Show your Bird Portraits

AlanF

EOS 5DS R
Aug 16, 2012
So you were using the RX10...
If you had not given the hint about 1" sensor I wouldn't have guessed!
Excellent shots, lots of sharpness in the birds while background is nice and soft (and nicely contrasting darkish green but that is totally due to the photographer ;))

Have a safe flight out!
W.
Thanks Wiebe, and a nice shot of a Grey Heron (or Blue, where you are). Yes, the last week's photos in Malaysia and Hong Kong were all on the RX10IV. It's the current perfect travel camera for when it is not convenient to take the heavy gear, and after this work out I am very happy with it. I got back safely a little earlier today. Unfortunately, Hong Kong is now forecast to be on the direct path of supertyphoon Mangkhut.

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Great capture! Beautiful bird.
Handsome bird, handsomely photographed, Max!
Thanks, bluediablo and AlanF.
The falcon was sitting on its post on a lead in the bright sun.
Surely it would have preferred to rise in the sky and somehow I would have done that, too. :cry:
But so I had the chance to work with my model quite intensively ;)

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
Apr 30, 2017
WOW! Pile of beutifull photos in the time I was hiding from the next tropical storm! No way to get a personal credit to every one - it would take to much space on the forum!
I would like to notice two things: Wiebe is right in his identification of the Grey Heron (immature). BTW I wish I was wrong: the Great Blue is much more rare (just vagrant!) in Europe (it means more valuable shot for him... sorry Wiebe!)!
Well, and that Girfalcon - it's a fascinating bird (especially the white form!)! Nice shots!
By no mean the other shots are less of value, there are actually even better shots (technical approach), they just didn't strike me that strong!
My contribution is rather poor: Cacatua (hybrid between the White crested and the Salmon Crested I suspect) from before the storm and just an African Silver-bill hiding as usually at this time (around noon, very hot day) in the mangrove above a swamp (yesterday). The Silver bill was already separated in pars with rare single birds - preparing for breeding! A dense group of ~ 10-15 birds.

Attachments

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
Apr 30, 2017
Beautiful birds. Very nice pictures, ISv.
Thanks Click!
Cockatoos were 5-6 different species (I don't know, may be 30-50 birds in total, probably less) in that particular area before (no other areas with stable presence of these birds on the Island!). After that somebody decided they are too dangerous for the local biotope! There are different reasons given as a support of that hypotese (even the anecdotical one that they are actually kiling some endemic palms!). In fact they are really very noisy and this is the more probably the reason why they are not welcome... Now the population is significantly smaller and they interbreed washing out the differences in-between the species still present there... It's a sad story: there is a difference between controlling the population of unwanted species and totally killing that species!

AlanF

EOS 5DS R
Aug 16, 2012
WOW! Pile of beutifull photos in the time I was hiding from the next tropical storm! No way to get a personal credit to every one - it would take to much space on the forum!
I would like to notice two things: Wiebe is right in his identification of the Grey Heron (immature). BTW I wish I was wrong: the Great Blue is much more rare (just vagrant!) in Europe (it means more valuable shot for him... sorry Wiebe!)!
Well, and that Girfalcon - it's a fascinating bird (especially the white form!)! Nice shots!
By no mean the other shots are less of value, there are actually even better shots (technical approach), they just didn't strike me that strong!
My contribution is rather poor: Cacatua (hybrid between the White crested and the Salmon Crested I suspect) from before the storm and just an African Silver-bill hiding as usually at this time (around noon, very hot day) in the mangrove above a swamp (yesterday). The Silver bill was already separated in pars with rare single birds - preparing for breeding! A dense group of ~ 10-15 birds.
What camera and lens were using for these nice shots? Unfortunately, CR removes the EXIF now.

Nat_WA

Thinking of a new line... Ow, that hurts
Aug 15, 2017
Netherlands
Nice shots ISv, especially the pair of silver-bills.

What camera and lens were using for these nice shots? Unfortunately, CR removes the EXIF now.
We're not allowed to divulge the camera brand and type ISv uses on the canon forum:p; but i assume the lens used is a 200-500mm f/5.6 zoom from a good pedigree :D
W.