliance. Pulling back a little bit could enhance the brilliance of the birds plumage and lift your picture to an even higher level.
Hope you don't mind my giving this advice, certainly no offence intended...!
Wiebe.

Reactions: Berowne

AlanF

Aug 16, 2012
Advice given in good spirit is useful and welcome. I got knocked into shape by a bunch of Dutch guys, and the Dutch are famous for being direct.

Berowne

... they sparkle still the right Promethean fire.
Jun 7, 2014
Hi Andy, I like the picture - and the bee-eaters; but at the risk of being considered pedantic - you might try to reduce the exposure and/or contrast a bit / pull back on the highlights... These bee-eaters have beautifully coloured plumage which doesn't optimally show in your picture with the bird in the bright sunlight - all its colours are in the upper part of the histogram causing them to loose some of their brilliance. Pulling back a little bit could enhance the brilliance of the birds plumage and lift your picture to an even higher level.
Hope you don't mind my giving this advice, certainly no offence intended...!
Wiebe.
Thanks for the hint, Wiebe. Your comments are always welcome!
Here are two more shots, the first without any changes and the second with camera calibration set to "landscape" and the Gradation curve set to medium contrast. Our "Fächertaube" is BTW always sitting in her nest in Darkness (ISO 6400).
CRF-1-30.jpg
CRF-2-7.jpg

Reactions: Nat_WA and Click

AlanF

Aug 16, 2012
The second has more oomph, but I don't mind the first if the colours reflect reality. Some people like to enhance colour saturation and vibrance, and it can look spectacular, but I am happy also with the genuine natural dull colours.

Reactions: HankMD and Berowne

AlanF

Aug 16, 2012
I have a confession to make. For our big upcoming safari in November, I bought a Sony RX10 IV to accompany my 5DIV + 400mm DO II and my wife's 5DSR + 100-400mm II + M5 and 18-150 etc so we can both do birds and far away wild life with our favourite Canon gear but also have a compact wide range zoom at hand if the big animals come close and not have to change lenses. My current travel to the Far East has had me going through 6 airports in the past 5 days with another 2 this week and so I brought the Sony with me and used it for all the last 5 days postings (apart from the one old shot). No 8.8-220mm zoom has the right to be that sharp and CA free, as well as having low disortion, giving the 24-600mm FF equivalent, and the AF is spectacular. At isos of 500 and below it gives the 5DSR and 100-400mm II a run for its money. Of course my Canon gear wins out when comes to high iso work and the ability to AF in low light, which is essential for a lot of the time, but in reasonable light, you can do a lot with the 1" sensor. I bought a G3X 24-600mm equivalent when they first came out hoping to use it for travel. But, the lens was never up to it as was the AF for bird photography and cropping.